Not new to Photography, but new to photographing on a cruise...

I pack photo gear not only according to the cruise itself, but also to the ports and time of day you are in ports.

If I take the "basic" Caribbean cruise out of Florida, I always bring along UV Haze filter as well as ND filter. I often find a haze in the Caribbean and enjoy taking photos of "smooth" water and waterfalls.

As to tripod, if I am in an interesting city before or after the cruise or stay in port after dark, I always bring along a travel tripod.

With my Sony a6000 I can easily have it all in a handy and secure Packsafe shoulder bag.

I just bought a Tamron 24-135mm lens for a bargain!!! and I have been practising on it as this is the first time I have this kind of WA angle lens. My 12-24mm is also new to me earlier this year so I am bringing both of them. It seems that the 24-135mm is a good walkabout lens. Not the best perhaps but it was in excellent condition plus at my local camera store so I bite. My first second hand lens. So that means I have a new 72mm lens without any filter at all. I am going shopping for CPL and ND filter this week online. And I saw that B&H carries a CPL that also reduces haze in landscapes...maybe other uses too...

Hoya 72mm HD2 Circular Polarizer Filter

What do you think of the above? I have a UV filter on all my lenses for protection and I reckon that if I buy this one, I wouldn't be needing another one to slap on top of it. Now the only thing I want to buy is the ND filter which I love to be able to use on sea days at the golden hours...I also have a set of CPL for each sizes of my lenses. This is the first for this new lens and it already came with a UV filter and I have a funny feeling it is not a haze filter either. (I just found this out now as my camera is near me...it came with a UV filter.)

I will surely bring my tripod even if I won't use it on the ship...perhaps on port days? Good protection too for me...and I also use Pacsafe accessories. An expert in my photo group recommended it and I quite like it for security.

Good advice. Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate it very much.

Cheers.

Aussie Trekker

Izzie

Edited by Trekker2016

I just bought a Tamron 24-135mm lens for a bargain!!! and I have been practising on it as this is the first time I have this kind of WA angle lens. My 12-24mm is also new to me earlier this year so I am bringing both of them. It seems that the 24-135mm is a good walkabout lens. Not the best perhaps but it was in excellent condition plus at my local camera store so I bite. My first second hand lens. So that means I have a new 72mm lens without any filter at all. I am going shopping for CPL and ND filter this week online. And I saw that B&H carries a CPL that also reduces haze in landscapes...maybe other uses too...

Hoya 72mm HD2 Circular Polarizer Filter

What do you think of the above? I have a UV filter on all my lenses for protection and I reckon that if I buy this one, I wouldn't be needing another one to slap on top of it. Now the only thing I want to buy is the ND filter which I love to be able to use on sea days at the golden hours...I also have a set of CPL for each sizes of my lenses. This is the first for this new lens and it already came with a UV filter and I have a funny feeling it is not a haze filter either. (I just found this out now as my camera is near me...it came with a UV filter.)

I will surely bring my tripod even if I won't use it on the ship...perhaps on port days? Good protection too for me...and I also use Pacsafe accessories. An expert in my photo group recommended it and I quite like it for security.

Good advice. Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate it very much.

Cheers.

Aussie Trekker

Izzie

I don't own a lens that doesn't have a filter on it, AND a good one, no good paying got good glass then putting a rubbish filter on it.

I don't own a lens that doesn't have a filter on it, AND a good one, no good paying got good glass then putting a rubbish filter on it.

I don't discriminate on lenses...just like I am colour blind when it comes to people. I'm an American when I am here in the US and an Australian when I am in Oz. Each of my lenses deserves a bit of tender loving care no matter if it was bought cheap or not...it is my first second hand lens and I like it so far so it deserves a lens or two just like my other lenses.

Cheers.

I don't discriminate on lenses...just like I am colour blind when it comes to people. I'm an American when I am here in the US and an Australian when I am in Oz. Each of my lenses deserves a bit of tender loving care no matter if it was bought cheap or not...it is my first second hand lens and I like it so far so it deserves a lens or two just like my other lenses.

Cheers.

Agree.

I would definitely use a polarizing filter if you will be sailing to places like the Caribbean, French Polynesia, etc. I didn't bring one to the Med (forgot to pack it) and didn't miss it. I would have been hosed in FP without it.

I use Nikon and the only time they wouldn't work on my gear was an older D70s with over 200,000 actuations. The repair cost was substantially higher than the cost to by a new prosumer level body with more features and significantly better image quality. Frankly, they were correct.

It will be our first experience in going for a cruise vacation, just to be different. This means I have some genre experience in shoots but this will be my first cruise where I will be bringing my camera. Any suggestion as to what I have forgotten in my soon-to-be-packing or what should I leave out? I will appreciate any response/s I might receive. Aussie Trekker.

Trekker2016: I will surely bring my tripod even if I won't use it on the ship...perhaps on port days?

Appreciate the many interesting discussions' date=' insights and comments[/b'] on this thread. Great that Izzie has had lots of success with Nikon. I just upgraded to their D7200 from my previous D7100. Wasn't totally my choice to move up to the newer model, but that "shift" was helped by insurance as my camera earlier this year got water damaged while in Africa at the misty Victoria Falls.

For Izzie, it was asked early, but I don't remember the response as to where your cruise will be. What ports and locations will you be visiting? That can significantly impact your camera and lens needs! On tripods, I have thought and hoped that I might do something with that piece of equipment on a number of different cruises. BUT, time after time, it never gets used. Sorry!! Ask yourself hard and fast as to whether you really to pack this item and/or too much "stuff". Most of us on cruises take too, too much!!

For cruises, my experiences, including for doing about 8,000 pictures during an Australia-New Zealand adventure as detailed on my live/blog below, mobility and being ready to capture, QUICKLY, the many options would be the highest, top priority. You are on vacation, with other people, etc. Trying to do too much "fancy' and involved camera set-ups sounds nice "in theory". BUT, being "practical" should be your top priority on this first cruising experience. There are lots and lots of nice photo opportunities on the ship and for shore exploring. You need to be ready to capture things quickly in an easy, simple manner. Too much equipment can slow you down and cause you to miss some great visual opportunities. Don't lose those great sights because you are too distracted fiddling with your equipment and gear!! Have you heard of the KISS principle? Keep It Simple, Stupid!!??

Good luck on your journey!! Keep up the great sharing and questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 153,706 views for this posting.

A wet bag is an imperative if you will be taking the camera anyplace where it could get wet. I used one extensively in French Polynesia. Mine came from Bass Pro Shops, I think I paid $15 for a bag big enough to hold a D300 with a grip and a 28/200 zoom.

I have never taken a tripod or monopod anywhere and have gotten great shots without.

I would definitely use a polarizing filter if you will be sailing to places like the Caribbean, French Polynesia, etc. I didn't bring one to the Med (forgot to pack it) and didn't miss it. I would have been hosed in FP without it.

I use Nikon and the only time they wouldn't work on my gear was an older D70s with over 200,000 actuations. The repair cost was substantially higher than the cost to by a new prosumer level body with more features and significantly better image quality. Frankly, they were correct.

I just bought a CPL with haze reduction and a variable ND last night. Now I am poor again. Gotta do some paying jobs for my pocket money for the cruise. :D

My o my! 200K actuations!!! I got rid of my camera way before it reached that number! I used to have a D800e that I did not like so it stayed in my studio across my den until the D810 came out. This D810 is the first one I had trouble with recently. I fried the circuit board doing some live focus stacking. Three weeks and $250 later, I got my camera back with a new circuit board, well cleaned, auto focus readjusted and firmware upgraded...6 months warranty on the repair. First time and first Nikon to be sent to repair. I was told later on by a friend that Nikons heat up if you use live view too long. My second body is a D300s which I love very much.

Appreciate the many interesting discussions, insights and comments on this thread. Great that Izzie has had lots of success with Nikon. I just upgraded to their D7200 from my previous D7100. Wasn't totally my choice to move up to the newer model, but that "shift" was helped by insurance as my camera earlier this year got water damaged while in Africa at the misty Victoria Falls.

For Izzie, it was asked early, but I don't remember the response as to where your cruise will be. What ports and locations will you be visiting? That can significantly impact your camera and lens needs!

I thought I answered that one. We will on a 6-night Carnival Conquest cruise visiting, Amber Cove, Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay. I am taking hubby away from his hobby (airplanes) so he might not enjoy it. Anything longer might make his tear his hair out or whatever is left of it...:D If he likes it, then I am in for a good time and we might repeat it again...hope, hope, :rolleyes:hope...

On tripods, I have thought and hoped that I might do something with that piece of equipment on a number of different cruises. BUT, time after time, it never gets used. Sorry!! Ask yourself hard and fast as to whether you really to pack this item and/or too much "stuff". Most of us on cruises take too, too much!!

I have thought about this long and hard recently and I think I am going to leave the biggie one. But then, I can use it on port...if I bring my heavy wildlife lens. But then I decided to leave it and am thinking of just doing handheld because I planned to bring shorter lens. There are a lot of things I can take shots of with shorter lens. 12-24mm, 24-135mm, 105mm and 70-300mm will do. I can use a Joe McNally stance to prevent shaky shots.

For cruises, my experiences, including for doing about 8,000 pictures during an Australia-New Zealand adventure as detailed on my live/blog below, mobility and being ready to capture, QUICKLY, the many options would be the highest, top priority. You are on vacation, with other people, etc. Trying to do too much "fancy' and involved camera set-ups sounds nice "in theory". BUT, being "practical" should be your top priority on this first cruising experience. There are lots and lots of nice photo opportunities on the ship and for shore exploring. You need to be ready to capture things quickly in an easy, simple manner. Too much equipment can slow you down and cause you to miss some great visual opportunities. Don't lose those great sights because you are too distracted fiddling with your equipment and gear!! Have you heard of the KISS principle? Keep It Simple, Stupid!!??

Good luck on your journey!! Keep up the great sharing and questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 153,706 views for this posting.

Thank you so much for your tips. I appreciate it very, very much. I was thinking that since this is our 10th wedding anniversary, I have to take care of my hubby too but if he will find someone to talk to, or find something for him to take up his time without me at times then I'd be free to wander and take pictures too. I have not had too many landscape shots lately. Hubby has an eye on them but he claim not to be an expert. Of course not but once in a while I edit his shots especially of the recent floods at Maryland Heights where his hangar is located, he was amazed at the story I accompanied it with. His late mother was a very creative person, so she must had rubbed some of it from her. He just need practice so I make some excuses or another to make him take some pictures. I edit them to make them pop out.

Cheers,

Izzie

A wet bag is an imperative if you will be taking the camera anyplace where it could get wet. I used one extensively in French Polynesia. Mine came from Bass Pro Shops, I think I paid $15 for a bag big enough to hold a D300 with a grip and a 28/200 zoom.

I have never taken a tripod or monopod anywhere and have gotten great shots without.

I am buying a Sea to Summit drysack 13 lb and 8lb ones. Plus a lot of gallon ziplocks. We were watching the weather yesterday on tv and it seems that we had chosen the middle of the bad weather to travel on this cruise so I am re-thinking on what I want to pack in my bags and will advise on hubby on what he can bring. We do a lot of air and land traveling but this is our first time to do a sea and land -- and with bad weather too. So we'll see...I can be happy anywhere and willing to trying anything once...who knows? -- we might like it.

Cheers,

Izzie

I just bought a CPL with haze reduction and a variable ND last night. Now I am poor again. Gotta do some paying jobs for my pocket money for the cruise. :D

My o my! 200K actuations!!! I got rid of my camera way before it reached that number! I used to have a D800e that I did not like so it stayed in my studio across my den until the D810 came out. This D810 is the first one I had trouble with recently. I fried the circuit board doing some live focus stacking. Three weeks and $250 later, I got my camera back with a new circuit board, well cleaned, auto focus readjusted and firmware upgraded...6 months warranty on the repair. First time and first Nikon to be sent to repair. I was told later on by a friend that Nikons heat up if you use live view too long. My second body is a D300s which I love very much.

I have a D300 which I have mixed feelings on. I have never felt that the camera responds properly. I can't explain it better than that. I loved my D70s. We were dear friends, and the best photos I have ever taken I took with that relatively inexpensive and noisy camera. Yes, 200K! I have another D70s that began to show signs of fatigue at about 40,000. By then I had a D100 and a D300 as well.

I am now looking to sell it all off and start fresh, even my glass except my 50 mm f/1.8 prime and 80-200 f/2.8 (which was on the D70 as it took most of those 200,000 actuations and is beginning to see the end of it's life--I should send it to Nikon to see if they can fix whatever is rattling inside before it's too late.)

I am no longer doing any professional work, so I will be looking for a higher end prosumer. Just have to take some time to scour Ken Rockwell's reviews and actually get it all done. Last weekend I did start to pack up the gear in the original boxes. Bittersweet.

I have a D300 which I have mixed feelings on. I have never felt that the camera responds properly. I can't explain it better than that. I loved my D70s. We were dear friends, and the best photos I have ever taken I took with that relatively inexpensive and noisy camera. Yes, 200K! I have another D70s that began to show signs of fatigue at about 40,000. By then I had a D100 and a D300 as well.

I am now looking to sell it all off and start fresh, even my glass except my 50 mm f/1.8 prime and 80-200 f/2.8 (which was on the D70 as it took most of those 200,000 actuations and is beginning to see the end of it's life--I should send it to Nikon to see if they can fix whatever is rattling inside before it's too late.)

I am no longer doing any professional work, so I will be looking for a higher end prosumer. Just have to take some time to scour Ken Rockwell's reviews and actually get it all done. Last weekend I did start to pack up the gear in the original boxes. Bittersweet.

Your cameras are well loved. When I had my D90 I thought I had the ants pants. :D It was my first camera after being on the F801 for many years earning me a living supporting those 3 mouths I love very much, now too big for their britches. :rolleyes: Then I bought the D300s. Love that beast so I bought another one because I want to have that 2nd body. I studied one while I use one.

What you are used to and love more is the key. Strewth! -- I am one of those that used to think that if you have a professional camera, you are a good photographer. Then someone taught me how to photograph a flower (magnolia) properly on the same brand, same version of my camera...the D300s -- until one day during that period, I went outside and thought of my composition, twisting and turning and lying down on the grass to take that shot. That was my defining moment with a camera. Everyone loved that shot! My purchase of the two D300s was justified. There is this satisfaction and pride of owning one. Thing was I already have the D800e then the D810. Only then did I realized it wasn't the camera, it was stupid me. :D:D

BTW, I had been reading the articles on your links on what to pack...I have since thrown out some of my stuffs I am bringing to our first cruise and thought of your idea of a sports outfits, two of each, shoes, etc. Now I am down to a carry-on and a handcarry and the empty proposed one luggage my husband want to take...hahaha...When he found out there might not be nothing on it, he'll probably agree to check in another carry-on size luggage to instead...so thanks a lot for that tip...Ms- Pretty-Sexy-Lady...'appreciate it very much.

Cheers,

Izzie