Antarctica cruise

sej67

I see Pied Piper is doing a cruise from Buenos Aires to Antarctica in Feb. 2015. Has anyone ever done an Antarctica cruise, either with PP or not? I know there are some Antarctica cruises that spend more time there but are much more expensive.

I went to Celebrity's website to find out about optional excursions, but they only had info about the South American ports of call - Falkland Islands, Cape Horn, Ushuiaia, etc. The Antarctic ports are Schollart Channel, Gerlache Strait, Paradise Bay, and Elephant Island. They spend 2 hours at each of these ports. I've heard they don't actually let you on shore, and that if you want to do that you have to do a much more expensive cruise with another cruiseline on a smaller ship. Is that true?

I have been 3 times. It will be one of the most memorable experiences you can have. The scale and beauty of nature there is unrivaled. A few things to keep in mind. There is an international convention that no ship with more than 500 passengers can disembark and no more than 100 can be ashore at a time. What that means for you is that if shore time is important to you (and it should be) the larger ships will just cruise by. For the 100 to 500 passenger ship time ashore will be rotated. Practically under 200 passengers you will have as much shore time as you want.

In the antarctic summer it will be light just about all the time you are awake and then some. Temperatures will be around freezing. Dress in layers.

Do go and enjoy yourself and be a part of that small minority of humanity that has seen this wonder up close.

I see Pied Piper is doing a cruise from Buenos Aires to Antarctica in Feb. 2015. Has anyone ever done an Antarctica cruise, either with PP or not? I know there are some Antarctica cruises that spend more time there but are much more expensive.

I went to Celebrity's website to find out about optional excursions, but they only had info about the South American ports of call - Falkland Islands, Cape Horn, Ushuiaia, etc. The Antarctic ports are Schollart Channel, Gerlache Strait, Paradise Bay, and Elephant Island. They spend 2 hours at each of these ports. I've heard they don't actually let you on shore, and that if you want to do that you have to do a much more expensive cruise with another cruiseline on a smaller ship. Is that true?

It is absolutely true. Large cruise ships can do "drive bys" of Antarctica, but cannot land people on the continent. And the "Antarctic ports" you listed are not ports. Paradise Bay, for example, is just that -- a gorgeous, scenic bay. There are no cruise ship "ports" in Antarctica.

If you want to land on the continent, you need to take a small-ship expedition, where you'll go ashore in zodiacs or similar boats (or maybe have the ship drive up onto the ice if it's early enough in the season). There are a number of companies that do this.

Thanks to my aunt, we were privileged to be able to take such a trip with Lindblad/National Geographic on the Nat Geo Explorer several years ago. Words and even photos can't do justice to the incredible, unique experience this was, but here's my detailed photo journal if you'd like to learn more:

https://antarcticjourney.wordpress.com/

If you can swing it, this would be far better than a "drive by," but I totally understand that this is not possible for many if not most folks, and I am very thankful to have been able to have done it.

(PS: I don't think you meant the PP cruise is in Feb. 2015 :) )

Gentoosgreettheship1024x768_zps7fc3fea1.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, first I'm ridiculously jealous of mbsilk for having been to Antarctica 3 times! I've only been once (on an expedition ship with Silversea), and it is truly the very best trip I have ever been on (and that includes 6 continents and 50+ countries).

We were only 99 passengers on the ship, which maximized our time on shore - and was totally worth the premium we paid for the smaller ship. Your Celebrity ship will not be allowed to stop (as the previous replies have said). If you really want to get the full experience of Antarctica and can swing it, a small ship is the way to go. There's nothing quite like the experience of a curious penguin walking right up to you and standing just a couple feet away. But if the choice is either go on a large ship or not go at all, I'd still have to vote for go! It'll just wet your appetite to get back there and to see it all close up.

Small ship is better but the cost is usually 4-5 times more than the big ship cruising. If you go to the big ship to save the money, I also recommend you to do the Volunteer Point excursion in Folkland Island where you have close encounter with the King Penguin. Many big ship goes to Antarctica will also visit Folkland Island.

Ok, first I'm ridiculously jealous of mbsilk for having been to Antarctica 3 times! I've only been once (on an expedition ship with Silversea), and it is truly the very best trip I have ever been on (and that includes 6 continents and 50+ countries).

We were only 99 passengers on the ship, which maximized our time on shore - and was totally worth the premium we paid for the smaller ship. Your Celebrity ship will not be allowed to stop (as the previous replies have said). If you really want to get the full experience of Antarctica and can swing it, a small ship is the way to go. There's nothing quite like the experience of a curious penguin walking right up to you and standing just a couple feet away. But if the choice is either go on a large ship or not go at all, I'd still have to vote for go! It'll just wet your appetite to get back there and to see it all close up.