Viking Grand European AMS-BUD Aug 2016 photo journal with pre-cruise Amsterdam

mimmy52

Viking ran shuttles into Krems for those who were interested in seeing it. Shuttle bus services from the ship to Krems' city center were at 4:15, 4:30 and 4:45 and return services at 5:00, 5:15, 5:30, 6:00 and 6:30. I went on the 4:15 shuttle with a good sized group.

Arriving in Krems

DSC04108_zpsqjjnzkk5.jpg

DSC04110_zpsxpb4mqi5.jpg

It would have been a good place for shopping since the main street was lined with stores, but it was still a bank holiday so none were open unless you wanted ice cream or coffee. Yet I found a couple of things I would have bought. I hadn't realized we would be able to see Krems, and I didn't do any research on what interesting sites might be there, so I just walked from one end of the street to where the shops mostly ended.

DSC04111_zpskgfrrrcq.jpg

DSC04115_zpssgpvex4h.jpg

DSC04117_zps61rjqktx.jpg

In one of the shop windows:

DSC04123_zpsjar2kbwy.jpg

Forgot to mention that there was another optional tour this afternoon from 4:15-6:15 called "Wachau Valley Winery Tour and Wine Tasting."

At the daily briefing tonight, Sam said for tomorrow's included tour, you can take a bus into the city or you can go with a group on the subway. Those wanting to go on the subway had to sign up, so I did.

Tonight's dinner is special, called A Taste of Austria, featuring local Austrian favorites. The menu:

DSC03992_zpszbrzduxf.jpg

The staff were dressed in traditional Austrian clothing

DSC04159_zpszrirx9io.jpg

Tables were set with pretzels in the center, a platter of cold cuts, a platter of cheeses, a platter of vegetables, and one of bread.

DSC04160_zpsivii8gzz.jpg

On the buffet was a pig, dumplings, beef, salads, more cheeses and meat platters.

DSC04164_zpsqbulmbqq.jpg

DSC04165_zpsa3xi2j5f.jpg

We had entertainment.

DSC04171_zpse2bj8uir.jpg

Program Director Sam

DSC04205_zpsgain0goq.jpg

We were invited to tour the kitchen, and a few tables at a time were called. It was really interesting to see how efficiently they used the space. Chef Johnny talked a little about food preparation and answered questions.

DSC04177_zpsemo04w9i.jpg

DSC04178_zpstjqtrj2t.jpg

DSC04180_zpst9esza7u.jpg

DSC04188_zpsgdziditc.jpg

At 9:00 in the lounge, Sam had a presentation about the life of Mozart. I don't even remember attending this, but my journal says I did and that's when I took the photo of Sam in traditional garb. My journal also says about halfway through the talk we all were given shots of a chocolatey flavored liquor and it was delicious. I will blame this lack of memory for the event on that liquor.

This had been a busy day. One last stroll around the upper deck and then it was time for bed.

DSC04192_zpsmni98i6w.jpg

Edited by mimmy52

Vienna, August 16

It's another gorgeous weather day, but I woke up with a cold and felt a little draggy. Rats. I am thrilled, though, that we have two full days in Vienna. In previous years, one of the last days was in Bratislava, but I'm happy for two in Vienna.

There were two types of tours into Vienna today. Most opted for the Vienna City Tour that first drove around the Ringstrasse and some of the sights before dropping them off. Since I didn't take that tour, I don't know if they also had a walking tour or whether once they got off the bus it was free time. Since there was a gentle walkers group again, I think there a walking tour was included.

Seven of us opted for "Vienna City Tour Up-Close," and we took the subway (U-Bahn). There were maps for the U-Bahn at the registration desk for all who wanted one. Our small group met right outside the boat and Claudia walked us along the river to where there's a bridge that crosses the Danube and in the other direction an overpass over the highway which is the way we go. Two Viking ships are moored at what seems to be one of the farthest piers since we had to walk past four other longships to get to the bridge.

Claudia was born and lives in Austria. She took time to point out landmarks to look for on our way back. We walked up stairs and crossed the highway and were on a walking path that became a walking/bike path. We walked the equivalent of maybe four or five blocks to Mexicoplatz and straight ahead was the subway station. Claudia said what you have to know when taking the U-Bahn is what number you want, the station where you get on the subway, what direction you're going, and at what stop you'll get off. In this case we want U-Bahn 1 (shown in red on the U-Bahn map), getting on at Vorgartenstrasse, heading to Reumannplatz, and getting off at Karlsplatz. The stations are marked with signs that have a white U on a blue background. She showed up how to purchase and validate a ticket, then said, "Easy, peasy, Viennesy."

I'm including a link to jpalbny's trip report from April 2016 in which he included a map from the docking area to the Vorgartenstrasse station. The map is on page 6, post #102.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2339007

Coming out of the Karlsplatz station, we were at the Opera House.

DSC04209copy_zpszpyeen5i.jpg

DSC04210_zpsd2wyrokk.jpg

One of the men in our group asked if we would have a potty break at some point. Claudia was stumped. She had no idea what he meant until I told her he meant toilet. And yes, we would have one. Near the Hofburg Palace is a Starbucks.

We started our walking tour.

DSC04212_zpsanejzfev.jpg

Near Albertinaplatz is the statue of Franz Josef I.

DSC04214_zpswk5dsyea.jpg

Detail on the Riunione Adriatica di Sicurta building

DSC04216_zps2yvqnqi5.jpg

The war memorial on Albertinaplatz, the Monument Against War and Fascism, in memory of the years when Austria was under **** rule.

DSC04217_zpsrtrpqyyd.jpg

Edited by mimmy52

Shoot, I forgot that four-letter N word gets censored, which doesn't make sense to me. This hunched-over figure on the ground is a Jew forced to scrub anti-four-letter-N-word graffiti off a street with a toothbrush, part of the memorial.

DSC04226_zpsphegqgef.jpg

We continued on our walking tour and I had to take this picture because...a banana?

DSC04229_zpsxxi0xlkp.jpg

The National Library

DSC04231_zps3rggpk2d.jpg

DSC04232_zpsn5olhxhd.jpg

DSC04233_zpszbtzx8ts.jpg

The Spanish Riding School

DSC04237copy_zpsviuqeazt.jpg

Palais Pallavicini

DSC04241_zpspbmbluja.jpg

DSC04243_zpswhxcpi2q.jpg

Stables of the Spanish Riding School

DSC04246_zpsrn4mmbfn.jpg

They were taking some of the Lipizzaner stallions across the street to the riding ring

DSC04249_zpsuyefcafi.jpg

One of the stallions in his stall

DSC04245_zpsgcgavmcb.jpg

The Hofburg Palace

DSC04252_zpsbgkqlxbl.jpg

Detail of the Hofburg Palace.

DSC04254_zpszoz4km3u.jpg

It looks rather like enter at your own peril.

DSC04256copy_zpsbuzrobcn.jpg

DSC04257copy_zpszgtkvsos.jpg

DSC04263_zpsactqqyzb.jpg

Continuing our walking tour. I don't know what building this is.

DSC04266_zpsiu2gnh64.jpg

Claudia recommended this place for a cheap lunch, the Black Camel, although when I was ready for lunch, I couldn't remember where it was.

DSC04270_zpsnsp3ojzy.jpg

Claudia led us next to Judenplatz. The memorial there, a tribute to all Austrian Jews who died in the holocaust, is an inside-out library, a concrete cube where the spines of all the books are turned away from the viewer.

DSC04273_zpsklyk52fs.jpg

She said there are different opinions about the meaning, possibly that whenever a person dies, a library dies with them (all the books they've read).

DSC04277_zpsjeqwm8of.jpg

Claudia said that growing up in Austria, she knew nothing about the horrors of the holocaust. It wasn't until she went away to college that she learned about it.

We continued walking. The buildings in Vienna are remarkable.

DSC04278_zpsk7qdcrix.jpg

DSC04283_zpsuuxlzqsv.jpg

DSC04281_zps4ukdcufb.jpg

Our tour ended at St. Stephen's Cathedral. Stephansplatz will be the meeting point for those who wish to return on the subway with Claudia or, if you prefer, on one of the busses since that is also the meeting point for those who took the bus tour.

DSC04290_zpscfdm9lds.jpg

Edited by mimmy52

I never did get a really good photo of the cathedral, but the roof is beautiful.

DSC04291_zpshvghgmbw.jpg

After I left Claudia, I went inside St. Stephen's but just briefly. I have a blister on my foot that is slowing me down.

DSC04298_zps6mxv55yy.jpg

I wanted to visit the Kaisergruft, the imperial burial chamber. Claudia pointed out the direction, and I walked part of the way with a couple in our group who were going to the Opera House.

Along the way, this shop had a Marilyn Monroe display/tribute although the photo doesn't do it justice.

DSC04306_zpsrui9nal9.jpg

I knew I'd have to turn up a side street to get to the Kaisergruft, but the streets seemed to have different names than those on the Rick Steves map I had with me. I decided to turn up a street that looked like a dead end at a place they were renovating. That place turned out to be the Kaisergruft.

DSC04308_zps6extnzvy.jpg

The entrance is one the right side of the chapel.

DSC04315_zpsy3jjgs0a.jpg

I paid my 5.50 euro and went downstairs to where former Emperors and Empresses are entombed. Maybe I'm a morbid person, but I enjoy seeing these old tombs. I like old cemeteries too.

DSC04316_zpsnvhmehkh.jpg

The most interesting tomb is that of Empress Maria Theresa and her husband. They are depicted sitting up in bed gazing at each other.

DSC04358_zpsnperi7sz.jpg

DSC04359_zpsrl82n14h.jpg

DSC04354_zpsvvzcvzcv.jpg

The tomb of Franz Joseph. His wife Elizabeth (Sisi), who was assassinated, is on one side, and their son Rudoph (he of the tragic suicide at Mayerling) is on the other.

DSC04378_zpsmzvwqg7e.jpg

After that, time for lunch. I didn't want to be walking aimlessly looking for the Black Camel so I went back toward the Hofburg Palace. Passed this fountain on the way.

DSC04379_zpssjvr2uvi.jpg

Across the street from the Palace was my second choice, Café Griensteidl.

DSC04380_zpstoif2oyw.jpg

I sat at an outside table that had a horsey smell since in front of the Hofburg is where all the horse carriages gather. The waiter came quickly and the meal came quickly but that might be because at noon it was too early for a lot of people to be ready for lunch. Later I walked by and the outside at least was full.

DSC04385_zpsrq6xsla2.jpg

I ordered from the vegetarian section of the menu, Gerostete Knodel mit ei und Gemischtem Blattsalat (roast bread dumplings with eggs and butter). The portion that came to me was huge. With a Coke Light, cost 13.50 euros.

DSC04383_zpsug4xt4dl.jpg

Right across the street, the reason for the horsey smell.

DSC04387_zpsunomgqtt.jpg

On the plaza facing the Hofburg Palace is St. Michael's Church.

DSC04388_zpswcp0i4rq.jpg

My plan was to visit the Imperial Apartments and the Sisi Museum, so I found the entrance right inside the main Palace entrance. I'd bought a combination ticket with Schonbrunn Palace online, so I was able to bypass the ticket line, although it wasn't long. An audio guide is included in the price.

DSC04415_zps61anojkp.jpg

I bypassed the Silver Museum. Between my foot blister and my cold, I was wearing out. Up the staircase, then my ticket was scanned.

DSC04392_zpsnmr4kepq.jpg

Talk about a crush of people! There were many interesting objects from Sisi's life, but there were so many people, it was difficult to see them. There were a lot of guided tour groups too, and when you're not in one, you realize how annoying they can be. Everyone would group around their tour guide, and you had to practically bulldoze your way through them to get from room to room.

No photos allowed in either the Sisi Museum or the Imperial Apartments. It was interesting seeing the contrast between the way Franz Joseph lived in his apartments, very Spartan (considering it's a palace) and Sisi's devotion to her beauty. There's even some exercise equipment she used to keep her figure in shape.

Walking around the courtyard after seeing the apartments.

DSC04407_zpsdprciwcr.jpg

DSC04408_zpsheisrogb.jpg

DSC04410_zpsbddssujt.jpg

DSC04412_zps7koe3yzn.jpg

The last thing I had planned today was seeing the Plague Column. It's being refurbished too.

DSC04421_zpsp3z6lcjg.jpg

DSC04423_zpszowymuk4.jpg

The shopping street where the Plague Column is.

DSC04425_zpsxj0rg0ul.jpg

DSC04430_zpsf89zh4pv.jpg

That was it for the day. I walked back to the Karlsplatz station, although in retrospect, there was probably a U-Bahn station closer to the plague column. But on the way, I passed the Sacher Hotel and saw a line of people waiting their turn to enter the Café Sacher.

DSC04433_zpsuatqjy5l.jpg

At the Karlsplatz U-Bahn station, you can do your necessary business while listening to opera. The fee is a little higher than the usual 50 cent public toilets. I think it was 70 cents.

DSC04436_zpshm9epgw7.jpg

When you come up from the U-Bahn station at the Vorgartenstrasse stop, you just keep walking straight ahead past a few shops to get to the path that takes you to the river. Here's the path, nearing the highway overpass.

DSC04438_zpsq9gls5pb.jpg

And one of the landmarks to look for, the Mexico Church (St. Francis of Assisi).

DSC04440_zpspzlhmlyu.jpg

Another landmark that is across the Danube from where the ships are docked. Claudia referred to it as the wavy building. She probably also told us its real name, but I don't remember.

DSC04442_zpsr6t237pt.jpg

Hammocks and exercise equipment are at the foot of the stairs. I suppose after you use the exercise equipment, you're ready for a rest in a hammock.

DSC04443_zps7rilohcr.jpg

I had time before dinner, so I took a quick nap and felt refreshed when I woke up. The ship was quiet. There had been two optional afternoon excursions, both departing the ship at 1:45. One was a Klimt Painting Workshop where you visited a famous museum and then created your own work of "Viennese Gold." The other was a trip with Sous Chef Marc and Concierge Nina to a local market.

There were two seatings for dinner tonight (and two daily briefings) because there's an optional excursion to a Strauss/Mozart concert. Dee and El were going, so I had signed up a few days ago. Our briefing was at 5:45, with dinner at 6:00. The other was 7:15 for the briefing and 7:30 for dinner.

Chef's recommendation for dinner was Zwiebelrostbraten with crisp onions. I have no idea what I had since I forgot to write it down or take a photo. The dessert pictured is Black Forest Pocket.

DSC04449_zpsgb6x3jbs.jpg

Our bus left for the concert at 7:30. The performance took place in one of the wings of the Hofburg Palace. I think the room was the grand Redoutensaal. There were 99 of us from the Vili, and we were not the only tour group there.

DSC04454_zpslxtgfe0j.jpg

Here we are, right near the front.

DSC04452_zps8imuh5lp.jpg

Once the program started we were not allowed to take pictures, but this is the stage.

DSC04453_zpsturpoctt.jpg

The program began at 8:30, the Hofburg Orchestra and four opera singers. The conductor was young and good looking and was wearing the clothes of a bigger man. They took three encores. There was no intermission, and it ended at 10:00.

It was drizzling when we walked out but we made it to the busses before the downfall started. We rode back to the ship seeing Vienna lit at night, except with the rain and the reflections from lights inside the bus, not so much of a view. But the concert was enjoyable and the rain wasn't too heavy when we arrived back at the ship. It was a nice evening, and I'm glad I went to the concert.

Continuing our walking tour. I don't know what building this is.

DSC04266_zpsiu2gnh64.jpg

Julius Meinl, a purveyor of gourmet foods. And a wine bar. How did I miss it the first two times? This store is perfect for us! :o

http://www.meinlamgraben.at/

It's now on my list...

Loving the rest of your pictures! And sorry about your blister. One of the hazards of big cities like Vienna, with too many things to see. Feel better soon!

Edited by jpalbny

I had previously been to Vienna twice staying in hotels on the Ringstrasse. Vienna has so many interesting venues. Since we had previously seen the places on the included tour, we went out on our own. Our destination was the Belvedere Palace. With the help of some locals we took public transportation. At the Belvedere, we were amazed at the buildings and gardens. The place is huge. The museum has a fabulous array of paintings and furnishings. The highlight was the Klimt room. We ate lunch at the Belvedere. It was absolutely exquisite. Our table overlooked the gardens. Wished we had more time in Vienna. Took the tram transferred to the Uban going back to the ship. Vienna waits for more exploration. Enjoyed being there again.

Enjoying your comments and photos.

jpalbny, I was going to ask you how you found out the info about Julius Meinl, but when I looked at the photo again, I see the name was there all along. Sounds like a nice place to have lunch. Hope I get back to Vienna again because there's so much to see.

redtravel, how does the Belvedere Palace compare with Schoenbrunn? If you could pick only one to see, which would it be?

jpalbny, I was going to ask you how you found out the info about Julius Meinl, but when I looked at the photo again, I see the name was there all along. Sounds like a nice place to have lunch. Hope I get back to Vienna again because there's so much to see.

Actually, it looked familiar. We walked by it a few times looking for something else.

So I thought that it was a block or two down from the Hofburg, based on the prior picture, which was a giveaway to the exact street you were walking on. I then googled the Black Camel to confirm its location. Now I knew that the building was between those two spots.

Based on that info, I found the Meinl building on Google Street view pretty quickly. It's impossible to miss.

I couldn't read the name Meinl well enough from your picture to use it as my search term (which would have been easier), but once I saw the name in Google maps, I confirmed it on the awning.

Btw, it's right around the corner from the Black Camel...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Edited by jpalbny