Stay In London Or Southampton?

We have booked a hotel stay in London for 3 days prior to our Golden Princess

10 day British Isles cruise in August 2006. From prior experience would you stay in one day Southampton prior to cruise or continue to stay at what I believe will be a luxurious (although quite expensive) hotel in London the night before and just take a private car (we are not able to haul luggage on to a train) the day of the cruise? Any suggestions on a Gatwick hotel the night post-cruise for a very early morning flight? Thank you!!

I would stay in London, but there may be nice things to do in Southampton too. At that time of the year, the sun doesn't set until 8:30 or so in London, and I would enjoy an extra evening in the city to ride the London Eye and take a river cruise on the Thames, see a show, ride the train back from Windsor or Kew Gardens or Hampton Court Palace, hang out at Covent Garden, walk through one of the parks, etc. Depending on what day you are sailing, some of the museums have late hours one day each week too. For me, there's always so much to do in London and so little time. :)

We used Woodford Chauffeur car service to Dover in August and were very pleased with their services. We found them on these boards. I don't know if they service Southampton, but the e-mail address is cheryl@bcfinch.freeserve.co.uk.

Have a great trip,

Donna

We would recommend the Sofitel (formerly leMeridien) at Gatwick which is actually in the airport (North Terminal.) It's extremely convenient for an early morning flight. Have a look at the Sofitel website for dates and prices. There is also the Hilton at the South Terminal, again actually on site. Either hotel, is only a few minutes away from checking in and don't involve any shuttle buses etc. You only need to fall out of bed.!!

Marge M.

Not really a choice..............Southampton is a busy Commercial Port with Container Ships leaving all the time. Not a major Cruise hub.

Several Shopping Centres but really dont waste your time there. London is London with so much to do.

As previously mentioned The Hilton and Sofitel are the best located.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

I agree about staying the extra night in London, if you only have three nights in the UK pre-cruise. There is far more to see and do there, and Southampton is easy to reach the next day.

If the prices of the two Gatwick hotels are similar, choose the one that's attached to the terminal from which your flight departs. Even though there's a reasonably efficient monorail connecting the two terminals, the convenience of not having to transfer between the terminals is very nice if you have to check in very early. It also makes it easier to do the trick of going to check in your bags and collect boarding passes first, and then coming back to the hotel to have breakfast and check out later, if you have time for that.

Archived