Canopy Tour in Ocho Rios

Coolmama_1

DH want to do the canopy tour. I wasn't so sure and then I saw this week's Survivor where that was their reward. It looked fun and maybe i will try it. I told him I would do it if he could guarantee a chocolate buffet at the end:D

Has anyone tried this tour?

DH want to do the canopy tour. I wasn't so sure and then I saw this week's Survivor where that was their reward. It looked fun and maybe i will try it. I told him I would do it if he could guarantee a chocolate buffet at the end:D

Has anyone tried this tour?

My husband and two teenagers did this tour last week and LOVED it. One of the highlights of their week.

My wife and I did it 2 weeks ago. It was terrific... but no chocolate at the end. The guides are terrific. You get a chance to see Jamaica away from the pier. The ride on what passes for a road up to the tour is an adventure in and of itself.

Hey there! Below is the link for my review of the Canopy Tour. It is fabulous!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=235428

jcs56-Unfortunately, there is no way to just go and "watch" the canopy tour. Your family will start up on the mountain and by means of the ziplines, will make their way down the mountain thru the jungle canopy. There are 9 traverses & 2 'surprises'. The tour takes the full amount of time that RCCL indicates which is I believe 4 hours & 15 minutes.

If you get a chance to do this tour you should. I did something very similar to this on our Alaskan cruise and it was the chance of a lifetime. It was the most thrilling thing I have ever done.

We are going to be stopping in Ocho Rios during our cruise in January, and I wouldn't miss this tour for the world.

Thanks for all your comments. My brother/wife and parents are going with us. I am going to see what all want to do. My parents are elderly and this may be the last time we all get to vacation together, so if parents want to do something else, then all the more reason to book another cruise!:D

HI All, I a rookie cruiser and will be going on my 2nd cruise in January, on Victory, it will be my girlfriend 1st . We would love to try this Excursion, when we are in Jamaica. She is really worried about the difficultly level of it. She does not think she is strong enough for it. How hard is it?

We did a conopy tour in Costa Rica and though I was scared to death most of the way, my husband loved it nd it was a great tour. The guides we great and I felt safe at all times. We were considering this tour for our stop in Ocho http://jamaicacruiseexcursions.com/JamaicaAdventureRetreat.htm but ended up choosing the horses. This might be of interest to those looking for a more laid back adventure with zip lines.

HI All, I a rookie cruiser and will be going on my 2nd cruise in January, on Victory, it will be my girlfriend 1st . We would love to try this Excursion, when we are in Jamaica. She is really worried about the difficultly level of it. She does not think she is strong enough for it. How hard is it?

Seydlitz-Hopefully you got a chance to read my previous post which included my review of The Original Canopy Tour. On this tour, you are not required to be in super shape. There isn't any time when you must climb a pole to reach a platform, etc. The main physical activity would be the walking. When you first set out, you do a good bit of walking thru the jungle to get to the first zipline. It's a somewhat rugged terrain (pebbles on dirt path, downhill, a good number of downhill stairs) but isn't too bad. The stairs near the end of the hike make your legs feel like jello-kindof shaky (this was what several people in our group were saying). But that's about the extent of the 'rough' stuff. From the moment you are hooked up to the zipline, you are just 'flying' thru the air. No physical strength needed. At the end of the tour, you do another hike (this time on flat surface thru jungle) back to where bus will pick you up.

I did read Karlybee's attachment (Jamaicaexcursions.com) about that particular excursion. For that 2 line zip, you are going to have to be able to climb up a pole to get to the platform :o (which I would think would require more physical strength than what we did.)

IMO, if you are looking for a zipline experience, The Original Canopy Tour is the way to go. It was awesome!! (And please note: I am a MAJOR CHICKEN when it comes to stuff so..if I can do this-anyone can do it!)

The only way to book The Original Canopy Tour is thru your ship.

Thanks for your review. We signed up for this for our cruise in 2 weeks.

You will have a blast! I wish I was getting back on a ship! You should really think about taking your video camera if you go. I know you can purchase still pictures but don't remember a video option. My DH strapped the video camera around his neck and was able to hold onto the zipline with one hand and video with the other. The video is amazing!

Dorothy -- you indicated you went with your teenagers. Was this through Royal Caribbean? I have tried to book this tour for our teenage son and they will not allow it since he is not yet 18. My son and husband really want to do this together. Any advise?

Thanks.

Dorothy -- you indicated you went with your teenagers. Was this through Royal Caribbean? I have tried to book this tour for our teenage son and they will not allow it since he is not yet 18. My son and husband really want to do this together. Any advise?

Thanks.

Yes, we were on a Royal Caribbean ship - Voyager of the Seas.

We could not book it ahead of time, but what we were able to do was book it on the ship. We had a suite and got the tickets through the concierge, but you could also use the interactive TV option and book it yourself on the ship -when you book an excursion through the tv, you pick one name to charge that particular excusion to, and then tell it how many tickets, and you get your tickets that night in your room. I would definitely book it ASAP after getting on the ship though!!!

When you get off the ship for the tour, you are only dealing with the company that runs the canopy tour, and they are not checking ID (esp. since their age limit is much lower than RC!) even though the ticket says something on it like "Must be 18 or older for this tour." The Canopy tour people told me via email that RC is in the process of lowering the age limit on that particular tour to 10 or 12, but who knows how long it will take for them to actually do it.

I hope that helps!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Dorothyh -

I will look into booking this through concierge as soon as we board- my kids are 15 and 10, and hopefully the canopy tour operators will let us do it. It sounds like a blast!

Has anyone done this since Wilma? Wondering how the 'canopy' fared through a hurricane! Also, has anyone done this recently through RCI with kids? Have they lowered the age restrictions yet?

Dorothyh -

I will look into booking this through concierge as soon as we board- my kids are 15 and 10, and hopefully the canopy tour operators will let us do it. It sounds like a blast!

Has anyone done this since Wilma? Wondering how the 'canopy' fared through a hurricane! Also, has anyone done this recently through RCI with kids? Have they lowered the age restrictions yet?

I have a review if you'd like to read it, did it last week.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=5242885#post5242885

The only damage was the road was washed out due to heavy rains, but we made it up just fine. Can't help you with the age restrictions, I was the youngest at 27.

Archived