Alaska Land and Sea Cruise Question!

My mom and I are going on our first cruise next month in Alaska on Radiance. We're going with my aunt and second cousins who are experienced cruisers. The question we have pertains to the land tour portion of the cruise. From what I understand, you are only allowed to keep your carry on bag with you at the hotels and Royal Caribbean takes your checked bag until you get to the ship. Our problem is that there's a few things that we can't pack in our carry on that will be in our checked bag. Will we have a chance to move those few items into our carry on bag once we're at the hotel before they take our checked bag? I hope this wasn't too confusing but the whole luggage thing is confusing to us. I keep getting different answers depending on who I ask. Also, all of us are taking backpacks. Can we keep those with us during the land tour as well? That's where my camera and binoculars and travel purse will be so I sure do hope so! Thank you!!

Don't worry, you will have all of your luggage at each place you stay. It may not be easily accessible during the day, depending on where you are. For example, when we took the train from Anchorage to Talkeetna, we only had our carry-ons with us. The rest remained on the bus, which we met back up with at lunch. The last day, when we were dropped off in Anchorage to explore the museum and have lunch on our own, our luggage was sent on ahead to the ship, which is there longest we were without it. Enjoy your trip!

From what I understand, you are only allowed to keep your carry on bag with you at the hotels and Royal Caribbean takes your checked bag until you get to the ship.

Not true. You will have every piece of luggage placed in your hotel each night if you want them. They will ask you if there are any bags that you don't need on land and they will designate them so that they are not put in your room each night but otherwise all your bags will follow you to each hotel room.