SEA Shuttle to Explorer

We're flying Delta from Pennsylvania and our flights have changed 3 times already. I did rebook our flight because it had us coming into Seattle at 12:30 am (3:30 am EST) which made for a long day for us. Fortunately, there was no charge since the times changed so much. We are also flying in 2 days before cruise which is also a good thing. I would definately see about trying to either fly in earlier or day before. Good luck and enjoy your cruise! Our cruise is mid July - can't wait!!

Delta has already changed our flight once but it wasn't a significant enough change for them to waive any change fees. My group is convinced that we will be on the ship in decent enough time, but I am still very worried. There's a large part of me thinking about booking my own flight separately and letting everyone else figure it out for themselves.

I agree, go the day before if you can or change to the earliest flight you can. Just sharing my experience from the May 20th cruise and since this was the first for Explorer, maybe some things have changed. We flew in the day before and stayed near the Space Needle. On the day of the cruise we left the hotel at 10:15. I don't know how long it took to get the the ship, but traffic was very bad, Once we got to the ship, check in was very smooth & reasonably quick considering the lines. We chose to go to the Promenade cafe for a quick light lunch and the announcement was made that rooms were ready. So just noting that from leaving the hotel at 10:15 to rooms being ready at 1:00. Fast forward to Muster Drill; mine was at station B13, right be the ramp were guest were boarding the ship. There was a constant line of folks still boarding while Muster was going on. I don't know what time we actually left, but it was later than planned. I'm guessing they waiting until all the passengers were processed in the terminal and those who had booked air through RCL had arrived. My flights with Southwest were all on time.

Now leaving the ship and getting back to the airport on the day we came back home....it took us 3 hours from the time we left the ship and got to the airport. One of the delays was our transportation/transfer was by bus and it seemed to take forever for them to get the luggage on the bus, first bus to Southwest was full so we had to wait for another one, then again traffic was also very heavy, but only the stop & roll until we got out of the port area. There were probably 10 or more buses, but there seemed be be only 1 designated for SW. I would think a taxi or van shuttle would be quicker.

Celebrity was also there and boarding at the same time, so 2 big ships, traffic, etc.

Thank you for your insight. If traffic was not issue, I don't think I'd be as concerned.

The first couple sailings of the Explorer out of Seattle were a traffic nightmare. They said the port area is not able to effectively handle 2 huge cruise ships at once (there is another one that boards same day/time as Explorer) - that pier is just used to one smaller ship. People said it took hours to get close to the pier because of the huge back up with people trying to get in. you will not make it!! reschedule!!

We came into SEA June 2. I would allow 2 hours from arrival to port based on our experience. We are arrived at noon, got bags, shared shuttle and weare at waterfront by 1:30.

Private shuttle would have been 20 mins faster. We had to wait on other riders and 1 drop off nbefore ours. I think u can make a 12:45 if on time

Came to port around noon. Traffic was bad but we were only thing n less than an hour.

Edited by duluthga

...There's a large part of me thinking about booking my own flight separately and letting everyone else figure it out for themselves.

I think if you go ahead and change your flight, the others will follow suit. If they don't, you will at least be on the ship well before them, if they make it. We try not to fly in the day of boarding the ship. I'm risk averse. Once we did when we were flying into Stockholm and left home the night before arriving in the morning; the ship was staying in Stockholm overnight.

What is the first stop on your itinerary? Can you get there if you miss the ship?

Beth

Edited by bbappel

You didn't have to take off your shoes because of your age. You also don't have to if you have TSA pre-check.

Well, yes I'm really really old, also had pre check. No one else in our group had pre-check, but we all went through the same lines and were told that because the dogs were working, we were all TSA Pre-Check.

To begin, I would recommend changing the flight and flying in the day before. The other problem may be the traffic. I was just in Seattle, last month, and they were just beginning a huge road project in the downtown area. I don't recall how long it will last, but the traffic the day I had to go to Yakima was terrible. Coming back that afternoon we had to divert to back roads or sit in traffic. If this is still going on, you will almost certainly miss the ship. Best of luck to you.

My group is convinced that we will be on the ship in decent enough time, but I am still very worried. There's a large part of me thinking about booking my own flight separately and letting everyone else figure it out for themselves.

I would absolutely do that.

Thank you for your insight. If traffic was not issue, I don't think I'd be as concerned.

Even with no traffic it's still too tight IMO.

Land, wait to deplane (can be 20 minutes). Get into terminal, and maybe have nearly 20 minutes just to get to the baggage carousel areas. Hope your carousel is near where you entered the area. Wait for baggage. Get out to transportation. Then go either by highway or the surface streets just TO Seattle, which will very likely take 30 minutes with NO traffic. Then you have to fight your way through in-town (in touristy areas) traffic to get up to Smith... I took my MIL up there for a HAL cruise, we got up there right at the sweet traffic spot when there are no tourists but also no workers still getting into town, and it still took ages to drive up and into there.

I would EXPECT 2 hours from landing to getting there, even with NO traffic. It's just too tight IMO.

To begin, I would recommend changing the flight and flying in the day before. The other problem may be the traffic. I was just in Seattle, last month, and they were just beginning a huge road project in the downtown area. I don't recall how long it will last, but the traffic the day I had to go to Yakima was terrible. Coming back that afternoon we had to divert to back roads or sit in traffic. If this is still going on, you will almost certainly miss the ship. Best of luck to you.

That was likely the viaduct closure for the tunnel thing they are doing. It was temporary. NASTY but not long-lasting.

I'll add that our experience with TSA at SEA was quick, or a quick as you can walk through those roped off weaving lines. They had the security dogs working the lines. Everything still had to go through the scanners, but I didn't have to take my shoes off or do the stand on the footprints & pose. My sister said they didn't have to take the computer of their bags either. We did have to show photo ID along with boarding pass. Actually seemed to have to show the ID/Passport more on this cruise than I remember on others.

That's going the other way, though. :)

SEA often changes things around in terms of who gets what security. You can't rely on it, though!

Delta has already changed our flight once but it wasn't a significant enough change for them to waive any change fees. My group is convinced that we will be on the ship in decent enough time, but I am still very worried....

You guys will not make this. You asked for advice and the members here are giving it to you.... it's still way too tight. You need to change it now. I'm sorry but I can't believe anyone would think this is OK. It's ludicrous. :(

First of all why has not anyone mentioned to the OP, or did I miss it, to contact RCI and ask when their last transfer from the airport is?

Op this will let you know what the CL thinks is reasonable. So then you can make arrangements accordingly.

I traveled from SNA (OC,CA) to SEA on Mon. May 16th for a 4 day on Explorer.

I arrived at 10:15 took a ship transfer and made it to the port by 11:30.

Our ship did not leave until 6pm...

If the OP is traveling from LA there is no reason for her to go in the night before, only an earlier flight might be in order.

Edited by land lover

Hello!

This is my first post, please bear with me :)

My family and I are cruising to Alaska on the Explorer during the last week of August. We are flying in to SEA and our flight lands at 1:45 pm, then taking a shuttle to the port. Does our arrival time to SEA give enough cushion to get to the ship in time? I'm worried about flight delays and I don't know the distance from the airport to the ship.

I would prefer to fly in the night before, but I was vetoed. Can anyone give me some indication of the transfer time from the airport to the dock?

I am enjoying all of your posts and tips, I've learned so much in my short time here. Thank you!! :)

I too have the exact same cruise booked for July, however for the same reasons and concerns as OP I have arranged to fly in the night before this is how I came to this conclusion.

I don't want my bags transferred to the port cause I want my clothes for the cruise

I have never been to Seattle so I don't want to worry bout my transfer to port

I have paid a lot of money for flight and cruise I will NOT be stressed getting to port on time I WILL enjoy my cruise stress free! When I board the ship I will be relaxed stress free with a cocktail in hand NOT stressed out with anxiety cause I've been worried about getting there on time! I will NOT panick on the transfer to the port and hope there is no traffic jam! Let's face it. To the make the cruise with your current situation EVERYTHING has to fall in place and be perfect with your flight and baggage claim and transfer. How often do all the stars align???? Good Luck and enjoy your vacation!!!

First of all why has not anyone mentioned to the OP, or did I miss it, to contact RCI and ask when their last transfer from the airport is?

Op this will let you know what the CL thinks is reasonable. So then you can make arrangements accordingly....

Royal's latest recommended arrival time is 12:45pm.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=324&faqSubjectName=Air+Travel&faqId=2724

You didn't have to take off your shoes because of your age. You also don't have to if you have TSA pre-check.

Actually that's incorrect. We recently flew out of Sea-Tac and when they have the dogs working, nobody has to take off their shoes or take their computers out of their bags. We are not old enough to take our shoes off and we didn't have TSA pre-check. They don't work the dogs all the time either.

Thanks, valuable link...I knew it probably existed just always have called.

I'm one of those people that always goes in the day of, my feeling is anything can happen at anytime so going in a day early can cause just as much frustration or stress. Also I want to get to the main event.

However, leaving from LAX or OC on early morn or red eyes does build my confidence and a few hours, as r flights r seldom delayed due to weather.

The way I look at it is the CL has no problem bringing me in the day of and in OPs case up until 12:45.

Sometimes I book air travel at the same time RCI offers. I also take their transfer, at least this way they have my name on the list and if i am on one of their buses delayed in traffic they certainly will be waiting, just because they want everyone on board 90 minutes before does not mean they do not acccept late comers within reason.

Edited by land lover

Here Is a story about was happened to my nephew recently.......I know its off topic but, interesting.

2 months ago a group of relatives were going on a short cruise out of Long Beach.

It was a RT so no passport needed. Group arrived at port around 1pm and noticed marriage certificate was brought rather than birth. They lived 2 hours away....lucky for my nephew he was born in LA county and it was Thursday, so they drove to the recorders office, there they have a line for emergencies..he was able to get a certified copy and make the ship they boarded 1/2 hour prior.

Talk about stress...the moral of this story always bring your passport or documents to get on the ship or on your flight.

Edited by land lover

Thanks, valuable link...I knew it probably existed just always have called.

I'm one of those people that always goes in the day of, my feeling is anything can happen at anytime so going in a day early can cause just as much frustration or stress. Also I want to get to the main event.....

I disagree, but I can understand that each person is different with stress. We just had a flight a couple of days ago, and they had mechanical problems with the aircraft, so they had to substitute another aircraft. It put us almost 2 hours behind schedule. However, since it was a couple of days before the cruise, and there were no connections, there was no stress for me. Had it been the day of the cruise, it would have been a different story for my stress level.

Actually OP did not specifically say they were using an RCI ground transfer - all s/he said was "a shuttle". If it is RCI, there may be some wiggle room at the Captain's discretion if they are delayed. If they are taking regular ground transportation not associated with the cruise line, they will have to wait for that shuttle to fill up before they are on their way.

...We are flying in to SEA and our flight lands at 1:45 pm, then taking a shuttle to the port...

Update: I did not read the complete thread before posting and just noticed that the link was previously posted...

While looking for some information about disembarkation I came across this Royal Caribbean's page.

The question on the page is...

What is the latest arrival time to reserve a flight before the cruise, or the earliest departure time to reserve a flight after the cruise in order to make port/airport connections on time?

You can then fill in the requested information (ship, port, airport, etc) and it will give you the latest time you can get to the airport based on ChoiceAir's recommendation.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2724&faqSubjectId=324

Edited by 1josh777

Op this will let you know what the CL thinks is reasonable. So then you can make arrangements accordingly.

Actually OP did not specifically say they were using an RCI ground transfer - all s/he said was "a shuttle". If it is RCI, there may be some wiggle room at the Captain's discretion if they are delayed. If they are taking regular ground transportation not associated with the cruise line, they will have to wait for that shuttle to fill up before they are on their way.

So you quoted my first sentence and didn't read my second...:):D sorry could not resist, because I was well aware of what was stated by the OP.

enjoy your day.......

Edited by land lover

I had not seen that, thank you. The travel agent that booked the cruise also booked the transfer and this is how we ended up with the 12:45 pm arrival. I guess we'll be ok? I mentioned to my husband that I planned to take an earlier flight and meet them on the ship. That did not go over well. Le Sigh.

Sorry, I did not mention that it is an RCI transfer. I did not know this at the time of my original post.

The only time I didn't arrive the day before was when I only had to fly SEA to LAX to catch a Mexican Riviera cruise. It really is an easy and short flight. No worries about weather in either city as they both have fabulous summer weather. The only worry would be mechanical issues with the plane.

The odds are probably in your favor.

Sorry, I did not mention that it is an RCI transfer. I did not know this at the time of my original post.

Thank you for replying. In this case, the ONLY time I would consider a flight so close to embarkation would be by using a cruise line's transfer. They should be waiting for you in the baggage claim area when you go to get your luggage. Look for someone holding a sign. :)

• 2 months later...