Viking Grand European AMS-BUD Aug 2016 photo journal with pre-cruise Amsterdam

mimmy52

Once we arrived at the Rose Garden, we had free time, so after admiring the view and the roses for a while, we walked back to the shops. Our guide had recommended Schlenkerla Smokebeer Brewery if we wanted to try the smoke beer. When Mark was giving his talk, he also mentioned that the people of Franconia can be grumpy. Bamberg is actually in Bavaria, but it was a region of Franconia for a long time and the people still consider themselves Franconian. My heritage is half German and I decided to check the genealogy I have to see if my ancestors came from Franconia. I can be grumpy. At any rate, we found Schlenkerla easily since we'd passed it earlier. It's the building with the flowers and green shutters.

DSC02982_zpsabyz8tze.jpg

Dee, El, a couple I'll call Tod and Kate, and I walked in and wove our way through tables looking for a spot. We started toward an empty table and the waitress yelled, "RESERVED!" So we found a different table.

DSC02989_zpscaeh1in9.jpg

The waitress came right over to take our order. Tod pointed to Kate and told the waitress they wanted to share a beer. She looked at him in astonishment, as if he had two heads. "You want to share one beer?" He said yes. Well, Dee, El and I had talked about the possibility of sharing one beer since we weren't sure we'd like it, but after that look from the waitress, we wouldn't have dared. We ordered one beer each. I asked about ordering a pretzel. "OUTSIDE," she shouted. I didn't want one that much. A minute later she was back, slammed a coaster on the table in front of Tod and Kate and yelled, "ONE BEER!" She then proceeded to slam a coaster down in front of Dee, El, and me. "ONE BEER, ONE BEER, ONE BEER!"

DSC02987_zpsyg4bwdlc.jpg

The beers came a few minutes later. The photo is El, me, and Dee

DSC02986_zpsq4rmshed.jpg

The first taste was rather unpleasant, but the taste grew on all of us. It smelled liked BBQ. I kept wondering where the picnic was. I'm glad I tried the beer, but I definitely liked the other beers I'd had in Germany better.

We had time to walk through the town and do some shopping. There's a Kathe Wohlfahrt shop here too, and we did go inside but I don't think any of the three of us bought anything there.

DSC02991_zpsjmbgd9wn.jpg

DSC02993_zpsywssebyg.jpg

DSC02995_zps5bhbnm4j.jpg

I know our guide told us what these lines are for, but I can't remember.

DSC03002_zpsq3kceqaw.jpg

DSC03010_zpst3ilosdm.jpg

DSC03011_zps8jc9jt50.jpg

After shopping, we still had about an hour before we had to be at our meeting place at 6:15, so we stopped at a café. I don't remember the name of it but it was across the street from the former slaughterhouse building. PD Sam, Concierge Nina, and musician Emmanuel were inside.

DSC03015_zpseyzqld1f.jpg

Dee and El had coffee. I had hot chocolate which came in a big cup with whipped cream. El thought it was funny to add to the picture the cake they were going to share.

DSC03016_zpspscog0op.jpg

Today there had also been an optional excursion, leaving at the same time (1:00) as the included tour. The optional excursion was a Franconian Countryside Tour where you could "witness the natural splendor and breathtaking architecture of German Franconia and sample beer from one of its 300 breweries."

Both the included tour and the optional tour got back to the ship, which had now gone through some locks and arrived in Bamberg, about the same time. On the ship, we had only a short time before the 7:00 briefing for tomorrow (time moved back 15 minutes today for the briefing and dinner). These evenings when we would get back late to the ship were often the days that many people wear to dinner whatever they were wearing during the day.

For dinner there were four appetizer offerings. I had goat cheese soufflé which was delicious.

DSC03022_zps2lk3o0em.jpg

The chef's recommendation for the main course was braised lamb shank. I decided to have the any time poached salmon and I asked for a half order.

DSC03023_zpskioceanf.jpg

Herald is usually in the bar and he also helps serve wine at dinner.

DSC03024_zpsyib6aguw.jpg

For dessert, I had something called Bienenstich cake. When I asked Buzz what it was like, he said it was a regional specialty and mentioned almonds, honey and custard. Since then I've read it is also called bee sting cake. It was excellent.

DSC03025_zpsjyiknv5a.jpg

At 9:00 Sam had organized another game, this one called Liar's Club. Members of the Vili crew participated and you had to figure out which of them was telling the truth or "telling porky pies." I think we were rather late leaving the dining room that night, but the next day it sounded as if those who participated had a good time.

Mimmy, thanks for all of the great pictures of Bamberg! Many of the places are familiar to me from our visit there last September. We did not go by River Boat, but by train from Würzburg, where we were spending a few days before picking up our new Audi.

I hope you don't mind me expounding on a few places that appear in your pictures...they bring back some nice memories!

There was a café in the Rose Garden, although we didn't stop there. We were intent on having a famous Bamberg smoky beer.

DSC02967_zps1h3nodbj.jpg

We visited the Rosegarten too, while we were waiting for mass to finish, so that we could visit the Cathedral. Very enjoyable setting! Since it was a little after noon, we did not feel guilty settling down with a nice drink to enjoy the setting even more!

TsHYlIGD8AhK0BtllSwknxqfp5QQ6u_y0FjEIjalNoQIMLJTYzURzVpBtKfJlbozMZtdJUkd--ebFWc_S4qRjCJ5a--THOCN1vPA0T7L5nfuVwfrVQDRxGvnLjUptytBc9bxb8I6vzSudhz_n7H0Vfls2d2lXagK91yNsviVwSdYlGrvr743LNOz7FXluUqaXuIa6CATKBp6PWyiG9KfOL7B3mOj8tDtWpD1az3Uhbs5hFGk_3a2H0lbeKbhDfzhxmjLMvcsASAGi3z0M97OsrighrmZR0fBO9ZL5c9s9T3H5gKotDI7GVJaaRANnyW4x6Vzy6Iz48zSvn-sFSKmx0WKsCj34rjNrCaV53dkaSTTliGFleKDHUPA2cVo4VuI-jnXF6w9-KRAaQGJxtyJPsSNySKYazBfKwgL8pN8YWYV-AZfpkZ-TKNzxY-xftmzhyOR7Cfjec3sBrGoAoSKXGLoYY7jVKuW-2k177IWsrem1yd25rGZYjWw2KEGViOpNX415kwmEMnJYYH0iz-cAwCD6d-Re9cU6gZWhIcRjeMpJ9AeapBvvF6FBmKOgqxvj74HDDc8-fzO67H9kQmGbgeDDrhZ8QVmi3PYr24qDCsNa5RI9g=w800-h450-no

After this, we made the climb to St. Michael's Abbey. The views from there were great, and there are vineyards on the way down.

DSC03010_zpst3ilosdm.jpg

This cafe in your picture (wooden tables with red-checked square cloths in the middle) was where we had lunch. It's called Weinhaus Zeis, and we shared a platter of assorted sausages. I had a Rauchbier (smoked beer) which tasted great with the grilled sausages. Chris had more wine, of course...

xYg8C1MLfev3OoEkNS-jIOQ8eNVdIiA6TxfdQ_-s5XsKF42EuF_j6T8EEYnCPRgSGrwnaR7--li9_kn4vNoAQBU13JW_Fq7riP-WPGSs_IeMTxjfUpHqiCefd6N8djak_LW-v0fk-D3EUF5vKoFo18wbCD5C67VOE1niKyAcr7pljN7O94gCiW3znq8Awxl7AJ3j3wXh0PKwPRYIbDuesw-MGlsjefmuWmV5G2pNtIU2L_LIlF8Ik0ZYFdtAXgWLvciGb8ERDH4tHjMj7S7gyxWC7-624W5NZL8kuBB5jtXCpq8NWonEoMU9AWFUEQrE7KbC3otSzemLaEA0NN_uqUF-SX72Z5Ql4s-iY7wNEE9bam-MMf547y_NyjvI3atR1tp8d8GdbS1crPs8GOVMMIzP7G2hD0b2xtt-naN5h806ueGOLAlRQjXZHAThgulRQiQJb8shy2hzv3OaP3vVq9DrTWdjfHjmRwdGAdcSZQNQ0Gx0TPq3j3MqNC8-I71egj0vSykAIK6ZzZKZzBDWswwvySG2PHBpLwhb9cAc7xPDiRx1fcUzJgGExnRNfvWAkV8ftK0fpDxslh6qN_PMAFf5mGR8fuXZeBKad0YTjMyCUSiINw=w450-h800-no

Thanks for the memories! It is so cool to see that you were right within a few feet of these places where we were last year. Looking forward to your next installment.

Edited by jpalbny

oxypete, I was thinking our guide said they were for kayaks or canoes, but I wasn't certain. I figured some Cruise Critic person with a better memory than I would know.

JP, expound all you want! It adds to my enjoyment to know what other people did in the same place and to know it brings back good memories for you. Plus your pictures are always a welcome addition.

Nuremberg, August 12

The Vili pulled into Nuremberg around 9:00 in the morning. A rainy morning, I might add. We've had such wonderful weather until now, it's almost a shock to see a gray, wet, and chilly day. I took the included excursion, part bus tour part walking tour but those who took the optional excursion, the WWII tour, thought it was fantastic. I wish I could have done both. Every morning when I pick up my boarding pass and tour number, I also take the business card-sized card with the Vili's docking location. If you're going off on your own, you might need a taxi to return and the card will let the driver know where to drop you off.

Our tour guide today was Dominique, a student living in Nuremberg. She was very soft spoken and I had a little trouble hearing her on the bus even though she was using the mic, but with the Quiet Voxes she was fine. We drove past old city walls and the enormous former SS building, and commercial buildings that I can't recall.

We drove through Hitler's horseshoe-shaped coliseum, which was never completed. The bus made two turns through.

DSC03027_zpsbyycmb11.jpg

The next stop was Zeppelin Field, the **** party rally grounds. I thought we would be able to get off the bus and walk into it, but no. Maybe the WWII tour was able to do this. So the picture is from the bus on this rainy day.

DSC03039_zps0t5pbm55.jpg

I know we also drove past the courthouse where the famous trials were conducted, but except for the two places above, the bus didn't stop or slow down, so no other photos from the bus tour. After about an hour and ten minutes on the bus, we were dropped off at the top of a hill but the foot of the Imperial Castle.

DSC03046_zpsd4azpknw.jpg

It's so much more enjoyable touring in the sunshine. You don't get water on your head from your neighbor's umbrella and you can see better because you don't have umbrellas blocking the view. Which is not to say it wasn't interesting, just that it was more difficult to enjoy the viewing.

Starting the walk up to the castle

DSC03048_zpsplb6onoa.jpg

It seemed that a lot of the castle was being renovated, and there was so much equipment and scaffolding, it was hard to get a picture of how it really looks. We entered the castle grounds as Dominique described how the entrance zig zagged to make it difficult for invaders with battering rams to work up enough speed to push their way through. They would also have arrows and hot oil raining down on them.

DSC03049_zpsboynbdx9.jpg

The moat. It was never filled with water but apparently the walls were high enough to keep invaders from climbing them.

DSC03050_zpsl3sqofur.jpg

Forgot to mention that when we were dropped off at the castle, you didn't have to get off and tour the castle. The bus would drop you off in Nuremberg at the meeting point and you could walk around the city on your own. Dee and El decided to do that.

Entering the castle grounds with no need for battering rams

DSC03051_zpsvh824fzf.jpg

DSC03052_zpsjwva9h2a.jpg

DSC03054_zpsb6ertccb.jpg

We came to a spot that had good views over the city

DSC03058_zpsam6wc1fx.jpg

DSC03060_zpswuippboq.jpg

DSC03065_zpsspo8jwts.jpg

It was a quick walk through the castle area. What took the longest was waiting for everyone who wanted to use the bathroom since we weren't the only tour there.

Leaving the castle

DSC03066_zpsppumzgrj.jpg

DSC03070_zpsugqoef53.jpg

It was a pretty steep descent.

DSC03074_zpszrgufga2.jpg

DSC03075_zpswszpptfi.jpg

Walking away from the castle into town

DSC03082_zpswqc01pxg.jpg

DSC03086_zpssbyxue6f.jpg

Next to St. Sebald was a café that our guide said had the delicious small sausages (about 3 inches) that Nuremberg is famous for. About a block past St. Sebald and the Rathaus, we came to the Hauptmarkt where there was a market in progress. You could get the tiny sausages there, too, along with lebkuchen (the gingerbread-like cookie), produce, or flowers.

DSC03110_zpsl6sqmmml.jpg

The market, by the fountain, was our meeting place at 12:30. I wanted to see St. Sebald Church so I walked back to it.

From one end of the church

DSC03120_zpssc8zds3e.jpg

To the other

DSC03122_zpscngaayme.jpg

The remains of St. Sebald are interred in the gold casket.

DSC03115_zpsvceiwqfa.jpg

DSC03123_zpsrh9q4jor.jpg

I made sure I was back at the Hauptmarkt about five minutes before noon when the Glockenspiel went into action.

What you can buy at the market

DSC03126_zpswchz0bhz.jpg

DSC03130_zpsd6b0uqxi.jpg

Lebkuchen anyone? Gluten free!

DSC03145_zpsf5ar4ft4.jpg

The glockenspiel begins. Two trumpeters blow their horns, then a drummer drums, a bell ringer chimes his bell

DSC03136_zpsncje8g5o.jpg

And then Prince-electors circle the Holy Roman Emperor. Considering the rain, I was pretty happy with how my photos turned out.

DSC03144_zpsknnnlzx0.jpg

It all ends with the angelus ringing. In the market place is a fountain. The name of the fountain is the "Beautiful Fountain." I'd read about it. Today it's anyone's guess at how beautiful it is since it's completely covered while it's being repainted. Our guide said it was supposed to take a month and it's already been a year. That does not sound like German efficiency.

DSC03146_zpszmkxennf.jpg

That is a picture of the fountain showing in the photo, not the actual fountain.

Edited by mimmy52

A block or two past the church with the glockenspiel is a sculpture called "Ship of Fools."

DSC03150_zpshkq7omyi.jpg

DSC03154_zpseo1edtwo.jpg

I decided not to walk any farther since it was getting close to our meeting time. Instead I paid a quick visit to the Church of Our Lady, the church that houses the glockenspiel.

No one is eating outside today.

DSC03158_zps1na6rvrb.jpg

DSC03162_zpsx2ckdi6v.jpg

DSC03167_zpssvodfprq.jpg

Our meeting time was 12:30 and it was a short walk to where the busses were parked. There was a lot of traffic, and it was 1:10 before we were back to the ship. Since lunch started at 1:00, I went right to the dining room.

The appetizers for today.

DSC03179_zpsqtwsidtk.jpg

And the pasta for today, Cavatappi Pasta Arrabiata with tomatoes, spring onions, red onions, spicy tomato sauce.

DSC03178_zps2hfeogvg.jpg

If you were touring Nuremberg on your own, you had to be back on the ship by 2:15 at which time it would leave for Roth. But you could still see Nuremberg in the afternoon, either on the optional tour or on a shuttle. Both left at 2:15. I was signed up for the optional excursion, "Surviving the War: Art in Nuremberg." Dee and El hadn't signed up for this tour in advance, and when they tried, they found it was full. When I received the "My Viking Journey" online link after we made our Viking reservation, there were three optional afternoon excursions to choose from. I gather that two of them didn't get enough people signed up.

When we leave the ship, we can borrow a Viking umbrella and take a bottle of water. Usually someone is handing out the water before a tour.

DSC03181_zpsyiln2ygh.jpg

We drove past some of the same structures we saw this morning, including the old city walls.

DSC03183_zpsl7tjpaev.jpg

DSC03188_zpskz0qboe2.jpg

The bus drove us to the castle again, but instead of entering the castle grounds, we went in the opposite direction.

DSC03199_zpstzdsmsr3.jpg

A different tunnel from this morning.

DSC03200_zpshoedmamc.jpg

On the other side of the tunnel is the Albrecht Durer Haus.

DSC03203_zps8ffphrfr.jpg

On another building, there's St. George again with his dragon.

DSC03206_zpss8cznmtm.jpg

This is also where that strange rabbit sculpture is, based on one of Durer's paintings.

DSC03210_zpsyzvp4u50.jpg

Looking down the street

DSC03212_zpstslmoreu.jpg

And around from another angle

DSC03221_zpsmvs9rpvz.jpg

Stefan had been our tour guide but now he introduced us to another guide, whose name I didn't catch, who will lead us through the bunker where both German art and stolen art were stored in WWII.

DSC03223_zpszzurgac5.jpg

On our way to the bunker

DSC03224_zps5nzfjcyr.jpg

The bunker had been a storage facility for beer and it had six cells in it where art was stored, including the stained glass windows from St. Sebald and any piece of art that was moveable.

DSC03228_zpszeixhghb.jpg

Inside the bunker

DSC03230_zpsf4sgvg31.jpg

This bunker was not as large as the salt mines used to store treasures that are depicted in the movie "The Monuments Men." Still it held stained glass windows from St. Sebald and a stolen altarpiece from Krakow.

DSC03233_zps0ofpezti.jpg

A photo of the stolen altarpiece hangs in the bunker now.

DSC03244_zpsfaj1z4de.jpg

DSC03236_zps0nwmmxtc.jpg

There was a photo of a big crate built around the casket of St. Sebald to protect it, starting with wood and then adding bricks.

DSC03240_zpspnv96gid.jpg

DSC03241_zpsyonjlrbz.jpg

This is how some of the statues from St. Sebald were stored.

DSC03242_zpsuxt49ipv.jpg

The guards' room

DSC03248_zpslxjbzpez.jpg

Toward the end of the war, pieces of the Imperial Treasury (now in Vienna) were stored here too.

DSC03249_zpshaalk1bt.jpg

There were a lot of photos showing Nuremberg before and after bombing during WWII when 60-80 percent of the city was destroyed.

Edited by mimmy52

At the end of the tour, we were turned back over to Stefan who walked us to St. Sebald.

On the way to St. Sebald

DSC03257_zpsf19qakh1.jpg

Back at St. Sebald. I hadn't realized this church would be part of the art tour.

DSC03260_zpsfph5d5x5.jpg

DSC03262_zpszxpazt4o.jpg

He showed us the casket I'd seen that morning and the sculptures that had all been stored in the bunker.

DSC03268_zps2cdraws3.jpg

DSC03272_zpsihz6rkip.jpg

DSC03277_zpsvcfa6tq6.jpg

After St. Sebald's, Stefan walked us to the Hauptmarkt and that ended the tour. It was 5:00 and we had 30 minutes free time. It would have been an hour except the ship was still in Nurnberg rather than in Roth where it was scheduled to pick us up. For those who had taken the shuttle, it also left for the ship at 5:30. I'm not sure how the shuttle people were alerted to the change. When Sam met us at the ship, he said it turned out the traffic at the lock was so bad, they wouldn't have gotten to Roth until about 9:00 that night. We were back on the ship around 6:00 and we left Nuremberg immediately.

It's always fun to look forward to dinner, even more so now that we know people. There were four appetizer choices including blue cheese stuffed meatballs, but I had Bibb lettuce and three pea salad.

DSC03286_zps1ccqkoeh.jpg

Braised Beef Brisket was Chef Johnny's recommendation (can't remember what I had). There was a special occasion at the next table.

DSC03288_zpsgiqsotub.jpg

For dessert I had another regional specialty, but I lost the name of whatever it was. Different from the one the night before, although there was a similarity.

DSC03289_zpska0tpc6i.jpg

I just got back from the cruise following your cruise on the Viking Vili. I am enjoying your postings and photos. I am amazed at how different your cruise was compared to mine. I started in Budapest and went to Amsterdam. While the places that we went were the same, you saw places that I did not see. The most amazing change was in the staff. We had a different hotel director, cruise director, and captain. Nina Van Loon was our concierge and yours. She was amazing. She gave excellent info, always was pleasant, and had limitless energy. Looking forward to reading more of your postings.

A quick update before I upload more photos. I remembered these just in time since they were on my iPad and not on my camera. Between Nuremberg and Regensburg, we went through several really deep (90 feet) locks. We left Nuremberg somewhere between 6:00-6:30 and as close as I remember, it was around 10:30 when we started going through these deep locks.

Lock%20one_zpsuatzjijh.jpg

Lock%202_zpsxqlrkagl.jpg

Lock%203_zpso0utihjc.jpg

I never got tired of watching the ship go through locks.

Wow! Incredible lock pictures. Never went through one that deep on any of our itineraries.

Looks like you did a lot in Nuremburg. We didn't cover as much ground when we were there, but what you saw looks familiar from passing by. Really enjoying this thread.