Sweeping acropolis vistas & dinner in the plaka

binbin854

• 2 weeks later...

The excursion started with a bus ride to a downtown hotel with a rooftop restaurant. Not enough seating to accommodate everyone, but nice views. Dinner was at a restaurant, after a short, but crowded walking tour. Food was good, But nothing special (main course was chicken kabobs). Entertainment was good as well, but ran a bit long, IMHO. By the time they finished most were ready to go do bit of shopping before getting the bus back to the ship.

Overall it was a pretty good start to our cruise, but a bit long for people who had just arrived from the US earlier the same day.

If you have the choice otherwise, the restaurant on the rooftop of the Hilton offers a great Acropolis view. They also have rooms that have this view. They are less expensive than most of the Plaka area places, dinner service begins at 5:30, so you can have an early dinner, still get the views, and get a solid night's sleep before starting your cruise the next day.

We were at The Hilton in May for the second time. Nice hotel with good rooms and great view from the rooftop bar.

We actually had drinks there but had dinner in a local taverna just a 5 minute walk away which was recommended by the Azamara rep at the hotel. They had carafes of local, very good, wine for the princely sum of 6 euros. I have searched my file and also looked on Streetview on Google but I can't find the name of the taverna. Sorry. On the other hand if this is your first visit to Athens then you will be able to go to the Plaka for dinner easily with a taxi from the hotel.

We have stayed at the Hilton Athens before. We really loved the hotel. Their roof top bar is one of the hot clubs in all of Athens. Great views; great music.

We will be staying there at the end of our cruise - from Sept. 25 - 27th.

It sounds like you are saying that the Viking excursion "Sweeping Acropolis Vistas and Dinner at the Plaka" is not worth the money.

• 4 weeks later...

Well we wound up doing it and I can say my first instinct was correct. The restaurant and food was just awful. Inedible almost. We kept asking for more tsaziki sauce to help it go down! Not worth the time or money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So sorry to hear that as we took your advice and cancelled our reservation. If you are staying at the Athens Hilton, we had a very nice meal at the top of the hotel. Great view; excellent service; good food and very expensive. The next night we left the hotel and went to a local family restaurant. Better food and service without the view and the price. :)