A Japanese cherry blossom cruise.

drron29

Guess who is headed to the shops.

DSC03045.JPG.

The gatehouse of the castle-

DSC03046.JPG.DSC03054.JPG.

DSC03055.JPG.

Apparently there is a plan to build a replica of the Kanazawa castle.But now back on the bus.

DSC03064.JPG.DSC03067.JPG.

I guess not many places where a bank is described as a dream centre now.

Closer to the dock one of the roads is lined by dogwoods-

DSC03069.JPG.

It had been a really cold day so on returning to the ship a coffee was in order then our last dinner of the cruise.Still another day of the tour though.

So our last night on the ship.Nothing had changed with service.Also we tried to get on the transfer to NRT that was part of the tour package.The Cruise Director and deputy said they were employed by Noble Caledonia so couldn't do it.The Botanica guide said he couldn't do it but we would meet the Botanica rep in Tokyo and it shouldn't be a problem.We weren't on the transfer as we had answered the question on flights to Australia honestly with our flight being in 2 weeks time.However our plan was to go to NRT,leave our bags there and travel with carryons only.More on this when we get to Tokyo.

First our last cruise sunset.OK,not great-

DSC03072-001.JPG.DSC03073.JPG.DSC03075.JPG.

Up early the next morning to have our bags outside the room at 0700.Then a leisurely brekkie.We were in the last group again so we were on a later shinkansen.Our morning tour of the Omicho markets therefore left a little later.A few wanted to use facilities when we arrived at the market giving me time to look at an upmarket pottery store with beautiful decorations-

DSC03079.JPG.DSC03080.JPG.

Then over the road to the market.A nursery outside.Also quite a few of the seafood outlets closed on a Wednesday but enough for an interesting walk around-

DSC03081.JPG.DSC03084.JPG.

DSC03085.JPG.DSC03087.JPG.

Expensive melons-

DSC03116.JPG.

Quite a few eating places there.Mainly seafood and a lot sushi + sashimi.We certainly felt that we could eat here.An easy walk from the stayion but also from the castle and Kenroku-en garden.I left before the crowd and walked the local area.A nice ryokan around the corner-

DSC03123.JPG.DSC03124.JPG.

DSC03125.JPG.DSC03127.JPG.

DSC03129.JPG.

Off through the suburbs of Kanazawa

DSC03138.JPG.DSC03139.JPG.

We decide to eat our lunch a little early.Quite nice,crab and beef.

DSC03141.JPG.

Then we see the snow-

DSC03147.JPG.DSC03151.JPG.

Closer to Nagano the snow increases-

DSC03158.JPG.

Passing a ski village-

DSC03205.JPG.

Once you get through the mountains it is pretty uninteresting.About a 2.5 hour trip.On reaching Tokyo the group has a long walk to the bus.We are taken to the Imperial Palace East garden.This was obviously a time wasting exercise.The garden was no further from the station than the bus.Entrance to the East garden is free.There was a local guide but not very informative.After about an hour we were rushed out and off to the hotel.But before that some pictures from the Palace-

DSC03208.JPG.DSC03210.JPG.

Although entry is free you take a plastic token and hand it back when you exit.

DSC03216.JPG.DSC03217.JPG.

Although the regular cherry blossom time is over there are still some late flowering varieties-

DSC03218.JPG.

Thank you for your lovely photos, drron. We were obviously staying at the Westin Hotel at Kyoto at the same time. We were on a Tauck/Ponant tour, and my husband's camera also went into overload. We loved it all, and I could never get too much cherry blossom. Such friendly people, and we also loved the dining experience, and the lovely food and culture. We spent a morning before the tour started at the Kyoto Botanical Gardens, and the sight of families picnicking under the cherry blossom trees, with not an inch of grass to be seen, reminded me of Bondi beach on Christmas Day! It is such a special event in Japan.

So now back on the bus and off to the tour hotel-the New Otani.From the bus drop off it was a really long walk to a special check in area for the group.All our bags were there.You had to pick them up and schlepp them to your room yourself.The walk to the right lift was at least half the way back.OK for us but for some of the over 80s a real problem as initially no hotel staff to help them.

So up to our room.Because we have no status and part of a tour group it was quite satisfactory though only views over Tokyo buildings.Others did have garden views.

DSC03270.JPG.DSC03271.JPG.

DSC03272.JPG.DSC03273.JPG.

At least I am getting better at taking bathroom pictures without getting in the mirror-

DSC03274.JPG.DSC03275.JPG.

Now there was a farewell dinner at 1830 and it was 1715 already.The tour had included a transfer to NRT but as our flight was on the 28th we were excluded from the transfer.However we had planned to take it and drop our bags at NRT before going by train to Niigata.We tried to be put on the list onboard but as reported were unable to do so.So whilst mrsdrron had a soak in a warm bath I went down and talked to the Botanica rep.She said it was impossible.

On our way to dinner we ran into Botanica's founder.Tried again but the answer was because you booked through a travel agent and not Botanica you have to pay for your own tickets to NRT.

So off to dinner.As we arrived at the room a few people on the tour were leaving.As we sat down we found out why.Only 1 drink included.A bottle of cheap white was $A120.As more walked out it was hastily announced that wine and beer was now complimentary.We weren't the only ones who drank more than we would have initially.

The Botanica rep had not known of our talk to the founder and came and sat next to mrsdrron probably to placate her.Big mistake.She got both barrels from both shotguns.Meanwhile I had a pleasant conversation with an ex Victorian MLA.Dinner was good but western style.

So in summary I am glad we took this cruise because of the itinerary.It was however titled a Cherry Blossom cruise which it really wasn't.We saw the blossoms in Kyoto and Osaka on our own.The blossoms we saw were secondary to other features of the itinerary.

The ship was a disappointment.The staff were certainly not up to the standards we are used to.As an example you often got to the main course before being served any wine.Mrsdrron drinks Sauvignon Blanc.On other ships the wine waiters recognise this in the first day or two.Not on the Caledonian Sky.On a couple of occasions they forgot what her first glass was and tried to add Chardy or a reisling to her SB.

So I looked up our next cruise on Silverseas.Surprised to find it was nearly $A400 a day cheaper than this one and includes a $US1500 OBC.So no more Botanica or APT cruises for us.

Back to happy mode next as we now have another 2 weeks in Japan on our own.

When we woke we noticed several fellows in small boats fishing-

DSC03276.JPG.DSC03277.JPG.

A late start after a nice long breakfast.It worked out that Botanica did us a favour by not allowing us on the NRT transfer as we used the Takubin service to send our bags across town to the Sheraton Miyako where we were staying in 3 days time.So didn't have to do laundry as we could change to fresh clothes when we got there-we did have 2 changes of clothes in our carryons.

A taxi to the station and collected our JR East pass.Took a little longer than usual as they had to make sure our pass was purchased before April 1 as the rules changed then.

The JR East pass office is in the old station building.Wonderful old building-

DSC03279.JPG.DSC03278.JPG.

Booked our train then found a nice sushi restaurant for lunch.I had the mixed sushi which was excellent especially the sea urchin.Mrsdrron had salmon and ikura.One of the other customers was watching me intently.Obviously I do something wrong but it still tastes good.

Then to the platform to catch Toki 323 at 1340 to Niigata.As usual a few shots from the train-

DSC03280.JPG.DSC03283.JPG.

Arriving at Niigata there was a Max Toki on the other platform.I decided we would get one of these back to Tokyo-

DSC03291.JPG.DSC03292.JPG.

It was getting very cold with an odd shower so a cab to the Crowne Plaza.I joined up the IHG loyalty program before we left so this was our first IHG stay.A good welcome as a member,high floor room + waters.As well had just received an email with bonus points for staying before May for our first stay + extra points if we dined at the hotel.A comfortable room with views to the river-

DSC03293.JPG.DSC03295.JPG.

DSC03297.JPG.

But mrsdrron preferred this view-

DSC03296.JPG.

After a quick unpack we walked across town in the direction of Isetan.A lot of upmarket shops.We got some sushi and cakes in a supermarket and bought some sweets from a stall near the bus terminal.We passed by the stall a couple of times later and the woman greeted us each time.Probably we stood out as for the whole time in Niigata we only saw 4 other westerners-4 of those at the station on our way back to Tokyo.We also bought a bottle of Italian pinot grigio at Isetan-unfortunately didn't check the bottle and of course it had a cork and we didn't have a corkscrew.A little lateral thinking and problem solved.

The next day it was freezing with a maximum temp of 10C.But also a freezing wind so with the windchill factor it probably was freezing.Now when we planned this trip Niigata should have been in the middle of it's cherry blossom festival.However blooming was early so we missed it.There was however a late blooming cherry at the front door of the CP-

DSC03299.JPG.DSC03300.JPG.

Size does matter-

DSC03301.JPG.

Now coffee lovers should look away.We needed something warm.No English here.

DSC03302.JPG.DSC03303.JPG.

DSC03304.JPG.