Juneau and Skagway excursion recommendations

Newfun4me

Hey All,

I've been reading a lot about the excursions, both on here and on trip advisor. I guess I'm looking for validation. :) My DH and I (both in our mid 40s) and our son (17) and his friend (17) are heading to Alaska on NCL on July 30. This will be the first trip (and potentially the only trip) to Alaska for all of us. We have spent a lot on the actual cruise (owners suite and penthouse) and we have booked a private fishing charter in Ketchikan. I'm trying not to go nuts on excursions in Skagway and Juneau as my husband is starting to give me the evil eye over the cost. :o So... what to do? I'm thinking of renting a car and driving to Carcross/Emerald Lake in Skagway. That seems to be highly recommended. I'm thinking about taking the shuttle to the Mendenhall Glacier and hiking to the waterfall in Juneau. I'm going back and forth on the mushing camp (with the carts). I looked at the helicopter/dogsledding excursion, but just don't think I can justify another $2000+. So, what do you think? Should we do the mushing camp? We all like dogs. :) I'm not sure exactly how long we'll be in Juneau, but I'm guessing a full day. I would probably be happy with just the glacier, but I want this to be a great trip for the boys. Would you do the glacier and the dog cart camp? Also, if you've done the Carcross trip by car and by train, would you recommend one over the other? I don't know that we will ever go back to Alaska, so I don't want to cheap out at the last minute and make decisions we will regret.

Anything else we should consider???

Thank you so much for your thoughts!

Edited by Newfun4me

I suggest you look at your cruise itinerary so you know how much time you have in each port. A rental car would be a relatively inexpensive option in Skagway - IF there are still cars available to book. (Do all 4 of you have passports?) We did the rail/bus tour to Carcross and Emerald Lake with Chilkoot Charters, so I can't tell you how that compares to going there roundtrip by car. We've also taken the bus to Mendenhall Glacier, as well as rented a car in Juneau to see Mendenhall and other sights.

It's possible to have a great time in Alaska without spending a lot on tours. However, my preference is to spend my money on the tours I really want to do, and so I book a less expensive cabin.

We didn't think we would be back but going for 3/4 trips next month.

In Juneau the buses up to the glacier run from the base of the tram and run around $40pp (due partly to new requirement for them to charge for park entry). City bus drops off a mile downhill from the park if you don't mind the walk. Several car rental places in town, see other posts. We do whale watching there for around $130pp - doubt you see many whales in Texas. You can do various chopper excursions with or without dogssleds, but these are PRICY. Or rafting from the glacier.

Skagway, there are various train/bus excursions going as far as Emerald Lake. Try Dyea Dave. Or you can rent a car and drive (Avis is about a mile from the docks). Don't forget passports if you are going into Canada. Having done that, we like the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve rafting trips. These require a fast ferry to Haines but are scenic, have lots of wildlife, and a decent picnic lunch afterwards.

Edited by LeeW
more info

I highly recommend the drive from Skagway to Carcross. The drive is beautiful. In a rental car you can stop or not at any of the attractions. Lots of beautiful stuff to see in the way. We rented from Green Jeeps. If you don't rent from them, you should buy Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway, as it is a valuable addition that will tell you about the stops. Green Jeeps provides a copy for your use during the rental.

I suggest you look at your cruise itinerary so you know how much time you have in each port. A rental car would be a relatively inexpensive option in Skagway - IF there are still cars available to book. (Do all 4 of you have passports?) We did the rail/bus tour to Carcross and Emerald Lake with Chilkoot Charters, so I can't tell you how that compares to going there roundtrip by car. We've also taken the bus to Mendenhall Glacier, as well as rented a car in Juneau to see Mendenhall and other sights.

It's possible to have a great time in Alaska without spending a lot on tours. However, my preference is to spend my money on the tours I really want to do, and so I book a less expensive cabin.

It's still showing 7:00 to -- on myncl.com, so I'm just not sure yet how much time we will have in port in Juneau. I just reserved a car via Avis in Skagway and the price jumped $50 (from $200 to $250) in the time it took to reserve it. I can still cancel it if we decide to do something different. We do all have passports so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm definitely considering the rail/bus tour. What did you think about that?

We didn't think we would be back but going for 3/4 trips next month.

In Juneau the buses up to the glacier run from the base of the tram and run around $40pp (due partly to new requirement for them to charge for park entry). City bus drops off a mile downhill from the park if you don't mind the walk. Several car rental places in town, see other posts. We do whale watching there for around $130pp - doubt you see many whales in Texas. You can do various chopper excursions with or without dogssleds, but these are PRICY. Or rafting from the glacier.

Skagway, there are various train/bus excursions going as far as Emerald Lake. Try Dyea Dave. Or you can rent a car and drive (Avis is about a mile from the docks). Don't forget passports if you are going into Canada. Having done that, we like the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve rafting trips. These require a fast ferry to Haines but are scenic, have lots of wildlife, and a decent picnic lunch afterwards.

You're right. ;) No whales in Texas! Would love to see some, so I've been thinking about the Harv and Marv excursion. Would you recommend the whale watching? I've read a lot of mixed reviews, although more are favorable.

I just looked at the Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve rafting trip. $250 per person is definitely better than the $500 helicopter excursions. I'll ask my family how that sounds to them. It looks pretty cool to me! Thanks for replying.

I highly recommend the drive from Skagway to Carcross. The drive is beautiful. In a rental car you can stop or not at any of the attractions. Lots of beautiful stuff to see in the way. We rented from Green Jeeps. If you don't rent from them, you should buy Murray's Guide to the South Klondike Highway, as it is a valuable addition that will tell you about the stops. Green Jeeps provides a copy for your use during the rental.

Thank you!

Having done the train up to Carcross and coach back down, here's my thought. Take it for what you will, this is just my opinion about what we did.

First off, the train takes a different route for part of the trip and renting a car doesn't get you to Bennett Lake as far as I know. Decide if that's important.

There's NOT a lot "to" Carcoss. Wide spot in the road is generous. The scenery is fantastic of course, just don't expect a substantial town.

With the trip being my wife and I, had we rented a car yes we could have stopped wherever/whenever, *but* at least one of us would have been driving and focusing on the road. Additionally, the drivers/guides tell a lot about the history and other aspects which is a nice addition; granted you can always read a book, but it's kind of nice hearing the narrative in real time.

For a first trip, I really enjoyed being able to truly enjoy the scenery while someone else did the driving. I might rent a car if we go back, but am pleased with our choice not to DIY this one on our first trip.

It's still showing 7:00 to -- on myncl.com, so I'm just not sure yet how much time we will have in port in Juneau. I just reserved a car via Avis in Skagway and the price jumped $50 (from $200 to $250) in the time it took to reserve it. I can still cancel it if we decide to do something different. We do all have passports so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm definitely considering the rail/bus tour. What did you think about that?

I'm guessing you are on Norwegian Jewel, as that appears to be the only NCL ship departing on July 30th. In that case, here is your itinerary: https://www.ncl.com/cruises/7-day-sawyer-glacier-roundtrip-seattle-JEWEL7SEAKTNJNUSGYVICSEA?numberOfGuests=4294953449&state=null&sailmonths=4294953413&destinations=4294961386&itineraryCode=JEWEL7SEAKTNJNUSGYVICSEA

7-Day Sawyer Glacier, Roundtrip Seattle

View All Ports

Print Itinerary

Day Cruise Ports

Arrive

Depart

Sat Seattle, Washington (EMBARK) --- 4:00 pm

Sun At Sea --- ---

Mon Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 am 3:00 pm

Tue Juneau, Alaska 7:00 am 1:30 pm

Cruise past Sawyer Glacier --- ---

Wed Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 5:30 pm

Thu At Sea --- ---

Fri Victoria, British Columbia 2:30 pm 9:30 pm

Sat Seattle, Washington (DISEMBARK) 8:00 am

You are in Juneau from 7 a.m. only until 1:30 p.m., and from there you go to Tracy Arm.

Regarding the rail/bus tour in Skagway - we enjoyed it very much. I'm tentatively planning on doing a similar bus tour with Dyea Dave next May @ $79 pp - adding on the one-way train return from Fraser @ $84 pp.

This is all incredibly helpful and is letting me see things from a different perspective. Thank you all for taking the time to provide guidance. I really appreciate it!

I hadn't considered the fact that one of us will be driving and likely missing out on some of the scenery. I think that knocks out renting a car. I can say that I don't want to be driving, so I'm pretty sure my husband will feel the same. :)

I'm guessing you are on Norwegian Jewel, as that appears to be the only NCL ship departing on July 30th. In that case, here is your itinerary: https://www.ncl.com/cruises/7-day-sawyer-glacier-roundtrip-seattle-JEWEL7SEAKTNJNUSGYVICSEA?numberOfGuests=4294953449&state=null&sailmonths=4294953413&destinations=4294961386&itineraryCode=JEWEL7SEAKTNJNUSGYVICSEA

7-Day Sawyer Glacier, Roundtrip Seattle

View All Ports

Print Itinerary

Day Cruise Ports

Arrive

Depart

Sat Seattle, Washington (EMBARK) --- 4:00 pm

Sun At Sea --- ---

Mon Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 am 3:00 pm

Tue Juneau, Alaska 7:00 am 1:30 pm

Cruise past Sawyer Glacier --- ---

Wed Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am 5:30 pm

Thu At Sea --- ---

Fri Victoria, British Columbia 2:30 pm 9:30 pm

Sat Seattle, Washington (DISEMBARK) 8:00 am

You are in Juneau from 7 a.m. only until 1:30 p.m., and from there you go to Tracy Arm.

Regarding the rail/bus tour in Skagway - we enjoyed it very much. I'm tentatively planning on doing a similar bus tour with Dyea Dave next May @ $79 pp - adding on the one-way train return from Fraser @ $84 pp.

Thank you. I hadn't seen the time for Juneau and appreciate your help!

I just rented a green jeep. We were supposed to go to Alaska last year and after speaking to several friends who previously did it, I knew we wanted to rent a jeep in Skagway. I was assured by friends that it was an easy drive, and so I don't think driving will be a factor as the roads are not busy like here in the states. Stopping or pulling over, I supposed, will be more like driving the Bear Tooth Highway with easy pull over spots unlike roads that are crowded with flowing traffic making pulling over difficult. But, can someone confirm this for me?

I am also considering renting a car in Juneau but unsure about parking around mended hall glacier etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is all incredibly helpful and is letting me see things from a different perspective. Thank you all for taking the time to provide guidance. I really appreciate it!

I hadn't considered the fact that one of us will be driving and likely missing out on some of the scenery. I think that knocks out renting a car. I can say that I don't want to be driving, so I'm pretty sure my husband will feel the same. :)

One other thing to consider though: when I was in Skagway we did the train. But (like many other days) it was pouring when we were there. Because of that some rocks had hit the rails and the train was unable to go past 10 minutes into it's route. We had to go back, and we all got a refund. At that point it was too late to rent a car (all gone). We ended up just walking the town in the pouring rain.

One other thing to consider though: when I was in Skagway we did the train. But (like many other days) it was pouring when we were there. Because of that some rocks had hit the rails and the train was unable to go past 10 minutes into it's route. We had to go back, and we all got a refund. At that point it was too late to rent a car (all gone). We ended up just walking the town in the pouring rain.

That reminds me about the Tracy Arm small boat excursion. One of the boats broke down and a number of PAX whom booked last for the afternoon excursion were unable to go.

This last minute bad news wasn't announced until we were seated in the lounge. I felt bad for anyone that might never make it back to Alaska.

I drove to Emerald Lake solo, and felt I was able to enjoy the scenery and there were plenty of turn outs, and little traffic. Definitely use Murray's Guide.

I've driven to Mendenhall Glacier several times and ha e never had a problem with finding a place to park.

I drove to Emerald Lake solo, and felt I was able to enjoy the scenery and there were plenty of turn outs, and little traffic. Definitely use Murray's Guide.

I've driven to Mendenhall Glacier several times and ha e never had a problem with finding a place to park.

Thx for ur response about the parking. I may just go ahead and book that car rental

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For everyone worried about driving, especially as the driver, there is not much traffic and often we did not see any other vehicles on the road. The max speed is about 50 MPH, if you observe the speed limit, which I tried to do. There were a few times that I stopped on the road, with a clear view at least a half mile to the rear, and let the front passenger take pictures out the front and side windows. This is not a heavily traveled road. This was the cheapest port day on the cruise at roughly $220 for 3 people including a stop at Caribou Crossing and lunch at a roadside restaurant.

The rental car along with some reading and planning using Murray's Guide lets you decide what you want in a driving tour. It also allows going off the normal path a bit. The Canadian Border Patrol guy told us about a special place for photos once he learned we had brought 5 decent cameras for 3 people.

This was taken while stopped on the road.

P1040563_zpsnq9ahejp.jpg

You can't get this photo from a tour bus trip. It's a local boat launch and scenic camping spot on May 20 this year. If interested, look for a small blue boat launch sign about 10-20 miles after the Canadian border post. It's a good, short gravel road going off to the right side of the Klondike Highway.

DSC04827_zpsewoiycp4.jpg

We were in Skagway and Juneau in June. In Skagway we used Frontier Tours to go to the Yukon/Carcross. I would recommend them highly. There were 12 people on the tour ( four in our own group) and the cost was around $90 per person, which included lunch. We made plenty of photo stops and our guide willingly took photos for everyone and gave us a great tour.

In Juneau we booked a 10:30 a.m. whale watching tour with Harv and Marv, which was canceled (major disappointment) due to high winds on Auke Bay. I don't think this happens often; we were just unlucky. Some of the larger vessels apparently still went out, but we were not able to get on one of these.

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do. Alaska is spectacular!

Edited by newdestination

I find speculation about tour options that are NOT first hand experiences to be pretty useless and often inaccurate. I find that above.

Driving in Alaska/Canada is wide open expansive. The driver is at no disadvantage. It is ONE 2 lane road. With a drive of the Klondike Highway- I find it "necessary" to recommend Murrays Guide. Superbly written and will greatly enhance a trip. Option for the drive- with the above "dog" reference- is the ability to drive up, which is your bargain option. 2 camps on the Klondike Highway that you will pass, Caribou Crossing being one.

Easy to drive in all the Alaska ports.

With the Tracy Arm itinerary- you HAVE to be prepared for no glacier viewing from the cruise ship. The add on ship tour- is grossly superior, with it not uncommon to see humpbacks. Mendenhall is a cheap option- which I suggest by cab for a group of 4. IF you stay on ONLY the Nugget Falls trail - there is no admission fee. BUT, consider being "honest" if you go elsewhere and pony up the small fees. There is a fee map.

The bargain- jackpot that I always suggest in Ketchikan is Totem Bight by city bus.

I find speculation about tour options that are NOT first hand experiences to be pretty useless and often inaccurate. I find that above.

Driving in Alaska/Canada is wide open expansive. The driver is at no disadvantage. It is ONE 2 lane road. With a drive of the Klondike Highway- I find it "necessary" to recommend Murrays Guide. Superbly written and will greatly enhance a trip. Option for the drive- with the above "dog" reference- is the ability to drive up, which is your bargain option. 2 camps on the Klondike Highway that you will pass, Caribou Crossing being one.

Easy to drive in all the Alaska ports.

With the Tracy Arm itinerary- you HAVE to be prepared for no glacier viewing from the cruise ship. The add on ship tour- is grossly superior, with it not uncommon to see humpbacks. Mendenhall is a cheap option- which I suggest by cab for a group of 4. IF you stay on ONLY the Nugget Falls trail - there is no admission fee. BUT, consider being "honest" if you go elsewhere and pony up the small fees. There is a fee map.

The bargain- jackpot that I always suggest in Ketchikan is Totem Bight by city bus.

What is not first-hand about what I posted?

Edited by newdestination

I just rented a green jeep. We were supposed to go to Alaska last year and after speaking to several friends who previously did it, I knew we wanted to rent a jeep in Skagway. I was assured by friends that it was an easy drive, and so I don't think driving will be a factor as the roads are not busy like here in the states. Stopping or pulling over, I supposed, will be more like driving the Bear Tooth Highway with easy pull over spots unlike roads that are crowded with flowing traffic making pulling over difficult. But, can someone confirm this for me?

I am also considering renting a car in Juneau but unsure about parking around mended hall glacier etc.

Alaska is in the "states". Yes, there are simply "pull offs". Stops are usually brief, anyway. No problem parking at Mendenhall, large parking lot on the left when you drive in. Downtown, will require to walk a few blocks probably.

As several others mentioned, I would strongly recommend renting a Green Jeep in Skagway. (If there are any still available) We went several places that I would not have gone with a regular rental car such as driving thru streams. Emerald Lake is gorgeous.

Juneau - if you do take a bus to Mendenhall, double check to see how much time you actually have there. Our bus only gave us something like 45 min.. so we ended up running down the glacier path to get there and back in time.

not you. Some driving claims. I'm talking very "general" and not just on this post.

If any claim is specious, it is that the driver is at "no" disadvantage. The driver still has to watch the road, though not as intensely as may be required elsewhere. This fact remains as true in Alaska and the Yukon as it does in any other open/scenic locale in the US. It was emphasized to us as we drove past the aftermath of a woman hitting a moose on Chena Hot Springs Road.

Let's certainly correct factual errors, but let us also remember some things are opinions and one individual's does not necessarily trump others.

Flat lander, budget Queen, and miss Denise, thanks for affirming my thoughts on an easy drive. I purchased Murray's guide last year but we cancelled that trip and booked for this year. I don't have any clue where it's at. I believe I'll get it again, but read it from my mini-pad which we will take with us.