HELP, Nicer Ship VS Nicer Stops

cdl324

So my fiancé and I are planning our honeymoon on our first cruise! We were hoping to keep our honeymoon under 2k. However it is possible we may have to go a little over. I have found some great options but we are having a hard time deciding. There is 2 cruises that have super nice ships and the other one has a ship with not so great reviews but the stops are AMAZING. We will be leaving out October 30th and saying from a Sunday-Sunday. Here is our ships and itineraries:

Option 1. Our favorite option budget wise, and the stops are our favorites but the ship does not sound that great (I'm trying to remember that we have nothing to compare it too and it might seem great to us since it is our first cruise!)

Carnival Fascination Ocean View

Day 1: Departing from San Juan Puerto Rico

Day 2: St. Thomas

Day 3: Fun day at sea

Day 4: Barbados

Day 5: St. Lucia

Day 6: St. Kitts

Day 7: St. Maarten

Day 8: Arrive back at San Juan

Total Cost including airfare is right at $2,000

Option 2: Our favorite ship that we have researched. It is more costly and the stops aren't as exciting but the ship looks amazing!

Royal Carribean Allure of the Seas Ocean View

Day 1: Departing from Fort Laurendale, FL

Day 2: At sea

Day 3: Cozumel, Mexico

Day 4: Costa Maya, Mexico

Day 5: At Sea

Day 6: At Sea

Day 7: Nassau, Bahamas

Day 8: Arriving back at Fort Laurendale

Total Cost including airfare is right at $2,300

Option 3: It looks like a great ship and it is a balcony stateroom. However it is the most costly. I have also heard this cruise line has the least children which is a plus.

Norwegian Getaway Balcony Stateroom

Day 1: Departing from Miami, FL

Day 2: At Sea

Day 3: Roatan, Honduras

Day 4: Belize City, Belize

Day 5: Costa Maya, Mexico

Day 6: Cozumel, Mexico

Day 7: At Sea

Day 8: Arriving back in Miami, FL

Total Cost is about $2480.

Just a reminder this is our first cruise. We can't decide if we want a nicer ship or the lesser ship with better stops. What would you do? We want it to be fun and romantic because it is our honeymoon! Please share you advice/opinions/experiences. Thank you!!

We did a cruise to Alaska for our first on Celebrity, went all out balcony and everything cost a pretty penny $3300+airfare of $900 total for 2.

Second cruise Western Caribbean on Carnival Magic inside staterooms for 4 people..total cost $1500. Had a great time on that one as well. Just go with the mindset that you will enjoy yourself and don't sweat the small stuff. Yes they were definitely different but still had great service and fun times!

Hope you have a great trip I would choose the itinerary you like it only had one sea day..you'll be super busy with port days anyways.

Happy Planning :D

I would like to point out that if your goal is to spend $2k or under for your honeymoon, booking cruise fare/air fare that hits that total is not a good idea. You're going to have a lot of additional expenses on the trip.

Glad I won't be the only Captain Killjoy...

OP, is $2,000 just for the cruise or the total honeymoon. If only for the cruise, have you factored in gratuities, drinks, etc.? Are you going to "see the sights" on your own or do excursions? If the later, factor that in...and those can add up fast.

If that budget is for everything, don't forget the hotel and food (pre and post cruise) and...for option 1...round-trip air to San Juan.

BTW...congrats.

I have cruised all different kinds. sizes and lines of ships. We cruise for the ports. The ships are different, but we've never had a bad one. I think we actually like the smaller, older ships better when the ports are amazing! I think you've made a great choice!!

Just remember, the ship you are sailing was once the best and newest in the fleet! Times are changing and so are the styles and amenities on the ships, but that doesn't mean the older, smaller ships are bad. :)

ENJOY the islands and your first cruise!

So my fiancé and I are planning our honeymoon on our first cruise! We were hoping to keep our honeymoon under 2k. However it is possible we may have to go a little over. I have found some great options but we are having a hard time deciding. There is 2 cruises that have super nice ships and the other one has a ship with not so great reviews but the stops are AMAZING. We will be leaving out October 30th and saying from a Sunday-Sunday. Here is our ships and itineraries:

Option 1. Our favorite option budget wise, and the stops are our favorites but the ship does not sound that great (I'm trying to remember that we have nothing to compare it too and it might seem great to us since it is our first cruise!)

Carnival Fascination Ocean View

Day 1: Departing from San Juan Puerto Rico

Day 2: St. Thomas

Day 3: Fun day at sea

Day 4: Barbados

Day 5: St. Lucia

Day 6: St. Kitts

Day 7: St. Maarten

Day 8: Arrive back at San Juan

Total Cost including airfare is right at $2,000

Option 2: Our favorite ship that we have researched. It is more costly and the stops aren't as exciting but the ship looks amazing!

Royal Carribean Allure of the Seas Ocean View

Day 1: Departing from Fort Laurendale, FL

Day 2: At sea

Day 3: Cozumel, Mexico

Day 4: Costa Maya, Mexico

Day 5: At Sea

Day 6: At Sea

Day 7: Nassau, Bahamas

Day 8: Arriving back at Fort Laurendale

Total Cost including airfare is right at $2,300

Option 3: It looks like a great ship and it is a balcony stateroom. However it is the most costly. I have also heard this cruise line has the least children which is a plus.

Norwegian Getaway Balcony Stateroom

Day 1: Departing from Miami, FL

Day 2: At Sea

Day 3: Roatan, Honduras

Day 4: Belize City, Belize

Day 5: Costa Maya, Mexico

Day 6: Cozumel, Mexico

Day 7: At Sea

Day 8: Arriving back in Miami, FL

Total Cost is about $2480.

Just a reminder this is our first cruise. We can't decide if we want a nicer ship or the lesser ship with better stops. What would you do? We want it to be fun and romantic because it is our honeymoon! Please share you advice/opinions/experiences. Thank you!!

First off, congrats on your wedding!!!!

Sounds like all 3 options are at least relatively close in price (I don't know if the $480 will strain your budget that much or not). The one thing I notice is I like a balcony....that may not be a big deal to you, so its personal preference....if you like down time to relax and hang out, its really nice on the balcony to hang out with a cocktail....I am going to assume you are relatively young (20's....and I could be off base, so apologies if I am), so you may want a more active nightlife with bars and clubs....newer ships tend to have more bar/dining options. When I go, I go for the ship. To me, a beach is a beach is a beach....you seen one, you basically have seen them all. Again, preference....if the nightlife and dining options are important to you, I would check out the amenities on the ships....going Oct/Nov will hopefully keep the kids on the cruise down, as they are in school....I have never had a bad cruise, so I am sure whatever ship you pick, you will have a great time....enjoy!!!!

Edited by First and Ten

It is all a give and take. I would probably go with nicer ports over a great ship to start off. It leaves the allure of the nicer ships for when you become more accustomed with the ports.

......but I can have a good time on any combination.

Edited by ray98