First cruise to New Caledonia just a few Q's

Mitsui

Hi all,

I am very excited and will be leaving in 3 weeks for my first cruise. Carnival Spirit. Noumea, Lifou Isle and Isle of Pines. I just have a few q's and I am hoping someone on here can help me out.

Smoking - I understand that you can only smoke on certain parts of the ship and that is perfectly fine. I am wondering about the purchasing of smokes? Is there a limit on what I can bring on or bring back? am I better off buying all in Australia or would it be cheaper overseas? (yes I am a heavy smoker, and yes I know its a filthy habit, planning on giving up after cruise)

Can anyone suggest some good excursions to take whilst at the above ports? I don't plan on booking through the ship.

Can you really sneak booze on board?!?!?

Do they have spa packages available on the ship?

I am really looking forward to the break after the last 6 crappy months!!

Thanks in advance :)

Mitsui, several years ago we did a cruise that stopped in Noumea and did a ship organised tour in a yellow tractor type train which traveled around the Noumea up to a scenic lookout for views over Noumea with champagne and snacks. it was an enjoyable 3 or so hour trip. A walk to the fish markets near the pier was also quiet enjoyable. Hope this helps.

There is a Hop On Hop Off Bus in Noumea that runs out Lemon Bay and Anse Vatu Bay. That's worth doing and it only costs AU $15. You get the tickets inside the terminal building. There is a very good Aquarium at the northern end of Anse Vatu Bay, and some good restaurants at the southern end of Lemon Bay, and it's a short walk though a back street between the two.

The beach where the tenders dock at Lifou usually has a small market and food stalls, plus people offering local tours. You will need reef shoes at this beach. There is really good snorkelling at Jinek Bay, about 10 minutes walk away. There is a fee to snorkel there and they restrict the numbers to preserve the reef.

The Isles of Pines is gorgeous. There will be market and food stalls. One beach has lovely fine sand, the other is great for snorkelling. There will be tours on offer too.

Just be aware that all your luggage is xrayed when you board, both checked-in luggage and carry-ons.

• 4 weeks later...

Smokes can be purchased at the bars alot cheaper than aust. Do not hide spread throughout baggage. Was 50 cigarettes or two pacts, you might get warning or pay tax or fine or court attendances notice or a star on passport :eek: and that's not something you want if you want to travel.

Noumea bus .they have a bus , like the rest ove the world , stand at bus stop , put havd out . bus stops , step on pay cpf $1.50 .say merc b kqu , that's how it sounds to them .sit down. Press button to get of .its called smart travelers bus:D

Trouble