LAX to San Pedro port - transport with stop for wine

beckntom

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseam . . . but I can't find it. How are we going to get from LAX to the port (day of embarkation) and make a stop at a liquor/wine store to buy 8-10 bottles of wine to take onboard?

We arrive REALLY early morning (like 8:00), and if it weren't for the wine, we'd just take SuperShuttle. Execucar wanted to charge $212.50 for a "charter" rate for the extra stop. No thanks, Execucar.

What are our best options? Thanks for any help.

There is a liquor store/market half mile from the cruise ship terminal: Ocean Liquor Market (233 N Harbor Blvd # A, San Pedro, CA 90731). Others have posted using it because of its convenient location (shows opening at 9:00 AM) but don't know about their selection & prices. I believe there's a Vons market (10% discount for 6 or more bottles) located not far from the port (maybe on Gaffey St). We drive from home & bring wine we purchase at either Costco or Total Wine.

If you want to check the Total Wine website the closest store is 14 miles from the port (1505 Hawthorne Blvd. Redondo Beach, CA 90278) and 8 miles from LAX. That might not be cost effective for you from LAX but one advantage is that it's possible to preorder & quickly pick up your wine.

I've never used Uber however it's frequently suggested as an alternative to a cab or shuttle to get from LAX to the cruise ship terminal & may be your best option to purchase wine when going between LAX & the World Cruise Center in the San Pedro area of LA.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Do not know your mobility but we checked into the port, dropped off our luggage and then walked into San Pedro to the local grocery. I have a couple of foldable wine carriers which I put into my carry on prior to going to LA. A little bit of a task to carry 6-8 bottles to the ship but doable.

As Astro said, Ocean Liquor is virtually across the street from the cruise terminal...of course it's an ordinary liquor store/mini-market type place so not a great selection of wines. Another option is Off the Vine Wines--a great specialty wine shop in Downtown San Pedro...491 W. 6th Street--just past the Crowne Plaza about another block and a half...So, it's walking distance from the pier for most--especially if you've already checked in your luggage. Great selection of wines...and, I believe they will actually deliver them to the ship for you if you arrange it ahead of time. I might skip the complicating and expensive extra stop on the trip from LAX...just go right to the pier, check in luggage, then venture out on my own to buy wine. Vons, BTW, is at 12th and Gaffey--you'd likely need a taxi or Uber to get there.

Aside from Total Wine, there is also a BevMo at the Del Amo Mall on Hawthorne Blvd. and another at Pacific Coast Highway and Crenshaw in Torrance/Lomita, but both of those would require a detour off of the typical all-freeway route to the pier. Also, there are a Trader Joe's and a Ralphs Supermarket on Western Ave. in the Northwest corner of San Pedro--not too far from the pier, but again, more than walking distance.

I think we have our answer--take an inexpensive shuttle to the port, check in our luggage, and then strike out for wine at one of the stores mentioned--either by foot or taxi. We have plenty of time to do that, so it works.

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. You made it so simple when I was overcomplicating things. And worrying too much. :)

I think we have our answer--take an inexpensive shuttle to the port, check in our luggage, and then strike out for wine at one of the stores mentioned--either by foot or taxi. We have plenty of time to do that, so it works.

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. You made it so simple when I was overcomplicating things. And worrying too much. :)

After reading Bruin Steve's info, I'd do the same thing if I was in your situation. He's very knowledgeable about San Pedro & Long Beach options and now I'm better informed about SP wine purchasing options...thanks Bruin Steve.

What ship are you sailing? We sail Princess from the larger pier 93 (the pier on the Love Boat series) and have arrived as early as 10:00 to drop off our luggage. Check-in begins about 10:30 and priority boarding begins by noon.

Since you're arriving so early, have you considered touring the battleship USS Iowa which is within walking distance of the cruise ship terminal. In this webcam you can see the Iowa & cruise ships berth behind it at the left side of the Vincent Thomas bridge (cruise ships begin arriving again on 9/22/16).

http://www.lawaterfront.org/multimedia.php

Edited by Astro Flyer

After reading Bruin Steve's info, I'd do the same thing if I was in your situation. He's very knowledgeable about San Pedro & Long Beach options and now I'm better informed about SP wine purchasing options...thanks Bruin Steve.

What ship are you sailing? We sail Princess from the larger pier 93 (the pier on the Love Boat series) and have arrived as early as 10:00 to drop off our luggage. Check-in begins about 10:30 and priority boarding begins by noon.

Since you're arriving so early, have you considered touring the battleship USS Iowa which is within walking distance of the cruise ship terminal. In this webcam you can see the Iowa & cruise ships berth behind it at the left side of the Vincent Thomas bridge (cruise ships begin arriving again on 9/22/16).

http://www.lawaterfront.org/multimedia.php

Great suggestions. We will check out the USS Iowa. We are sailing on Ruby Princess; 10-day Mexican Riviera/Sea of Cortez. It's not until January, but I like to begin worrying early. :D I believe we have mutual friends: Brian and his wife Sue from the San Antonio area. We tried to talk them into joining us, but they were emphatically disinterested in a MR cruise. We will just have to have a great time without them. :D

Thanks again for your help.

Great suggestions. We will check out the USS Iowa. We are sailing on Ruby Princess; 10-day Mexican Riviera/Sea of Cortez. It's not until January, but I like to begin worrying early. :D I believe we have mutual friends: Brian and his wife Sue from the San Antonio area. We tried to talk them into joining us, but they were emphatically disinterested in a MR cruise. We will just have to have a great time without them. :D

Thanks again for your help.

Small world! We enjoyed sailing with them nearly 5 years ago from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale on the Ruby's sister ship the Crown. :) Brian & I still email regularly & we have fun bantering with each other having a similar outlook on things & a sense of humor. :D

They generously invited us to join them on a Quebec horse buggy tour, a bus tour around the Quebec area and even on their aft facing balcony to enjoy some vino. A couple of years ago we picked them up during their day in port at Santa Barbara (we live midway between SB & San Pedro) and we went wine tasting in the Santa Ynez Valley wine country that's well known for Pinot Noir.

We've attempted to cruise together again but due to health issues neither of us can easily tolerate longer flights.

We're sailing to Hawaii on the Wine Wednesday before you sail & based on this schedule the Ruby will be at the larger pier 93 and the smaller Oceania Regatta is at the smaller pier 92. Both ships depart & return on the same day so it shouldn't be too crowded like on the rare days when there are 4 ships in port & 2 ships are berthed at the overflow piers further away.

https://www.portsamerica.com/cruise/los-angeles-terminal.html

Edited by Astro Flyer

Small world! We enjoyed sailing with them nearly 5 years ago from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale on the Ruby's sister ship the Crown. :) Brian & I still email regularly & we have fun bantering with each other having a similar outlook on things & a sense of humor. :D

They generously invited us to join them on a Quebec horse buggy tour, a bus tour around the Quebec area and even on their aft facing balcony to enjoy some vino. A couple of years ago we picked them up during their day in port at Santa Barbara (we live midway between SB & San Pedro) and we went wine tasting in the Santa Ynez Valley wine country that's well known for Pinot Noir.

We've attempted to cruise together again but due to health issues neither of us can easily tolerate longer flights.

We're sailing to Hawaii on the Wine Wednesday before you sail & based on this schedule the Ruby will be at the larger pier 93 and the smaller Oceania Regatta is at the smaller pier 92. Both ships depart & return on the same day so it shouldn't be too crowded like on the rare days when there are 4 ships in port & 2 ships are berthed at the overflow piers further away.

https://www.portsamerica.com/cruise/los-angeles-terminal.html

I've heard about the buggy tour in Quebec, and that's the one thing Brian insisted Tommy and I do when we were on a similar cruise in 2014. Also, we were with them on the cruise when they ditched us to spend the day with you in Santa Barbara. Thanks a lot, Frank. :)

We get together with them as often as we two couples can manage it. It often involves wine, not surprisingly. Or beer here at our favorite "dive" here in Lockhart. Yep, "wine Wednesday" . . love it!

I've heard about the buggy tour in Quebec, and that's the one thing Brian insisted Tommy and I do when we were on a similar cruise in 2014. Also, we were with them on the cruise when they ditched us to spend the day with you in Santa Barbara. Thanks a lot, Frank. :)

We get together with them as often as we two couples can manage it. It often involves wine, not surprisingly. Or beer here at our favorite "dive" here in Lockhart. Yep, "wine Wednesday" . . love it!

We had 2 extra seats in our van so you could have joined us. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 2 years later...
On 7/31/2016 at 8:41 PM, wheezedr said:

Do not know your mobility but we checked into the port, dropped off our luggage and then walked into San Pedro to the local grocery. I have a couple of foldable wine carriers which I put into my carry on prior to going to LA. A little bit of a task to carry 6-8 bottles to the ship but doable.

6-8 bottles? Are you just paying the corkage fee? Or is there a way to get more than one bottle per person on board?

Edited by merryonion