Secaucus to Manhattan with luggage (Bus or train?)

mommasaurus

We will be taking a cruise on the Breakaway soon and had a question about transportation from Secaucus, New Jersey to Manhattan with luggage. We can take the bus (#320 - I think) which takes you to the Port Authority Bus Terminal or the train which takes you to New York Penn Station. Both are $4.25 a person. Our hotel is conveniently located to both stations. We would be doing this early afternoon (before 3:00) on a Thursday. It would be myself and my teenage kids (13 &15). We have traveled a lot and they are used to riding trains and subways and looking after their luggage. I have read that the train station at Secaucus can be confusing and I am wondering about getting the luggage through the turnstiles.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I would definitely suggest the train. At Secaucus, find the departures board that looks like this:

http://www.railfanwindow.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/NJT-Secaucus-Upper-Lvl-Departures-big.png

Just get on the first train headed to NY Penn, the tracks are clearly marked. Also, they don't have traditional turnstiles, they have gates that open when you scan your ticket, so your luggage shouldn't be an issue.

I would definitely suggest the train. At Secaucus, find the departures board that looks like this:

http://www.railfanwindow.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/NJT-Secaucus-Upper-Lvl-Departures-big.png

Just get on the first train headed to NY Penn, the tracks are clearly marked. Also, they don't have traditional turnstiles, they have gates that open when you scan your ticket, so your luggage shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for your help/advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Will the train be really crowded mid-afternoon? I think that it is a short walk from Penn Station to W35th street.

Thanks for your help/advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Will the train be really crowded mid-afternoon? I think that it is a short walk from Penn Station to W35th street.

You're very welcome.

The train into the city should not be very crowded on a Thursday afternoon, you shouldn't have an issue getting a seat and having room for your bags.

Yes, only a couple of blocks to your hotel, easily manageable even with luggage.

We will be taking a cruise on the Breakaway soon and had a question about transportation from Secaucus, New Jersey to Manhattan with luggage. We can take the bus (#320 - I think) which takes you to the Port Authority Bus Terminal or the train which takes you to New York Penn Station. Both are $4.25 a person. Our hotel is conveniently located to both stations. We would be doing this early afternoon (before 3:00) on a Thursday. It would be myself and my teenage kids (13 &15). We have traveled a lot and they are used to riding trains and subways and looking after their luggage. I have read that the train station at Secaucus can be confusing and I am wondering about getting the luggage through the turnstiles.

I work in Secaucus. Last year I used a car service from my home about an hour away. For my next 2 planned cruises out of NYC, I intend to leave my car at work and take a local taxi. It seems like too much to use any mass transit method with luggage.

Your hotel is between 5th and 6th, so it is a walk from Penn Station, since it's the "long" blocks. Just don't over pack, and only have one rolling bag to manage. I walk multiple trips farther but, even to the cruise ships. :) I also see many who just don't.

In my opinion it still seems it could be trouble getting the luggage onto the train and then having to go up escalator after arriving- however as mentioned it is not a peak time going but if it were me I would just you a car service.

It is still going to be crowded getting out of Penn Station.

Sometimes when i take the Breakaway I drag my bags a few blocks to the hotel though and although doable, it is a pain even early on a Saturday.

I am not trying to discourage you and don't disagree with taking the train, I just think a car service is more comfortable and you don't have to deal with turnstiles, gates, escalators, stoplights etc..

Just got off the BA last May29-june5 , We stayed at the same hotel in Secaucus we took Uber to port Imperial (tunnel was congested) then took Ferry to Midtown / W. 39th St.,We passed behind the Gem and the Ba took some great picture a short walk from pier and the Ba less than 5 minutes walk

10gzo86.jpg