Dress Code

AC Cruise

Short sleeve collared shirt untucked with jeans ok? Slacks and tucked in shirt for formal night?

Perfect. On Carnival it's acceptable to wear shorts on all but Cruise Elegant nights. Lot's do!

Edited by BallFour4

Coach travel, train travel, airline travel, ship travel, sitting in church or going to a ball game all used to be occasions where we used to pay attention to our wardrobe. Not today. Today's motto is 'I'll do what I like'. "Dress for success" is a bygone saying and is just dust blowing in the wind in many corporate headquarters these days.

Dressing for dinner on a cruise ship doesn't mean that you need to dress like you're a guest at a royal coronation. That's not necessary, but keep in mind that for men putting on a polo shirt and slacks is no more difficult than putting on jeans and a T-shirt. For the ladies putting on a skirt and blouse should be a walk in the park.

Look sharp when you go out to dinner back home but also look sharp while dinning in the MDR while cruising. Looking sharp is easy and has nothing to do with what cruise line you've chosen, if you're in a suite or lesser accommodation or how much you paid for your cruise.

Today's motto is 'I'll do what I like'...

Dressing for dinner on a cruise ship doesn't mean that you need to dress like you're a guest at a royal coronation. That's not necessary, but keep in mind that for men putting on a polo shirt and slacks is no more difficult than putting on jeans and a T-shirt...

Agree. But consider that given the dress guidelines from Carnival some elect to cruise with them based on the option to wear shorts for all but one dinner meal. My wife and I are in that group.

We've walked aboard the Triumph with a small rolling suitcase for a quick 4 night trip and were within Carnivals attire suggestions from boarding until we walked off the ship. For us that meant a casual dress for my wife and one pair of long pants for the Cruise Elegant night.

Your comment about "I do what I like" should read "I do what is within the guidelines."

When we cruise on Royal I wear slacks to dinner most nights, jeans on some. For formal night I take a suit. All within the guidelines, and not doing anything against their posted dress suggestions on either line.

Edited by BallFour4

Everything I ready says you need to wear dressy clothes at dinner. I'm going to be in a tropical location, I want to wear shorts and a t-shirt. Is the fancy clothing only required in a certain dinning room? Can I get food some other place where it doesn't matter what i'm wearing?

Since you say are probably going Carnival, you do not have a thing to worry about. Dress codes apply only to the main dining room in the evening and specialty restaurants. Shorts and Tshirt are fine for all the eateries in the buffet area, and food options there are very plentiful. You can also do breakfast, lunch, and brunch in the MDR in shorts and a T-Shirt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by simplelife

The word that is meant to be friendly to all, (we're trying to sell cruise tickets to an enormous cross section of people aren't we?) is the word 'guidelines'. Guidelines are pretty easy to stay within but the boarders can be very wide. The onus of confusion and perhaps misguided interpretation of any cruise lines dress code falls squarely on the shoulders of the industry. 99% of the population will do exactly what they're asked to do if the request is reasonable and if they're told what the minimum standards [really] are. Fuzziness is confusing and often embarrassing when misinterpreted. Come on cruise lines spell out, in plain language, what you're suggestion actually mean and end the confusion.