Liberty of the Seas Voom speeds

On Liberty with Surf+Stream I got between 0.40-2.0Kb/s DL Speed with a ping of 600-1600ms

On Oasis I got a blazing faster 30-90Mb/s with a ping of 50-200ms

Oasis was literally over 80-100x faster there just wasn't a comparison.

There must have been something else going on with your sailing to have such low numbers. Most reporting has down speeds up to .5MB for SURF and up to 5 MB for STREAM on non O3B ships. Ping on those same ships are 600ms+.

There has been varying numbers reported for O3B ships, with some fairly low numbers for Freedom. As Bob mentioned, Miami seems to be adjusting the speeds.

Probably the fastest slow internet at sea.

When the marketeers came up with that slogan they meant ships with O3B, leaving out the fact the majority of the fleet doesn't have O3B internet. All of your apps should work fine on a ship like Allure.

Hello,

I have been reading your discussion and I am not literate in anything computer. I don't know what pings are. It's as if you all are talking a foreign language to me.

I am cruising in November. I am looking at purchasing the basic internet package at the discounted rate. I would like to have the ability to check my e-mails & possibly keep up with FB while on board. I don't plan on posting photos/videos or watching videos - we have a tv in the room if I REALLY feel like I need to watch tv while on vacation.

Is the basic internet package worth the cost to be able to read e-mails?

AT&T's roaming package is $120 for limited internet and unlimited calls & text.

Also, AT&T now has towers in Mexico, so if you get far enough away from the ship you can use voice, text, & data as if in the US (applicable with certain plans).

I'm trying to check all of my options.

Thanks!

Hello,

I have been reading your discussion and I am not literate in anything computer. I don't know what pings are. It's as if you all are talking a foreign language to me.

I am cruising in November. I am looking at purchasing the basic internet package at the discounted rate. I would like to have the ability to check my e-mails & possibly keep up with FB while on board. I don't plan on posting photos/videos or watching videos - we have a tv in the room if I REALLY feel like I need to watch tv while on vacation.

Is the basic internet package worth the cost to be able to read e-mails?

AT&T's roaming package is $120 for limited internet and unlimited calls & text.

Also, AT&T now has towers in Mexico, so if you get far enough away from the ship you can use voice, text, & data as if in the US (applicable with certain plans).

I'm trying to check all of my options.

Thanks!

Pre buy before your cruise it's worth it.

When the marketeers came up with that slogan they meant ships with O3B, leaving out the fact the majority of the fleet doesn't have O3B internet. All of your apps should work fine on a ship like Allure.

To be honest with you after 5 days it's the best internet I've ever had at Sea even though it's not really fast enough to stream without buffering during peak times. And I understand the marketing concept I guess if they told the truth they wouldn't sell as much but again I think it's worth it.

Not everyone needs VRBO and HomeAway to make their money 24 hours a day

. The other major point is it's unlimited and coming from Princess which is still dragging their feet because they're afraid they're going to lose Revenue rather than gaining with a cluster mess - I would 100% do it every time on this ship if you want internet access even though its not 5 or 9 Meg down like the new ships. And I believe they are using low orbiting satellites maybe it's not equipped the same but it's way faster than anything I've ever experienced on any other ship.

I think part of it that gives you the impression it's faster than what it is is the upload speeds which come in handy when you're uploading photos and things they're consistently at 2 meg

Probably the only thing that I really like about this ship to be honest.

946157e0a712ab92606e360c0abad71d.jpg

Edited by BeachBum777

Guess you've never had satellite TV

in a / cloud ☆ rain storm

I said cloud cover, not heavy precipitation. Just the clouds themselves will have minimal impact but yes, once mother nature wrings out those clouds to form heavy rain/snow, then you may have outages.

Biker, who had Dish sat TV 20+ years ago and knows about sat outages.

Edited by Biker19

Have you talked to anyone who just had the surf? If so, what was their experience?

Most folks have reported download speeds up to about .5MB on SURF. That's still usable for most things, but you'll have a hard time streaming anything more than low res Youtube video.