A Japanese cherry blossom cruise.

drron29

At this stage I had been asked by 2 groups of Germans to take their photos.No problems and I didn't mention the war.At the green cherry I was approached by an older Japanese woman who wanted to practise her English.Mrsdrron was paying a visit.She had been an English teacher at an International school.She had been to Australia twice-Sydney and Perth.An interesting chat.One subject did amuse me-she asked why Australians don't have jacaranda viewing parties.

Later on as we were sitting resting an older gent also approached us to have an English conversation.I enjoy these interactions.

Back to the pictorial-

DSC03656.JPG.DSC03658.JPG.

DSC03666.JPG.DSC03668.JPG.

Obviously no smog back in the day-

DSC03677.JPG.DSC03678.JPG.

DSC03695.JPG.DSC03701.JPG.

DSC03705.JPG.

This butterfly kept posing for me so I kept taking it's picture.Mrsdrron was patiently waiting whilst I was doing this.A Russian came up and without warning pushed her out of the way so he and his moll could have their photo taken.He was much younger,taller and fitter than me so I decided not to shirt front him but did give him the finger.

Now on our way out.Had an icecream at the café near the entrance and once more a woman sat down opposite us to have an English conversation.We were very popular that day.So the last flowers of the garden-

DSC03709.JPG.DSC03711.JPG.

When booking our shinkansen as usual I had the train name,number and time written down and it takes very little time.A younger Australian was next to me showing off his Japanese prowess-he was taking very much longer.

We now got the Yamanote line back to Meguro station and had a very late lunch at a very cheap tempurs place.For the price-600 yen it was good-

DSC03722.JPG.DSC03723.JPG.

The delivery man has this nifty bit of equipment that can ascend the stairs.Mrsdrron meanwhile has gone to Uniglo for the first time.Gets some Liberty tops.She has previously bought one in Sportscraft but here about 25% of the price there.I got some more Suduko books.We then walked back to the Sheraton.

DSC04267.JPG.DSC04268.JPG.

DSC04271.JPG.DSC04274.JPG.

Back to the Sheraton and a walk around their garden-

DSC04301.JPG.DSC04303.JPG.DSC04304.JPG.

Instant flowers coming up.Then to the lounge for some coffee and cake.A little later the shuttle back to Meguro to a sushi go round.It used to be pretty good but it has gone high tech and to pay for that the food quality has gone down.Order by computer and it is delivered to your seat by rail-

DSC04305.JPG.DSC04306.JPG.

On our last full day in Tokyo we once more got the shuttle to Meguro but walked back a slightly different way.Past a cemetery-

DSC03726.JPG.DSC03727.JPG.

Then a garden shop-

DSC03728.JPG.DSC03729.JPG.

Their wisteria as in full flower as well as that at the neighbouring pre school-

DSC03730.JPG.DSC03731.JPG.

Hard to believe that you are in the middle of Tokyo.An oasis.

DSC03749.JPG.DSC03751.JPG.

DSC03752.JPG.

The mounds are said to cover the remains of a settlement many hundreds of years ago.You then go downhill to a watercourse-

DSC03753.JPG.DSC03754.JPG.

DSC03761.JPG.

DSC03764.JPG.DSC03765.JPG.

You go back along a little ridge but look down on a swampy area-

DSC03772.JPG.DSC03774.JPG.

The guide has just a little English and there is a pine at least 300 years old in the area so I take photos of any large pines with a sign.The next one however is obviously the one as it has the largest sign-

DSC03776.JPG.DSC03775.JPG.

Still hard to believe you are in the middle of Tokyo.Now an area described as the old garden and an amazing tree-

DSC03780.JPG.DSC03783.JPG.DSC03784.JPG.

Now down to the swampy area.Many wildflowers-

DSC03787.JPG.

A lot of crows in this area making lots of noise.Appear to be eating the young maple leaves-

DSC03789.JPG.DSC03795.JPG.

We come to a lake with a heron doing very well catching small fish.

DSC03822.JPG.DSC03824.JPG.

This fellow was quick.seemed to be targeting insects-

DSC03829.JPG.DSC03828.JPG.

DSC03831.JPG.DSC03836.JPG.

So if you have been to Tokyo many times and think you have done it all this is a good place to while away a couple of hours.Easy to get to.A 310 yen admission but for us oldies over 65-free.

Thursday and got the 1038 shuttle to Meguro.Yamanote line to Tokyo.Booked the Joyful train from Akita to Hirosaki on sunday as it is said to be full often and as this was peak blossom viewing there plus Golden week coming up thought it safer to book earlier.It is covered by the JR East pass.Then to Daimaru basement to buy some snacks for the train.on the way to the platform we saw this-

DSC04307.JPG.DSC04308.JPG.

We are on komachi 19.It is attached to the Hokkaido shinkansen until Morioka-a little north of Sendai.After Morioka it was time for lunch-

DSC03854.JPG.DSC03855.JPG.

Nice scenery after Morioka-

DSC03858.JPG.DSC03859.JPG.

When we were initially planning this holiday it was nearly impossible to get reasonable accommodation in Akita and Hirosaki.We made bookings at booking.com but at ~$400 a night.The hotels know this time will be a sellout.This is when a good TA shows their worth.At ~ 3 months out consolidators release the rooms they don't think they can now sell.Our Ta was ready and we got decent hotels at nearly 50% off our bookings.A saving of nearly $1000 for the 2 places.

The position in Akita was perfect.Not far from the station and across the road from Senshu Park and the castle-the best blossom viewing around here.Again when we initially booked we thought we would be a little early but this year the season was early so we were here at just the right time.

Now the Akita Castle Hotel-

DSC04309.JPGDSC04310.JPG.

DSC04311.JPG.DSC04312.JPG.

And the view.Pity about the weather-

DSC04313.JPG.DSC04314.JPG.

Very little English spoken here and checkin took a while.tried to book into their Japanese restaurant but told booked out for our stay.I think they didn't want gaijin there.