No Cruise Excursion trips my trigger, now what?

ferretface

Ok, I've checked out Carnival Triumph's excursions for 01/2006 and nothing grabs my attention. Any recommendations? DH & I want to snorkel or me on the beach & DH playing in lite surf. Is there a way to taxi to a decent snorkel beach without paying outrageous prices? Do the beaches rent snorkel equipment or will we need to buy in US & bring it? Please help!

Thanks

Phyllis

Taxi fares are set by the Government and are not really that bad when you take into account gas prices, auto repair costs (all parts etc. must be shipped in or flown in) etc. It is not cheap to live on an Island where you have very few suppliers of consumer goods and all must be imported.

There is very little "surf" on the beaches, the water is generally quite calm.

There is one "beach" with "surf", but it is far on the North side of the Island and quite rocky, there you would have to pay for a cab to wait, no facilities for tourists.

Your best bet would be either Magens where the water is calm, good food available and you can rent snorkle stuff but the snorkeling is almost non existant. Saphire would probably be best for snorkeling, food available and you can rent equipment.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise

B.

Check out Godfrey's tours in St. Thomas; we just got back Saturday from the Caribbean Princess and Godfrey was great. If you do a search in this forum for Godfrey, you'll find lots of info. His tour is $20 a person (it is an independent tour, not arranged through the cruise lines, so it's cheaper) and is basically all day. It includes shopping, sightseeing in his open-air bus, and a couple of hours beach time. We went to Sapphire Beach and it was beautiful; the previous poster is correct - there was a restaurant there and snorkeling equipment to rent. Coki Beach is another choice and evidently has excellent snorkeling but is in a very weird part of town. Magen's is a great beach for swimming or sunning, but has very little snorkeling. Anyway, we can certainly recommend Godfrey as a good value for doing a lot in one day in St. Thomas. Kellie in Texas

How many people total were on the Godfrey tour, and what type of vehicle were you transported in?

It was an open-sided bus with a roof (sides were open, so no A/C). There were five rows, I believe, and you could fit 4-5 people per row. On our day, I think was had 16, so it wasn't as crowded. Godfrey does have a web site with pictures on it; if you email him with your date and number of people, he usually responds with a day or two.

When visiting St. Thomas I take a car or cab to Secret Harbour for snorking, lunch and drinks. Beach chairs are $5 ea. If you come into Havensite you can do your shopping there and they will deliver to the ship so you don't have to haul those big boxes w/you. That is the best of the island for me. Snorking and shopping.

When visiting St. Thomas I take a car or cab to Secret Harbour for snorking, lunch and drinks. Beach chairs are $5 ea. If you come into Havensite you can do your shopping there and they will deliver to the ship so you don't have to haul those big boxes w/you. That is the best of the island for me. Snorking and shopping.

:confused: Can you tell me about Secret Harbor. How is the beach, do they have chairs, restrooms, bar etc. How long is the ride from the ship docks? We will be on the Valor in Dec.

Thanks

JoAnn

It is a hotel, condo ownership and they have beach chairs, umbrellas, trees by the beach, a snorkle trail just off the beach and a dive shop that sellls and rents whatever you need. A beautiful beach. I cut my cruise short last year, got off as it was last stop before return to San Juan and stayed 4 days. Their dining room is open all day and is quite good equal to the ship. Also a nice beach bar w/ several locals hanging out. Bathrooms are close and there may be a fellow asking for $5 for the chair rental. I've been there 5 times since it opened in the 60's and it just gets better.:)

There will be a fellow asking for money for the chairs. You can rent chairs, but not use the hammocks or umbrellas. It is a very quiet beach which locals and owners wish to keep quiet. The bottom is not all sandy and there are sea urchins in the rocks where you enter the water. Watch where others enter and be careful.

B.:D

Thanks so much for the info. So the Condo/hotel just lets cruisers use their beach without a fee? Has anyone been to both Sapphire and Secret Harbor?

Wondering how they would compare. We had been considering Sapphire until now. Did I read that they are in the same area?

Thanks,

JoAnn

All beaches in the VI are public. That said, Magens belongs to the people of the VI and there is a charge for use. This charge is less with VI residency identity card and for others $3 pp. Theoretically you can use any other beach without charge, however getting to them is another story. Some are only approachable by water, these are mainly in St John. Both Saphire and Secret Harbour can be accessed by car/foot. Once you pay to get into Magens everything is available, floats , water toys of some sort, public bathrooms, food (not bad actually!) and a boutique for casual clothes and bathing suiits. There is virtually no snorkeling, but a lovely white sand beach and shallow, calm water. Saphire is a large hotel/condo complex, water toys, food,bathrooms, snorkeling, rented chairs, a view of St John and a lively beach atmosphere. Taxis are usually available to return to the ship or the front desk will call one for you. Secret Harbour is a small condo/hotel complex. smaller beach, quieter, rented chairs, food, bathroom at restaurant. Taxis should be arrainged when let off, although they can be called. Both comlexes are on the East End of the Island near Red Hook.

Hope this helps

:) B.

Archived