Breakaway Bermuda Question

sammysetra

Hi

I'm planning to book a Bermuda cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway in May, 2017. I wonder if previous cruisers could take the time to comment on these two points:

i. Would choosing a cruise in May be okay weather wise? I know weather patterns vary and there are no guarantees but I am anxious to avoid rough seas as much as possible. Would travelling in May be more or less likely to be impacted by seasonal weather patterns?

ii. When the ship berths at Kings Wharf does it normally face the same way? I'm trying to work out if we wanted a sea view whilst in Bermuda should I book a starboard or port sided room. If the berth varies then I'll just take pot luck!

Your input would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is not hurricane season yet so it should be good. The seas can be a little rough any time you go to Bermuda. One issue is that the water may still be somewhat cold at the beach.

The position of the ship can change each time but the view is good no matter what.

Enjoy your cruise.

May will be better than later in the summer (won't be dodging hurricanes like they are this week). The Breakaway is larger than the Dawn, so it would handle the seas better.

The ship will dock according to maintenance requirements (i.e., won't dock in the same direction each trip).

May is a beautiful month to go to Bermuda. As mentioned above it is not hurricane season but water can still be a little rough. I have been to Bermuda in the beginning of May and ocean temperatures are still a little cooler than summer but warmer than the Northeast. May is a good time to sail because most children are still in school.

We always book Starboard because we love to sit on our balcony when passing the Statue of Liberty. We enjoy the view of looking at the blue waters of Bermuda, sea view, and have always been fortunate to dock port side giving us our view.

Bermuda is absolutely beautiful and so is the Breakaway. Enjoy!!

Three weeks out of four the Breakaway docks with port facing Royal Navy Dockyard--when we were on her the third week of May, that was the week she docked starboard. When I asked one of the officers why, he explained that they have mandatory lifeboat maintenance once per month, and that was the week they had to do the other side. We had calm seas and great weather (one day of rain).

Hi

ii. When the ship berths at Kings Wharf does it normally face the same way? I'm trying to work out if we wanted a sea view whilst in Bermuda should I book a starboard or port sided room. If the berth varies then I'll just take pot luck!

The Breakaway docks at Heritage Wharf, and just for fun, this year I have been keeping track of which way she docks. So far, she has called 18 times and docked port side alongside 10 of those times, including our visit the week of August 14. We will be back onboard for the last Bermuda run on October 23, and am hoping for port side again, since we will be in the aft Haven suite in the port corner. Gives great view of the whole Dockyard area, including any pier runners.