Viking Grand European AMS-BUD Aug 2016 photo journal with pre-cruise Amsterdam

mimmy52

Vienna, August 17

So happy to have a second day in Vienna! There are some optional tours today. One is "A Morning at Café Demel" where you observe and work with their pastry chefs.

Another is an all day excursion, "Imperial Vienna." The description in the daily is "Dance and stroll your way to Vienna's most magnificent imperial residence during a full-day excursion into the city's culture and history." I think a waltz lesson, or demonstration, was included with this tour. And that the magnificent imperial residence was the Belvedere Palace.

In the afternoon there was an optional excursion to Schoenbrunn Palace.

Also, at 10:00, PD Sam would take a group to the subway and show them how to use it.

I hadn't signed up for any of the optional excursions. I'd recently re-read a book I've had since the '70s about the history of the Hapsburgs, and I had my day mapped out.

Dee and El had been on the bus tour of Vienna yesterday, so our plan was to meet in the lobby at 9:00 and head out to Schoenbrunn Palace. They wanted to see the zoo at Schoenbrunn, the oldest zoo in Europe, and I was going to tour the palace. It's very easy to take the U-Bahn to Schoenbrunn, get on line 1 and transfer to line 4, the green line, at Schwedenplatz (or Karlsplatz, either one). The direction was Schoenbrunn which was the end of the line this summer. Stations after that were closed because of work being done.

After exiting the Schoenbrunn station, you cross the street and follow everyone else to the entrance.

Schoenbrunn Palace

DSC04455_zps9vrbtvsf.jpg

Looking back at the entrance to the palace grounds

DSC04462_zps5yzrntz4.jpg

Another wing of the palace

DSC04458_zpsaihfjv55.jpg

DSC04459_zps6sfdtlba.jpg

This looks as though it would be the entrance to the palace but it isn't. I suppose when it was the summer residence of the Hapsburgs it was.

DSC04461_zpsdzrad75t.jpg

The entrance is on the left side. Entrance to the Children's Museum is on the right side.

DSC04463_zpsvd53ylt4.jpg

Schoenbrunn Palace is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, but again no photos allowed in the imperial apartments. Since I have the Sisi ticket I purchased online, I didn't need to stand in line for tickets, although again the line was minimal. Included with your ticket is either an audio guide or a booklet. The rooms are authentically furnished and there are even table settings in the dining rooms. The ticket I had, allowed me to see 40 furnished rooms. Scoenbrunn wasn't as crowded as Hofburg had been yesterday, and it wasn't until the last few rooms that I started running into tour groups. Maybe afternoon is a busier time than morning.

I took my time viewing the rooms and when I finished it was time for lunch. Dee, El and I originally had talked about meeting up for lunch, but then we decided since we're going different places this afternoon (they want to shop) and we didn't know how long we'd take at our respective Schoenbrunn venues, we wouldn't try to get back together.

I had lunch at the Café Residenz which is right near the palace entrance

DSC04464_zpsjauss76t.jpg

I entered from the outdoor seating area and found a vacant table

DSC04465_zps8bgybafz.jpg

There's another entrance from the front courtyard

DSC04485_zps44dts9xo.jpg

Tuna, salad, and wine, although it took a while for the wine to show up. That had to come from inside, unless you order a beer, then the outside waiter can bring it.

DSC04466_zpsh5hbsehq.jpg

DSC04467_zpslwa1uqvp.jpg

There are many other things to see at Schoenbrunn: various gardens, a labyrinth, a maze, the zoo, the Gloriette, etc. I took a stroll behind the palace for a short walk through the free gardens.

The back of the palace

DSC04472copy_zpstzazyoms.jpg

One more of the garden

DSC04483_zpsi3ytmnqb.jpg

Then back to the U-Bahn station to the Karlsplatz stop. This afternoon I toured the Imperial Treasury which had been closed yesterday (Tuesday).

Back at Albertinaplatz

DSC04491_zpscce2cetk.jpg

A shop passed on the way to Hofburg Palace

DSC04495_zpsgh6frvzl.jpg

DSC04498_zpsvnumk1av.jpg

Once in the courtyard, follow the sign to the Imperial Treasury (Schatzkammer). Someone seems to be pointing the way.

DSC04502_zpssanypr1o.jpg

DSC04504_zpsbzumtti7.jpg

I'm very glad photos are allowed in the Imperial Treasury. I'm not that good a photographer, but I enjoy taking pictures and they give me a visual reminder of what I've seen. Postcards just aren't the same. It was dark in the treasury museum, so a lot of my photos aren't worth showing, still I'm happy to have them.

There were exhibits of royal uniforms for various occasions

DSC04511_zps3uq8jvz6.jpg

Napoleon slept here. Actually, Napoleon II, Bonaparte's son by his second, Austrian, wife.

DSC04524_zpskfac6vho.jpg

The crown of the Holy Roman Emperor, what I most wanted to see in this museum. Made c. 962 and the cross in 1020. The jewels are so large they look fake. Although I think I read this is a replica, and if so, they are fake.

DSC04527_zps5w7mhnmg.jpg

DSC04529_zps7mmflhgo.jpg

The "Sabre of Charlemagne."

DSC04538_zpsxtcfzaot.jpg

Some items aroused my skepticism although in the Middle Ages, most probably thought they were what they claimed to be. Among them

Particle of the true cross

DSC04531_zpsulu9pcg0.jpg

Reliquary containing a tooth of St. John the Baptist

DSC04549_zpsblkhh1gk.jpg

Unicorn horn

DSC04544_zpsdz5dhmib.jpg

I was glad I had the opportunity to visit the treasury. It was also nice that it wasn't packed with crowds the way the palaces were. There was enough time to do one more thing before I made my way back to the ship, but it was hot again this afternoon, I now had a blister on each foot (Blister Block doesn't always work), and my cold had me a little achy. I'll just have to visit Vienna again some other time.

Walking back to Karlsplatz station, stairs to the Albertina

DSC04554_zps7c0rom7l.jpg

After a short nap onboard, I went up to the sun deck to watch the 5:45 sail away.

DSC04566_zpsauxzo2wt.jpg

The Donauturm, the tallest free-standing structure in Vienna.

DSC04567_zpsck8pfbiy.jpg

Second tallest is the wavy building, which I see is called the DC Tower

DSC04571_zpsixisfr0b.jpg

Taken from the Aquavit Terrace. I could hear instructions from a microphone on the top deck saying, "Sit down!"

DSC04573_zpswqdjjc7b.jpg

After we went under that bridge, I went up on the sun deck. When the next bridge came and the instruction was again to sit down, I sat. At the bottom of the photo you can see two ladies. They came up the stairs just as the ship was nearing the bridge and they were told, almost frantically, to "Sit Down!" They went down a few steps.

DSC04577_zpscdwx4xtw.jpg

The person attached to the hand was sitting down.

DSC04583_zpsjwoohpz1.jpg

A look back

DSC04581_zpslsi5uciq.jpg

DSC04584_zps8h5pmrcx.jpg

I enjoyed the sail away so much, I almost forgot about our 6:00 disembarkation briefing. I was probably the last person there and I squeezed in with Dee and El and we were back in the a corner near the entrance since they hadn't arrived early either. During the briefing, we were in a lock and it was fascinating to watch how cargo containers were being lifted and moved. I was taking the pictures through glass and my photos of a container being clutched by this arm were blurred.

DSC04587_zpsrmgeu935.jpg

Edited by mimmy52

The Captain's farewell cocktail party followed the briefing. Waiters passed around your choice of mimosa, kir royale, or champagne. There were also hors doeuvres but they never made it back as far as our group.

DSC04589_zpscgrt39uf.jpg

Following the cocktail party, our daily briefing began at 7:00. Dinner followed at 7:15. Although our menu said Farewell Dinner, they decided to call it the Captain's dinner celebration since this wasn't our last night. There was no ordering from an "always available" tonight.

DSC04557_zpsokazsfxc.jpg

DSC04558_zpsqcn2mvnp.jpg

Salmon Tartar

DSC04595_zpsqpymcjyi.jpg

Pumpkin Mousse Ravioli, mine without lamb loin

DSC04596_zps0qafp5gc.jpg

Sauteed Prawns & Saffron Beurre Blanc

DSC04597_zpsqv3ujalz.jpg

Edited by mimmy52

During dinner we started discussing the staterooms, and when we asked a question about the Explorer Suite, which the couple at our table had, he called the waiter over, told him to fill up our wine glasses, and told us to follow him and they'd give us a tour. Needless to say, it was lovely. The bedroom had a big bed that took up much of the space, but the bathroom and sitting area were roomy. The best was their balcony on the back and side of the ship.

We were given our preliminary statements tonight. I was surprised to see my travel agent had given us a $200 onboard credit. Neither my cousin nor I remember the agent saying anything about it, and I looked at our travel documents from her and don’t see anything there either. Deducted from my credit was the excursion last night to the concert and a few sodas and wine I ordered at non-meal times. I still had money to spend!

Entertainment this evening was a team quiz about song lyrics followed by a sing along. I'm sure it was fun, but one of the joys I had on the cruise was going up to the top deck at night. I was there as the ship passed through Bratislava.

The castle

DSC04608_zpss4mgk0l1.jpg

DSC04617_zpsox49mjhs.jpg

DSC04624_zpsbec7bdls.jpg

DSC04632_zpsyjselgma.jpg

Then off to bed to hopefully get a good night's sleep before Budapest tomorrow.

Edited by mimmy52

kathy9, there were vegetarian options on every night except the Captain's farewell dinner and the Taste of Austria. There were enough non-meat items on the Taste of Austria night, although none that would be considered an entrée, but the only non-meat choice available at the farewell dinner was prawns. I'm considered a pescetarian now, rather than a vegetarian. If you're a strict vegetarian, I suggest you let Viking know beforehand. They go out of their way to make you happy.

JP, I'm a white wine drinker and I thought the Gruner was excellent. They served it several times. I didn't note the wine every night, but at other times there was an Enrique Vollmer Sauvignon Blanc, Horst Sauer Silvaner (Franconian), Dr. Loosen Pfalz Riesling, and Ohlig Riesling. Don't remember which one, but one of the Rieslings was too sweet for my liking.

We arrived in Budapest around 8:00 in the morning and there were quite a few of us on the top deck watching.

DSC04647_zpsqyknllua.jpg

Margaret Bridge

DSC04651_zpsjyvuqkdm.jpg

Parliament

DSC04655_zpsxjzsujnn.jpg

Fisherman's Bastion and St. Mathias Church in the background. I don't know what church is in the foreground.

DSC04665_zpsyljdm3bf.jpg

Chain Bridge and Buda Palace

DSC04670_zpsuhw9cp7o.jpg

Our included excursion started with a bus tour of Pest. Our guide said the difference is Buda is hilly and Pest is flat and a way to remember is to think of Pest--flat as Pancake, both starting with P. Budapest is pronounced Budapesht since in Hungarian a single “s” has the sh sound. "Sz" is pronounced as we would a single s. I don't know the name of every building we passed, but I took photos of those I thought interesting.

DSC04673_zpsonr9df4z.jpg

The Jewish Synagogue. Since we were limited to photos from the bus, I could only capture bits of it, but it was a beautiful building.

DSC04740_zpslgq6pmgf.jpg

DSC04739_zpsbjfnlzrg.jpg

We have crossed a bridge and we are now in Buda. Still on the bus.

DSC04756_zps1tde6qjt.jpg

The bus dropped us off and a walking tour started. We followed our guide up a street lined with shops.

Holy Trinity Column commemorates plague victims

DSC04762_zpsyjslkfzq.jpg

Mathias Church

DSC04763_zps4oyqqmrd.jpg

Mathias Church on the left, Fisherman's Bastion ahead

DSC04766_zpsv1uydko2.jpg

Mathias Church detail

DSC04774_zpsnmcg6h1h.jpg

This bird with a ring sits on one of the smaller church steeples. A Turul bird perhaps, symbol of the Hungarian Nation. Or a thieving crow?

DSC04775_zpsdiqteii2.jpg

The bird is top right in this view of Mathias Church. The brown tower seems to be an afterthought.

DSC04782_zpslbwz8mhb.jpg

DSC04783_zpsbayretoh.jpg

We were given tickets to enter the church

DSC04786_zps2kwyl4ou.jpg

DSC04788_zpsoc6kpsul.jpg

Edited by mimmy52

After Mathias Church we had free time. I walked around the Fisherman's Bastion area for a while.

Statue of Stephen I

DSC04781_zpssamj3vqa.jpg

DSC04813_zps1ait8nyn.jpg

I snapped this photo in the area by the public restrooms, near where you pay to enter Fisherman's Bastion.

DSC04816_zpsznnhmd1w.jpg

This from an area on Fisherman's Bastion that is free.

DSC04825_zps0qo5ceq9.jpg

DSC04826_zps26w9gptx.jpg

The view from the free area of Fisherman's Bastion with Parliament across the river.

DSC04828_zpsjue9xvbw.jpg

DSC04831_zpspccnd7vv.jpg

DSC04834_zpsx5apyrx7.jpg

Another view of Parliament from Fisherman's Bastion. Budapest had never been on my radar as a place to visit until I saw a segment of The Amazing Race filmed in Budapest at night. Parliament and other buildings looked so fantastic.

DSC04844_zpsrkrp1lkr.jpg

With more time, I probably would have paid to get to the higher level of Fisherman's Bastion, although I'm not sure the difference in view would be worth it.

DSC04853_zpssftbqz4d.jpg

I walked over to the Buda castle area. There was some kind of festival in progress, and it cost to get onto the castle grounds. With limited time, I decided to walk around where I could without paying, although even then I ran out of time and had to return to meet the bus.

Some interesting vendor booths were outside the castle grounds.

DSC04863_zpsxwp64qdk.jpg

DSC04864_zps0jxtk1li.jpg

DSC04865_zpsmofwwoto.jpg

DSC04866_zpsn2enfi78.jpg

DSC04869_zpsaqubw0t0.jpg

Wing of Buda Castle that houses the Hungarian National Gallery.

DSC04870_zpspv4qdmb8.jpg

DSC04871_zps8xvjgg4l.jpg

This is as close as I got to the Turul bird statue. I can't remember if I wasn't able to get closer or if I didn't have enough time.

DSC04873_zpsqxz64hbj.jpg