Weather in Juneau

GMECruiser

Our ship will be in Juneau on Monday, July 11. The forecast for Juneau that day is partly sunny and 72 degrees. We have booked the whale watching and wildlife excursion through Princess. I'm not sure where they take you to see whales, but we picked this excursion because of the larger boat and hopefully less movement for people with motion sickness. My question is, since it will be about 72 degrees, will be need a heavy jacket and will it feel much cooler on the water?

Thankss for your help.

I live in the Seattle area where it is currently only 68. For me, 72 is downright HOT. I'd probably be wearing shorts or capris, but have a light jacket in case the breeze on the moving boat was chilly. Of course, if you are one of those people from hot places who thinks 72 is cold, you might need more. ;)

I vote for "cooler on the water". In addition to moisture... there are winds that adds to the cooling effect.

Conditions vary.... so it's hard to say until your trip starts.

If you look at Google Maps.... my excursion depart from Auke Bay to watch the whales in Favorite Channel (at nearby Lincoln Island) 12 miles to the North West.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Auke+Bay,+Juneau,+AK+99801,+USA/@58.444136,-134.8464975,11.07z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x54011d3f125e992b:0xa92f4e96b3066960!8m2!3d58.3950682!4d-134.6583071

Our ship will be in Juneau on Monday, July 11. The forecast for Juneau that day is partly sunny and 72 degrees. We have booked the whale watching and wildlife excursion through Princess. I'm not sure where they take you to see whales, but we picked this excursion because of the larger boat and hopefully less movement for people with motion sickness. My question is, since it will be about 72 degrees, will be need a heavy jacket and will it feel much cooler on the water?

Thankss for your help.

Coming from SC it will feel cold in the wind, but not so cold that you need a heavy jacket. Layers are the key, and a rain jacket that is wind proof will do wonders to keep you warm on deck.

Also factor in time of day. If it is a fairly early tour then no matter what the forecast high for the day is you may encounter the notorious "marine layer". This low deck of clouds and cooler temps is typical and burns off by Noon or so letting the temps rise to the forecast high. But before then you could see temps closer to upper 50's or low 60's.

Yes, it will be cooler on the water. The forecast also indicates that it will be in the low 50s with it possibly reaching the 70s by mid/late afternoon. Would never suggest a heavy jacket but an extra layer to put under a lightweight jacket would be good.

We were there last week...forecasted weather for all our port stops was rain...but never saw any! BUT, we were happy to have lightweight jackets with us each time since the weather changes often...and on the water, will definitely be cooler than in central Juneau, etc. Hope you have a great day! We did!

If it's sunny, that sun will feel hot no matter what the air temperature is. So don't forget the sunscreen!!

I concur with everyone who says a lightweight windbreaker should be fine, but of course it depends on what time of day your whale watch is. It will be cooler in the morning and you may need something warmer underneath.