Island Princess - Panama Canal - No aft balcony access

lmcgrail

I'm hoping someone who has been on the Island Princess can clarify this.

I saw on another thread that the aft balconies that were added during the retrofit (from the promenade deck and up) were off-limits during the transit of the canal. Passengers are not allowed on their balconies.

We specifically booked one of the aft balconies to use during the transit of the canal. I've called Princess and have been told different things but with the last being that it was most likely only the balconies on the Promenade deck. I'm waiting on the confirmation of that.

Now we all know that the cruise lines do not always provide accurate information :rolleyes: so if anyone who has sailed on the Island Princess through the canal (partial or full) in one of the new aft cabins, can you please let us know if you could use your balcony?

Thanks!

Lori

Affects Promenade Deck only...

NOTIFICATIONS

PROMENADE DECK BALCONY ADVISORY

Please be advised that due to operational and safety reasons, guests in BE-category cabins located on the Promenade deck will be unable to access their

balcony while the ship is in the locks on Canal transit day.

When traveling through the canal, heavy cables are attached to the ship to help guide the vessel through the locks to maintain its correct position. As these

cables are strung near the Promenade deck, as a safety measure access to these balconies will be restricted during the Panama Canal transit.

Please note this only applies to Promenade deck balconies, and will only apply when the ship is in the locks; guests will be able to use these balconies at all

other times.

If you are in a balcony cabin on any other deck, please disregard this message.

Affects Promenade Deck only...

NOTIFICATIONS

PROMENADE DECK BALCONY ADVISORY

Please be advised that due to operational and safety reasons, guests in BE-category cabins located on the Promenade deck will be unable to access their

balcony while the ship is in the locks on Canal transit day.

When traveling through the canal, heavy cables are attached to the ship to help guide the vessel through the locks to maintain its correct position. As these

cables are strung near the Promenade deck, as a safety measure access to these balconies will be restricted during the Panama Canal transit.

Please note this only applies to Promenade deck balconies, and will only apply when the ship is in the locks; guests will be able to use these balconies at all

other times.

If you are in a balcony cabin on any other deck, please disregard this message.

I would be real upset if I had not been notified of this at the time booking was made.

I would be real upset if I had not been notified of this at the time booking was made.

Princess called to let us know. I think it was a couple of weeks after the booking. We have our choice of the Sanctuary on the canal day, or a $60.00 per person cabin credit.