ANTHEM: Booking Restaurants and other misc questions…

HLR

I am sailing solo on Anthem of the Seas on December 16th, 2016 a week before Christmas. [so far the ship looks empty though I know that ships do not sail empty] I have made all my reservations for activities and shows. From reading reviews I see what people complain about and most of those things are of minor concern to me…but most all complain about having not made dinner reservations and being forced to eat their dinners in the Windjammer cafe. Some questions…in no particular order:

1) Should I pre-book all the night’s dinner reservations for 1 which can be changed once on board if meeting new people?

2) If I am booked for a specific complimentary restaurant and I see that evenings menu and I would rather dine in a different one how difficult is it to switch?

3) I have a free Specialty Restaurant offer with my cruise fare that I think is only good for the Steak House. I don’t see Lamb Chops on their menu and that would be my “real” choice. Can I request them prior to the meal?

4) Is it the best idea to get the RCL transfer to Universal Studios and pre-buy ONLY a 1 park ticket to Universal online since we don’t arrive in Port Canaveral until 12 noon? The park is open until 10 pm, but we sail at 9:30 pm. The park will be very busy and I don’t think there would be time for 2 parks. I don't see a package for Universal on RCL's site, only Disney.

5) Are there showers in the Men’s Locker room at the fitness center? I know there is no free steam or sauna.

6) If you get a Spa treatment are you allowed to use the Spa facilities afterward?

7) Do people attend the Ballroom Dance sessions in the Music Hall as I see listed usually around 6 pm in the Compass? “Pre-Recorded Ballroom Music” it says.

Hmmm…anything else???

HLR

1) Should I pre-book all the night’s dinner reservations for 1 which can be changed once on board if meeting new people? Yes, you should, as it's easier to change a reservation that you already have, than to make a new one. That said, you might be able to change, but it would also be easier if you're willing to eat early or late. And if your new group isn't too large. It's tougher if you try to change to 'prime' eating time (Between 7 and 8) or you want a new reservation for 10.

2) If I am booked for a specific complimentary restaurant and I see that evenings menu and I would rather dine in a different one how difficult is it to switch? For our 9 night cruise on the Anthem, the menus for each individual restaurant were the same for the first 4 nights, then switched for the last 5 nights, so you should check at the beginning of each cycle. Also, there are certain 'classic' dishes that are offers every night of the cruise in all restaurants. As for switching between restaurants, see answer above.

7) Do people attend the Ballroom Dance sessions in the Music Hall as I see listed usually around 6 pm in the Compass? “Pre-Recorded Ballroom Music” it says. There were people at all the dance classes offered. In fact, there were even people there watching the people dancing!

Answers in red. Sorry I couldn't answer all your questions. Enjoy your cruise!

We are sailing December 9th and I still can't make reservations for the entertainment. I made reservations for the activities. When I try to for the entertainment, it says, Sorry you can not book right now, try to book onboard. Should I call them?

Barb

We are sailing December 9th and I still can't make reservations for the entertainment. I made reservations for the activities. When I try to for the entertainment, it says, Sorry you can not book right now, try to book onboard. Should I call them?

Barb

Call to confirm, but it's likely just too early.

Call to confirm, but it's likely just too early.

Well hmmm... I am sailing a week later and the shows opened up end of July. Then the activities...the Specialty restaurants opened for online booking last week...just not the complimentary restaurants. I'd call! [And the operator will not know what to tell you!]

HLR

Barb

Barb: We are on the same sailing as you. Can't believe that we can't make reservations for the entertainment yet. Would like to know about the entertainment so we can make dinner reservations. This is all new to us.

Just called RCCL and they told me it's to early to book the entertainment yet. When I explained there was a person who is sailing the week after me, that has already booked their entertainment. She took my reservation number and pulled up my booking and said it's to early to book yet, 90 days prior to the cruise. I asked her why the cruise after mine was able to book the entertainment then. She only replied 90 days prior. Not sure I believe her so I'll wait a few days and try to book again, it will be the 90 days then.

Thanks! That's a start!

HLR

You did not say what dining option you had "Classic" or "Choice". On our Aug. 25th 9 night cruise we chose DD Classic and worked like magic. Did not know what to expect, but we rotated with our entire wait staff and other diners from dining room to dining room. We were assigned Chic the first night and followed by Grande, Silk and American Idol. As someone has mentioned the second time around they had different menu. A big surprise was the night that we left Bar Harbor, Maine--dined at Chic and were informed by our waiter that lobster was on the menu. We thought that if was tails when in fact they were whole Maine lobster sliced in half and the head stuffed with tiny shrimp. Nice surprise--we found out later that they paid $40k for the lobsters.

There is always something going on in the Music Hall from Kareoke to Michael Jackson's thriller dance, etc. Also, on our cruise there was a cover band "Wanted" that covered Bon Jovi music and they were pretty good.

If you want lamb chops, may I recommend Jamie's--my wife loves the lamb chops. You get 3 lamb chops and vegetable. I ordered the prawns with linguine--asked to substitute marinara sauce rather than theirs. Jamie's is cheaper than Chops and I'm sure there's no problem in switching. Like their meat plank.

Ps. Don't believe all of the gripes, you must judge it by yourself. The ship is beautiful just like it's sister's ship the Quantum that we sailed in Feb., '14. There so much to do. The quality of food on our cruise was very good. One day we were surprised at lunch in Grande, their special was a lobster/shrimp roll--better than the lobster roll that we had in Kenebunk, Maine.

Some people blame everything on the ship. For instance there's a thread that this person complained about the delay in disembarking at St. John's, NB, but he does not realize that's in the hands of the Canadian Customs. A couple of days later next stop in Canada was Halifax and no delays encountered, because immigration was already cleared.

Anyway, enjoy yourself.

Ps. Love the ship and simplicity of us getting to the pier, that we booked a 12 nite Carib. cruise for Jan. 28, '18. Took advantage of the $200 OBC.

Just called RCCL and they told me it's to early to book the entertainment yet. When I explained there was a person who is sailing the week after me, that has already booked their entertainment. She took my reservation number and pulled up my booking and said it's to early to book yet, 90 days prior to the cruise. I asked her why the cruise after mine was able to book the entertainment then. She only replied 90 days prior. Not sure I believe her so I'll wait a few days and try to book again, it will be the 90 days then.

See! I was right! The operator didn't know!!!!

HLR

You did not say what dining option you had "Classic" or "Choice".

If you want lamb chops, may I recommend Jamie's--my wife loves the lamb chops. You get 3 lamb chops and vegetable. I ordered the prawns with linguine--asked to substitute marinara sauce rather than theirs. Jamie's is cheaper than Chops and I'm sure there's no problem in switching. Like their meat plank.

Ps. Don't believe all of the gripes, you must judge it by yourself.

Hi Nelblu!

I am Choice Dining. Since I am solo and who knows who I'd be seated with...that's the way to go. I see that Jamie's has a less expensive cover than Chops so I wonder if they will let me use the specialty dining voucher there instead. We'll see! I know some of the menus do have rack of lamb...but one has to wait til one's on board to see which set of the two menus is first.

I think many people's gripes are personal and hopefully...I won't have them! I know not to expect a lounger by the pool... I know there will be lines in the buffet... I know "Don't expect a party of 10 to be seated without a reservation at 7:30 pm without a long wait!"

So there!

HLR

Hi Nelblu!

I am Choice Dining. Since I am solo and who knows who I'd be seated with...that's the way to go. I see that Jamie's has a less expensive cover than Chops so I wonder if they will let me use the specialty dining voucher there instead. We'll see! I know some of the menus do have rack of lamb...but one has to wait til one's on board to see which set of the two menus is first.

I think many people's gripes are personal and hopefully...I won't have them! I know not to expect a lounger by the pool... I know there will be lines in the buffet... I know "Don't expect a party of 10 to be seated without a reservation at 7:30 pm without a long wait!"

So there!

HLR

Other than embarkation day, the WJ was normal flow. On sea days we went to the dining room (Grande) for variety. Also used the MDR for breakfast on various days.

Don't be surprised if you get to your table right away, as some diners due to many reasons do not show up for DD Classic.