Wine Bar w UBP? Best UG Options? Wines by the Glass?

soxfan2013

Hi...were sailing on the Dawn in a cpl of days...and I've learned they've installed a new wine bar.

What are the best wines by the glass generally available? I saw pcsof Mondavi M and Silver Oak, but someone said those are only available by the bottle???

Isn't the definition of a WINE BAR vs a WINE LIST a place where you get a good assortment of premium wines by the glass?

I'm trying to decide whether to bring some wines ($100-200 US liqour store prices), but would rather not if I could pay $15-25 per glass upcharge on tp of the UBP for some terrific wines.

I am concerned that the best wines by the glass at dinner, etc. will be very mediocre...don't need $100-200 wines, but don't want $20 wines (liquor store prices).

Edited by soxfan2013

I've read the same threads you have, and it does not sound like you will be able to count on the wine bar to have a large selection of wines by the glass that meet your standards. And even if they fix whatever issues they are apparently having with the wine bar, and bring back the full list of wines by the glass, these will not be available in other bars and restaurants around the ship. Your only choices for dinner are to carry glasses with you from the the wine bar (if they are actually selling them), or go for whole bottles.

More expensive bottles are marked up less, so you may find the onboard prices to be reasonable. You can get a 20% discount on bottles of wine with the UBP (but you have to pay 18% auto-tip), so a bottle of Mondavi M 2011 will cost you about $190 on board.

I've read the same threads you have, and it does not sound like you will be able to count on the wine bar to have a large selection of wines by the glass that meet your standards. And even if they fix whatever issues they are apparently having with the wine bar, and bring back the full list of wines by the glass, these will not be available in other bars and restaurants around the ship. Your only choices for dinner are to carry glasses with you from the the wine bar (if they are actually selling them), or go for whole bottles.

More expensive bottles are marked up less, so you may find the onboard prices to be reasonable. You can get a 20% discount on bottles of wine with the UBP (but you have to pay 18% auto-tip), so a bottle of Mondavi M 2011 will cost you about $190 on board.

Is this wine bar the first and only one within NCL? How can they go to the expense of creating a wine bar and taking the space away from something else and not have an extensive selection of wines by the gar, which is what a wine bar is about?

Is this wine bar the first and only one within NCL? How can they go to the expense of creating a wine bar and taking the space away from something else and not have an extensive selection of wines by the gar, which is what a wine bar is about?

No, it's the 2nd. The first wine bar is located on Escape. There are different/better wines available there than on the standard wine list, but they still probably won't be up to the caliber of the OP. I have a hunch that out of millions of wines in the world, OP, there are probably a handful you feel are good enough. Bring those along so you are happy.

A lot of ships have something called a "wine bar" (for example Magnum's, on several of the older ships) but they really do not correspond to your definition.

As far as I know, the first attempt to offer something resembling your description was the Cellars on the Escape, and maybe they are trying to roll that concept out to the rest of the fleet as ships get refurbished. Except that apparently they rolled it right back after just a couple of days on the Dawn… :(

No, it's the 2nd. The first wine bar is located on Escape. There are different/better wines available there than on the standard wine list, but they still probably won't be up to the caliber of the OP. I have a hunch that out of millions of wines in the world, OP, there are probably a handful you feel are good enough. Bring those along so you are happy.

There are hundreds of wines I would enjoy...does anyone have any reference points from the Escape. The selections/pricing should be the same or comparable.

The most recent wine menu I have seen posted for the Escape is here (but I'm not sure if that is specifically for The Cellars). You can compare this to what the menu used to be for the first few months of the Escape's inaugural season, for example in this post.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

$100-$200 a bottle retail is what you drink at home? I would say it's almost impossible you would be happy with the by the glass selection on any ship, hell probably most restaurants too.

Sometimes, when I'm in a celebrity/playful mood. I drink plenty of $15-50 wines. I'd be more than happy w a good selection of reds in the $20-25/glass range $80-100 bottle) which should be available for a $5-10 upcharge over the $15/glass UBP allotment.

The most recent wine menu I have seen posted for the Escape is here (but I'm not sure if that is specifically for The Cellars). You can compare this to what the menu used to be for the first few months of the Escape's inaugural season, for example in this post.

Stags Leap Merlot for $19.50 is a good option. So is Mondavi M for $30, Veuve Cliquot for $23.75, even possibly Silverado Chardonnay for $17.50. Don't know about the Italian red blend, but at least this resembles a wine bar list, albeit skewed to the lower end.

Read somewhere several years ago, that really good wines probably should be avoided on a ship This is due to the constant mov't of the ship which is not the best for wine storage. Don't know if it's true.

Read somewhere several years ago, that really good wines probably should be avoided on a ship This is due to the constant mov't of the ship which is not the best for wine storage. Don't know if it's true.

Not true and we're not even talking about wines at those levels, but assuming the seas are reasonable a decanted wine poured will enable the sediments to settle and drink fine...maybe on some level so very old rare wines are best left untouched...but the level of wines I've been talking abt are not so serious or delicate.

This was my experience on the Escape Jan/Feb:

Veuve was 23.00/glass and they would not reduce it by the 15.00 UBP credit.

There was no champagne by the glass on the entire ship that was covered by the UBP. I looked several places and inquired.

The Mondavi bar had a digital menu. I did not see a Mondavi cabernet under 30.00 and I asked, also. I was informed the 15.00 UBP credit would not apply. They did have Chateau St. Jean (not a Mondavi:-) available under the UBP.

The list that was linked above is a result of their latest menu downsizing. Pre-UBP promos, it was better.

This is my experience. I have read conflicting experiences. Even having the UBP, I take on some wine and champagne. It has nothing to do with costs; their selections/availability stinks! It's not unusual to hear "we don't carry that any more" or "we ran out" for wines they advertise.

Stags Leap Merlot for $19.50 is a good option. So is Mondavi M for $30, Veuve Cliquot for $23.75, even possibly Silverado Chardonnay for $17.50. Don't know about the Italian red blend, but at least this resembles a wine bar list, albeit skewed to the lower end.

[…]

I did not see a Mondavi cabernet under 30.00 and I asked, also. I was informed the 15.00 UBP credit would not apply.

I would have taken that up with the food & bev manager or the hotel director. In the end they can make up whatever arbitrary exclusions they want, but they need to be up front about it and let customers know what to expect. If we have to go back to the early annoying days of the UBP, with a list of brands that we can have and a list that we cannot have, so be it. But give us the list already.

There was no champagne by the glass on the entire ship that was covered by the UBP. I looked several places and inquired.

The Mondavi bar had a digital menu. I did not see a Mondavi cabernet under 30.00 and I asked, also. I was informed the 15.00 UBP credit would not apply. They did have Chateau St. Jean (not a Mondavi:-) available under the UBP.

The list that was linked above is a result of their latest menu downsizing. Pre-UBP promos, it was better.

This is my experience. I have read conflicting experiences. Even having the UBP, I take on some wine and champagne. It has nothing to do with costs; their selections/availability stinks! It's not unusual to hear "we don't carry that any more" or "we ran out" for

Now you've opened up a whole other issue if ur saying you can't use the UBP credit for wines by the ass from the wine bar. That's nuts.

I don't think they serve any wines by the "ass" lol

Seriously, it doesn't mean your experience will be the same. I had trouble getting credit for the UDP when eating in a ala carte restaurant. I might have received a favorable reversal at guest services, but I refuse to stand in a possibly crowded, noisy area for 1/2 hour and argue something.

IMO, NCL's biggest problem is lack of consistency (on land and sea). I'm hoping they will improve soon in this area. They have been going through a lot of changes and crew/workers are not properly informed.

This is my experience. I have read conflicting experiences. Even having the UBP, I take on some wine and champagne. It has nothing to do with costs; their selections/availability stinks! It's not unusual to hear "we don't carry that any more" or "we ran out" for

Now you've opened up a whole other issue if ur saying you can't use the UBP credit for wines by the ass from the wine bar. That's nuts.

Seriously, it doesn't mean your experience will be the same. I had trouble getting credit for the UDP when eating in a ala carte restaurant. I might have received a favorable reversal at guest services, but I refuse to stand in a possibly crowded, noisy area for 1/2 hour and argue something.

IMO, NCL's biggest problem is lack of consistency (on land and sea). I'm hoping they will improve soon in this area. They have been going through a lot of changes and crew/workers are not properly informed.

Wow. I've never been on a cruise where u couldn't UG the UBP to any drink by the glass based on the price differential. I'll always be dining in specialty dining if that helps?

That's a good suggestion; I never thought about doing that. I'll pay attention at the M&G

and see if they have a card.

I would have taken that up with the food & bev manager or the hotel director. In the end they can make up whatever arbitrary exclusions they want, but they need to be up front about it and let customers know what to expect. If we have to go back to the early annoying days of the UBP, with a list of brands that we can have and a list that we cannot have, so be it. But give us the list already.

Well, it was at Le Bistro on the Escape that they would not credit $15 towards the $23 champagne. It could be different now.....hard to figure.

Maybe email the Food and Bev manager on the ship you're sailing prior to your cruise. If you get a favorable response, carry the email with you :-) I know, it shouldn't be this difficult, but after Hawk mentioned the F & B, I may do this prior to my cruises.

With the new wine bar on the Dawn, you'll likely get conflicting "rules" on board.

Please post your experiences! Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Wow. I've never been on a cruise where u couldn't UG the UBP to any drink by the glass based on the price differential. I'll always be dining in specialty dining if that helps?

Edited by asubaru

I hope it improves. Our experience on the first trip June 17 at the wine bar was interesting.

All the cheap wines were available. They're in every bar for the UBP. Even the buffet. About 6 or 7 reds and I didn't look at white. We never ordered them.

Then we wanted to try some others. Less $ and more $ than the UBP allowance. Many had no wine by glass option. Just the entire bottle. 20% off with UBP.

And several that did have wine by the glass options, when we tried to order them we were told with convincingly sad faces by the bartenders "sorry it's unavailable right now" Asked if they plan to locate it during the cruise the answer was still no.

Then the by the glass options for those particular wines were quickly removed from the tablet so people would stop asking.

On day 3 we went in to order a nice one we had been enjoying. I kept scanning and I couldn't find it. He saw me and came over with the news the tablet was 'updated'.

That wine was removed. But he still had it in the bar and served us. [emoji6]

We did have the Mondavi M before dinner one night.

6067f445deb4210304a7dc8c77dcda53.jpg

18e23bcb7bf73ebf75882fb70cdb8094.jpg

91541ed037aa5aee89b4b71ad49e3dcd.jpg

21a0022ee8c63ba3ffee97011f01884d.jpg

The wine bar was very popular. These photos were taken right after muster while we were still docked in Boston. Except the M. That was on Saturday. The rest of the week it was always busy with people gathered around sipping their wine [emoji485]