Dolphin Excursions....which One To Choose???

hotshot99

On Primetime on ABC there was a story about Dolphin parks in Mexico. They claim that for every Dolphin captured that ten are killed. If you really care about Dolphins and don't wish to contribute to their slaughter don't give your business to the dolphin excursions.

The most pricey is the best. It should be the dolphin swim rather than the dolphin encounter. The swim is the only one where you get all the way into the water with the dolphins. This excursion was the highlight of my 21 cruises. It was magical.

the dolphin encounter- you stand in about 2 inches of water and look at the dolphins. I think you get to pet them.

The dolphin swin- you are in the water with the dolphin for about 30 minutes! at the end the dolphins take you for a ride across the pool (aleast they did when I went 3 years ago)

As for the killing of Dolphins, I checked out the place in PV, It is the "dolphin adventure center" they have a very good reputation. The dolphin there are treated very well.

If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them.

I do notice they have a new one "dolphin excurison for kids"

As for the killing of Dolphins, I checked out the place in PV, It is the "dolphin adventure center" they have a very good reputation. The dolphin there are treated very well.

Please read the primetime story

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=1254011&page=1

The issue is not so much the treatment once they are captured. It is the initial capture of the dolphins which causes many to die. I can't believe that anyone would be so cavalier to not care about this and to contribute to their death.

We did the dolphin swim and you get into the water about 10 feet deep with life vests. the dolphin excurison for kids - only the kid gets into the water. the parent needs to stay out of the water. If this is going to be a family event- go for the dolphin swim

After reading alot of posts about the concern with the dolphins safety, I think that it is definitely a very important factor in determining whether or not you want to participate in this.

The excitement (especially for children) to play with dolphins is definitely something that most people if afforded the opportunity would not want to miss. But I also think that you must also realize the responsibilities that you are accepting by participating in this endeavour.

1- Dolphins are killed and hurt during the process of attempting captivity.

2- These living containments are small, and they have limited privacy and are constantly being interracted with.

Dolphins love human beings. I have had the opportunity to interract with them in the open ocean (one time when I was younger and very scared because our small dingy had sunk) and they refused to leave my side until I was rescued. They sense fear, are extremely loyal to humans, and love to play.

There are opportunities to interract with these wonderful animals in their habitat. It is rare, but it is possible. However, to force them to live in small tanks in captivity for personal enjoyment seems very cruel, and the buyer must assume responsibility for funding this practice.

We all have a tendancy to think of our children first, and so is the natural thing. But to refuse to acknowledge the inhumane treatment of a beautiful animal to simply satisy a childs personal enjoyment does not seem like the lesson we as parents are trying to promote to our children.

After reading alot of posts about the concern with the dolphins safety, I think that it is definitely a very important factor in determining whether or not you want to participate in this.

The excitement (especially for children) to play with dolphins is definitely something that most people if afforded the opportunity would not want to miss. But I also think that you must also realize the responsibilities that you are accepting by participating in this endeavour.

1- Dolphins are killed and hurt during the process of attempting captivity.

2- These living containments are small, and they have limited privacy and are constantly being interracted with.

Dolphins love human beings. I have had the opportunity to interract with them in the open ocean (one time when I was younger and very scared because our small dingy had sunk) and they refused to leave my side until I was rescued. They sense fear, are extremely loyal to humans, and love to play.

There are opportunities to interract with these wonderful animals in their habitat. It is rare, but it is possible. However, to force them to live in small tanks in captivity for personal enjoyment seems very cruel, and the buyer must assume responsibility for funding this practice.

We all have a tendancy to think of our children first, and so is the natural thing. But to refuse to acknowledge the inhumane treatment of a beautiful animal to simply satisy a childs personal enjoyment does not seem like the lesson we as parents are trying to promote to our children.

WE as consumers have the power to stop this cruel treatment of an animal that is probably the most loyal, loving, and intelligent sea mammal in our world.

We just got back from PV and my DS (5) did the kids dolphin encounter. I booked it on-line rather than through the ship.

My son loved it. They learned a little about dolphins, got to pet them, feed them a fish and then actually held on to the trainer while the trainer swam with them. It was the highlight of his trip and very age appropriate.

Hope this info helps.

We just got back from PV and my DS (5) did the kids dolphin encounter. I booked it on-line rather than through the ship.

My son loved it. They learned a little about dolphins, got to pet them, feed them a fish and then actually held on to the trainer while the trainer swam with them. It was the highlight of his trip and very age appropriate.

Hope this info helps.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Im thinking of bboking my wife on the trainer of the day but it's $275! Did you hear of anyone who had done it?

I've only heard good things about the dolphin swims/trainer. The most common thing I heard is that yes it's expensive, but its worth it. The experience of a lifetime.

I was talking to a woman whose cabin was next to ours. She did the dolphin swim (or maybe even the trainer) and said without a doubt it was a great experience. She looked to be about 65ish and said that she's thrilled she got the chance to do it.

I totally agree with PacificSurf619 about the dolphin encounters or swim with the dolphins tours. Shoretrips.com offers a Dolphins in the Wild tour, where you go out on a boat with a marine biologist to observe and possibly interact with a group of dolphins. This is in Puerto Vallarta. Anyone out there been on this tour? Is it truly wild dolphins who are not kept in a penned area, as in the dolphin encounters? Thanks!

I've only heard good things about the dolphin swims/trainer. The most common thing I heard is that yes it's expensive, but its worth it. The experience of a lifetime.

Did you do the one with "vallaratonline" for $54??

Yes, that's the one. Definitely a "highlight" for my son.:)

Radisson Seven Seas Cruises Promotes

Responsible Ecological Practices

FT. LAUDERDALE, FL - Advocating for responsible ecological practices - and taking a stand against the wanton capture and use of marine mammals for the amusement of travelers - Radisson Seven Seas Cruises® announced it will no longer offer dolphin encounter programs in any of its ports of call. The luxury cruise line supports the World Society for the Protection of Animals' worldwide campaign to halt dolphin encounter operations, and, through its onboard environmental education programs in partnership with Jean-Michel Cousteau's Ocean Futures Society, encourages guests to become responsible environmental citizens.

"Sadly, under the guise of communing with nature or advancing our scientific understanding, dolphin encounter programs too often overlook the way dolphins actually exist and interact with each other in the wild, rather than respecting their natural place in the marine ecosystem," said Darius Mehta, director of land programs for Radisson Seven Seas. "While some parks may obtain dolphins legally, many use illegal and cruel means to capture these magnificent animals. While we will continue to employ programs that allow our guests the wonderful experience of observing dolphins in the wild, we're opposed to those that interfere with dolphins' natural behavior."

http://www.***************/news_week_073105.htm#Radisson%20Seven%20Seas%20Cruises%20Promotes

Radisson Seven Seas Cruises Promotes

Responsible Ecological Practices

FT. LAUDERDALE, FL - Advocating for responsible ecological practices - and taking a stand against the wanton capture and use of marine mammals for the amusement of travelers - Radisson Seven Seas Cruises® announced it will no longer offer dolphin encounter programs in any of its ports of call. The luxury cruise line supports the World Society for the Protection of Animals' worldwide campaign to halt dolphin encounter operations, and, through its onboard environmental education programs in partnership with Jean-Michel Cousteau's Ocean Futures Society, encourages guests to become responsible environmental citizens.

"Sadly, under the guise of communing with nature or advancing our scientific understanding, dolphin encounter programs too often overlook the way dolphins actually exist and interact with each other in the wild, rather than respecting their natural place in the marine ecosystem," said Darius Mehta, director of land programs for Radisson Seven Seas. "While some parks may obtain dolphins legally, many use illegal and cruel means to capture these magnificent animals. While we will continue to employ programs that allow our guests the wonderful experience of observing dolphins in the wild, we're opposed to those that interfere with dolphins' natural behavior."

Cal]http://www.***************/news_week_073105.htm#Radisson%20Seven%20Seas%20Cruises%20Promotes

Sure am glad we are going on Princess!

Archived