Departing Anchorage, time getting through security?

Liz315

To anyone who has flown out of Anchorage recently, Do you need the usual 2 hours to get through security or do I need to get there 3 hours prior to get through security like we do in New York right now?

We flew out of Anchorage on June 1st, and security was very quick (although we did have the TSA Pre-check). But for years my husband flew down to Anchorage from Fairbanks almost weekly on business, and, even before the current TSA staffing situation, on some days there can be long lines screening lines in Anchorage but they generally move quickly.

But giving yourself three hours in the Anchorage airport would not be a problem. There are several shops past the security check-point and also food options. We had lunch on June 1st at a new restaurant (named something like the Hog and Pickle) which was actually quite tasty. Also the Anchorage airport has some interesting art displays.

Thank you, I am just trying to figure out what time I have to leave Sheep Mountain Lodge to make a 7:45pm flight and return a car to Avis. Any suggestions?

If it was me: I'd want to be at the airport at 5:45pm. If it's a weekday, traffic through Anchorage can be heavy. So to be safe I'd want to be coming into town from the north by at least 5:15pm. Maybe even call it 5pm. From Sheep Mountain Lodge figure two hours of driving. Call it 2 1/2 to be safe. So leave there by 2:30? I'd prefer to be running early rather than stressing out and running late.

If you get the airport with extra time, take a minute to go to my favorite spot. Follow signs for the North Terminal. This will put you on Postmark Drive. Follow it to the T-intersection with Northern Lights Blvd. Turn left. Just before the big curve around the end of the runway you'll see a long gravel parking area on the right of the road shoulder. Park and go up on the bluff. If Denali is out, you can see it from here. You can also see the Cook Inlet, Mt. Susitna, Fire Island, the Knik Arm, Elmendorf AFB, and downtown Anchorage. If the wind is blowing the right way, the jets will be going right over your head.