China 72 hour visa free stay

woodley

Has anyone got any experience of the 72 hour visa free layover in beijing.

I would like to know how long it took to exit the airport and was the whole process hassle free, if not what were the problems.

We are considering doing this on the way back from Hong kong to USA but cannot find very much recent information about it.

Has anyone got any experience of the 72 hour visa free layover in beijing.

I would like to know how long it took to exit the airport and was the whole process hassle free, if not what were the problems.

We are considering doing this on the way back from Hong kong to USA but cannot find very much recent information about it.

There ought not be any hassles...you'll be flying from HK to Beijing, yes? It is the way the visa-free exemption is designed to work, no other method of transit is specified within the exclusion rules. Also, travelers must remain within the zone/district/province that they will be visiting, i.e. in Beijing is comprised of several districts but in the three days you'll likely be occupied with the main attractions and this won't be an issue.

China instituted this visa exemption in order to accommodate the greatly increasing number of visitors, most of whom are of course already carrying passports so that immigration was a bit easier and people can see the country after a cruise or business trip and before heading to their home country. I included a link below that gives an overview of the visa terms and conditions that I hope will help.

I wish you a great voyage - my first land visit in China was just fascinating and unforgettable :)

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-72hour/

Please to inquire would this work for cruise port in Shanghai?

In theory yes but Cruise operators haven't been letting people board without visas. (this was a recent change - within the last year- to allow some ports in addition to airports to offer Transit Without Visas....)

The URL posted above has info on this as well but you should check with your ship as they'll be the ones allowing you to board or not (check out other threads on this topic here)

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-72hour/

http://lawandborder.com/china-72-hour-transit-visa-waiver/

Designated Ports of Entry

The transit without visa programs are only in effect at ports of entry designated by the State Council.

Shanghai, Jiangsu, Zhejiang Policy: 144 Hours

Designated ports: Shanghai Pudong Airport (PVG) and Hongqiao Airport (SHA), Shanghai sea ports (i.e, Shanghai Port International Cruise Terminal, Wusong Passenger Transport Center), Shanghai rail ports; Nanjing Lukou Airport (NKG); Hangzhou Xiaoshan Airport (HGH).

Specified geographic area: Shanghai Municipality, Jiangsu Province, and Zhejiang Province

Effective date: Jan. 30, 2016

It only applies to air travel.

As of earlier this year, that's not true. But you do still need to be leaving China within the specified time period (so, you could disembark in Shanghai and fly home within the appropriate time period)

Flyertalk has more info on this as well http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china/708095-china-24-72-144-hour-transit-without-visa-twov-rules-master-thread-16.html#post23239148

Edited by Hoyaheel

It only applies to air travel. If you are on a cruise you still need a visa and if the cruise stops at more than one port you need a multi entry.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Incorrect. This was changed a few months ago. There is a thread on this board about it. More cruises are starting to get on board with this. several travelers have reported being advised by their cruise company that a visa will not be required (for eligible transits).

The fundamental principle of the Chinese visa-free policy is to facilitate an "extended" transit in China. Therefore, you must originate from country A, transit in China (country B), and depart to country C.

There is at least one cruise itinerary from Celebrity in which the ship leaves Japan, stops in Shanghai, and continues next to another Japan port. This itinerary does not meet the A-B-C routing, the stop in Shanghai does not constitute a transit, and therefore, the visa free 144 hour-stop would not apply.

Thanks to everyone for the information. I think we will be doing this. Flights are actually less expensive adding this stop so the extra cost will be in the hotel and tour guides only (and the odd souvenir or two).

When I booked our cruise it was 11 nights with a couple of extra day in Singapore and Hong Hong 15 nights total plus two travel days. Now we have added Siem Reap at the beginning and Beijing at the end and the trip is now 27 days .