QUESTION. New York to Seward

JohnGaltny

Hi all,

Looking for advice. We are considering a Cruise Tour for next summer with the cruise being at the end Southbound.

We are in New York and looking for some options about how best to get to Seward, AK for the start of the trip. Vancouver to home is easy.

Thanks in Advance.

I'm slightly confused... if you're going a cruise-tour southbound, the cruise line doing the land tour would get you to Seward at the end of the land tour. All you'd need to do is get to where the land tour portion begins, which would be likely either Anchorage or Fairbanks.

If you just meant a cruise instead, typically people will fly to Anchorage and take train or coach over to Seward. Info on some options for this can be found at http://www.alaska.org/advice/anchorage-to-seward

Just be sure your cruise line doesn't already include the transfer from Anchorage as part of the cruise.

Edited by gpb11

I'll contrast AKStafford's post slightly with my personal view. As background, we're by no means shy of DIY stuff and have done plenty both when cruising and when taking other trips.

We did a northbound cruise-tour with nights in Seward, Anchorage, and then two nights each in Denali and Fairbanks.

We considered DIY for the land portion but for our first-time trip we chose to go with the packaged tour largely for convenience. We greatly enjoyed the information and local insights of the various coach drivers and guides as we were going from one place to another. We also enjoyed getting to know some of the other couples we were travelling with through the land portion. To also be completely honest, as the primary planner I would have been much more on edge on a DIY worrying that I hadn't screwed something up. With that part being in someone else's hands I personally was much more relaxed and able to stare out the coach or train windows never worrying about traffic. At least with our specific itinerary, we didn't find any part of it to be rushed and we were reasonably satisfied with the time we had at the various places. We did do a bit of DIY in terms of having a rental car for the 2nd day in Fairbanks and a late-evening flight out.

If we should visit Alaska again, we will likely DIY the land portion now that we both have a much better grasp of things. There is certainly much to be said for doing a DIY land portion, but also some disadvantages too. We ended up very happy with how we chose to do things.

Hi all,

Looking for advice. We are considering a Cruise Tour for next summer with the cruise being at the end Southbound.

We are in New York and looking for some options about how best to get to Seward, AK for the start of the trip. Vancouver to home is easy.

Thanks in Advance.

Fly into Anchorage and if you can make the train, take the train to Seward. We couldn't make the train work with the flights. We grabbed one of the "tour transfer" bus services. It was painless and we stopped at the wildlife center for an hour.

Dropping a rental car at Seward isn't really an option since it's extremely expensive and I believe only Budget does it.

Dropping a rental car at Seward isn't really an option since it's extremely expensive and I believe only Budget does it.

It's Hertz. We had no trouble getting the car in Anchorage and dropping it in Seward. It was expensive for a two-day rental, but you have to compare how long you want it and how many people. For more than two people and for only one day, it might be cheaper than the bus.

Reserve early.

It's Hertz. We had no trouble getting the car in Anchorage and dropping it in Seward. It was expensive for a two-day rental, but you have to compare how long you want it and how many people. For more than two people and for only one day, it might be cheaper than the bus.

Reserve early.

I booked a Car from Sunday 7/3 to Friday 7/8 from Avis for $444 + taxes and Fees. Hertz was over $300 a day before taxes and fees to return to Seward. The Bus was $122.85 for 2 of us and included the wildlife center entrance fee.

I agree, if you have a big family, you could probably make the math work

Reserve early is right. I reserved the car in January...when I picked it up Sunday, there were 4 total cars in the garage left to rent.

We reserved nearly a year out (in beginning of September 2015 for end of July 2016) and paid less than half of what you were quoted. That helps the math.

WOW. I just did a check on Hertz's website and for a year from now, it's still $344+taxes for a day!! Unbelievable.

Edited by ShipsandDipper

We have done the land portion both ways. First time (10 years ago)through the cruise line so that there were no worries on our part. Then this summer, we did the land DIY and had a great experience. I think I'd fly into Anchorage. Rent a car there and do whatever exploring you want to do - Denali, many sights along Tournagain Arm, etc., then return car and take other transportation to Seward. The one way car rentals are killer. We opted for the train down and spent a couple of days in Seward visiting Exit Glacier and doing a full day in the Kenai Fjords before sailing.

We took the hotel shuttle to our hotel in Anchorage and picked up our car at the downtown Enterprise location the next morning. It was cheaper than renting at the airport. If you have a warehouse membership, you can book through their travel dept and get a discount.

The entry for Alaska, as mentioned, by air- is either Anchorage or Fairbanks. I don't go with the "practice trip" thinking but it is a popular consideration. Most, important, is to educate yourself on the details of mainland Alaska travel, I am appalled at some of the cruise tours sold- some very poor choices- worthless tours, in my opinion.

A factor always involved in my trip planning is "value". Money- is NOT what is most important to me, but instead, what that "buys" me in experience. It "pays" :) to know- yourself. :) I know my sister- loves, sitting around counting her money and see those huge plies stacking up. :) :) :) She Is NOT interested in much of anything else. Spending it- is a big negative and resented as not being as enjoyable to her. These are just pure- extreme examples- but fitting perhaps with thinking about touring Alaska, and the costs involved.

Plan a trip for YOU and what you are comfortable with. NOT what someone, claims are "must dos". What should be the obvious here are the multiple RAVE reports of Alaska travels. Go and enjoy!!!!