Paid excursions...

Geerts87

My husband and I signed up for some excursions that were extra $$$ do many people sign up for these will they be very busy? Can someone give me an approx. how many people.

Thanks!

This is a tough question to give a definitive answer. Popularity of a given tour depends on so many factors that it is hard to predict from sailing to sailing. Buses generally hold 30-40 people. Some of the optional excursions have multiple buses and even multiple tour times and some are limited to one bus and one tour time.

If you want a small group, you might consider private tours, then you can be assured of a maximum amount of people, or make it just for the two of you in many cases. The Ports of Call section on CC is a great resource for finding people who have used different tour groups...as well as Trip Advisor - just a thought.....we are big fans of this approach! That said, it isn't for everyone.

If you want a small group, you might consider private tours, then you can be assured of a maximum amount of people, or make it just for the two of you in many cases. The Ports of Call section on CC is a great resource for finding people who have used different tour groups...as well as Trip Advisor - just a thought.....we are big fans of this approach! That said, it isn't for everyone.

We booked an off cruise tour and 2 with the cruise line so we shall see how it goes. I'm thinking we prefer a smaller group, it's our first cruise so we have to figure out how it all works first. Thanks for the reply.

We booked an off cruise tour and 2 with the cruise line so we shall see how it goes. I'm thinking we prefer a smaller group, it's our first cruise so we have to figure out how it all works first. Thanks for the reply.

Keep asking questions! No sense in re-inventing the wheel when you have so many experienced cruisers at your beck and call. :D If you have questions about Viking and how things work, ask it in this forum (new questions should have a new thread) but if you want to know more about a specific port, check out the Ports of Call section of Cruise Critic or Trip Advisor.

Another thought....and we have done this as well with Viking.....if there is an included excursion to a specific location that you want to explore, but you prefer wandering on your own, you can always take the bus to the drop point, ask them respectfully what time you need to be back to catch the bus for returning to the ship...and then explore on your own. We checked with the excursions department about doing this and it did not appear to be an issue - we tipped the driver as we would with a tour and gave the guide a little something as well. Everyone seemed to be happy.

And as Peregrina said, there is a ton of information and resources on these boards.....and we all learn from one another!