Which ship to Alaska in 2017?

bluedevil72

We are planning a southbound cruise tour in Alaska in the summer of 2017. It looks like Star, Coral and Island are the three choices. We have cruised Alaska three times but not on Princess. However, we have cruised on Crown and Caribbean in the Caribbean so we are familiar with those ships.

First question, why is the Star cheaper than the other two for the same dates? I did look at the ship facts so I know the Star is larger, older and hasn't been refurbished recently. Price will not be the determining factor, I just wondered why the price difference.

What ship is the best for seeing the sights? I did a search on this subject, and most people seemed to think Coral and Island were better, but the thread was from 2015 and I assume Island has been refurbished since then. Thank you in advance for your input.

We are planning a southbound cruise tour in Alaska in the summer of 2017. It looks like Star, Coral and Island are the three choices. We have cruised Alaska three times but not on Princess. However, we have cruised on Crown and Caribbean in the Caribbean so we are familiar with those ships.

First question, why is the Star cheaper than the other two for the same dates? I did look at the ship facts so I know the Star is larger, older and hasn't been refurbished recently. Price will not be the determining factor, I just wondered why the price difference.

What ship is the best for seeing the sights? I did a search on this subject, and most people seemed to think Coral and Island were better, but the thread was from 2015 and I assume Island has been refurbished since then. Thank you in advance for your input.

Hands down Coral Coral Coral!!

Wide Promenade decks and only 1900 passengers!

Great viewing areas forward/aft/sides.

Another vote for Coral Princess; it's just better laid out for Alaska cruising.

And that's probably why Star Princess is less expensive--everybody knows Coral is better.

Edited by f-mattox

If there's a substantial price difference for a similar itinerary, I'd base my decision on price instead of which ship.

If both price & itinerary are similar, then the Coral would definitely be my choice. The ship has great partially covered aft viewing areas with loungers on Baja & Caribe decks. The Universe Lounge has one of my favorite production shows (On the Bayou), the Bayou Cafe Steakhouse ($29) has a New Orleans theme, a wide promenade deck and also a smaller version of the International Cafe.

The Island's changes didn't improve anything for passengers & eliminated the Universe Lounge, aft viewing decks, wraparound promenade deck, moved the gym inside the ship and it never had an IC. So the Island is no longer a true twin of the Coral & is no longer near the top of my list.

I've sailed the Star several times & sailing the ship again to Hawaii this winter. The Star also has great views from the shopping cart handle version of Skywalker's which is indoors.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks to everyone for your prompt and to the point responses. These responses are about the same as what I saw on the thread that I found from last year. It looks like the Coral is the best ship for us. Thanks again.

If you haven't viewed the website for Coral balcony info this might be helpful for you.

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/Princess/odell/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Edited by Astro Flyer

We would pick the Coral and have her booked for August 2017. As a second choice, I would take the Star as closer to the Golden & Grand, without the extra deck of passengers that the Emerald, Caribbean, Ruby and Crown has.

Skywalkers (not on Coral or Island) is usually a nice, quiet place during the day to relax and look out over the area. First place we headed too after breakfast with a cup of coffee to sit and watch out over the ocean.