Icy Strait Dock

cruisingwithcarrie

Are there any photos out there of the new dock? We are traveling with someone with limited mobility and just trying to get an idea of what the trek into port might be. Thanks! I was hoping for some trip reports, but I can't seem to find any.

Edited by cruisingwithcarrie

Here are some photos I took when we were there in May:

Approaching the dock

13350369_709653912107_6784206420476725832_o.jpg

The dock and the green covered walkway that connects the dock to land.

13323730_709654875177_683043907433871333_o.jpg

View of the dock from land

13329326_709654860207_2569220186241700332_o.jpg

The dock and green walkway are both very easy to navigate, with a smooth surface and not much of an incline. It empties you out onto a ramp that leads directly into a building containing benches, a small coffee shop, souvenir shop, and excursion desk. There are also restrooms and water fountains. I found the dock and building to be very nice.

Keep in mind that the town of Hoonah is still about a mile away. If your goal is to walk there, there is a nice path that follows the waterfront with benches, but be prepared to stop often for breaks if someone is not able to walk far. However, there is a shuttle that will take you to town for $5 if you would rather not walk.

Edited by tree.star

Here are a few more that I took on May 11th. From what I understand NCL Pearl was the first ship to use the new dock. I was told by one of the locals that he thought the walkway was built wide enough for their ambulance to drive all the way to the ship if needed. I thought the new buildings between the old cannery and the new dock were very nice. The walk from the ship to the shuttle to town is probably in the neighborhood of 1/4 to 1/2 mile - somewhere in between.

26903394713_7c4be44052_o.jpg

27439153451_449217342f_o.jpg

26903392793_0917104697_o.jpg

27234932400_c36ecdcc3a_b.jpg

26902188584_a74044c6a4_b.jpg

26903391533_80c03fb02a_b.jpg

Looks like a nice setup. Can it accommodate more than one ship? I know 2 were in port the day we were there last year, the Radiance of the Seas and a Celebrity ship. Possibly the Infinity, but I don't recall at the moment. It arrived a couple of hours before we were due to leave.

Wow! Thank you so much!! The photos are far better than anything I could find online!

So, the walk is 1/4 to 1/2 a mile in addition to the ramp? The atv thing sounds great...I will request it. My mom had double knee replacement surgery and neither took well, so walking that ramp and the walk to town is pretty much a no.

Edited by cruisingwithcarrie

Wow! Thank you so much!! The photos are far better than anything I could find online!

So, the walk is 1/4 to 1/2 a mile in addition to the ramp? The atv thing sounds great...I will request it. My mom had double knee replacement surgery and neither took well, so walking that ramp and the walk to town is pretty much a no.

I was including the distance from the actual ship's doorway to the shuttle pickup point in my estimate. You can see a couple of the little shuttles sitting on the dock in a couple of the pictures - two green things sitting side by side at an angle.

Edited by SuperCrewBear

Looks like a nice setup. Can it accommodate more than one ship? I know 2 were in port the day we were there last year, the Radiance of the Seas and a Celebrity ship. Possibly the Infinity, but I don't recall at the moment. It arrived a couple of hours before we were due to leave.

One ship only.

From the dock next to the ship- it is a floating dock. So the "" claim "not much of an incline" above is very inaccurate. At low tide, which I experienced- it was a steep climb.

As mentioned- there is a gulf cart type option available.

• 2 weeks later...

The dock is lovely. Here is a shot from a drone that shows the whole set up. The buildings closest to the dock are the excursion sales/welcome and the red buildings on the right are the cannery/shops. 2479a06d89f3d9f5f8cbc775e071dfa3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app