Taxis or public buses in Halifax

forwardho

Does anyone know if there are taxis or buses readily available from the ship to get us up the hill to the Citadel or Public Gardens in Halifax?

Taxis would be your best bet. You would have to walk a fair distance to catch a bus and then you would need a transfer to go to the Citadel and the buses do not go to the top, you would have to walk up the hill.

There should be taxis available.

Depending upon your mobility, once you have toured the Citadel, you could walk downhill to the Public Gardens, and maybe consider walking back to the waterfront from there. I think there is a path down the hill making the walk even shorter than what they show.

https://goo.gl/maps/Fu3XgNDsU5U2

If you do decide to walk back to the waterfront, take the Spring Garden Road route and check out the wonderful new Central Library. https://goo.gl/maps/fN1KpfpdMvB2

Thank you so much for the walking suggestions. We cruised to Halifax in 2011 and was able to see Peggy's cove and took the HOHO around but ran out of time to see the Citadel and the Public Gardens. We wanted to make sure they were first on our list this time . However, we remembered that hill and hoped a taxi ride to the top would be available.

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on your mobility, there is a public bus stop about 3 blocks from the pier. It is a slight up hill walk, but not as steep as the roads/hills farther on in town. Inquire at Tourist Info for a bus route map and directions. I'm not a fan of Hoho buses. I would opt for a taxi to the Citadel if walking is an issue. If possible, I suggest walking back to the ship. From the Citadel it is an easy walk to the lovely Public Gardens, not to be missed. On returning to the ship, it will be a down hill walk toward the level waterside promenade.

Enjoy your visit.