Civitavecchia to Rome BIRG Advice please

lorelei0922

We will be in port on the 30th of September and of course want to make our way to Rome.

We're pretty intrepid and though I have NO Italian lol, I'm bold and have a translator!

We have seen that the best way to get Rome and include local Rome transport as well may be with a BIRG ticket.

Is the Best place to pick this up at the Train Station? Has anyone done this very recently and could tell me the best procedure?

I see there is a free shuttle offered by most cruise lines out of the port, but a bit of a walk from the train station. Could anyone confirm if MSC offer this shuttle?

I have also seen a post that there is a shuttle from that point to the Train station which is very inexpensive ( the post listed .80p for the trip) Can anyone tell me if this is true and how to find it? ( We're happy to walk but anticipate a long walking day in Rome so want to save our energy early on lol)

We bought our BIRG ticket in the shop at the train station.

Not sure re MSC shuttle as we have never travelled with them, however it is a big port so would think they offer a shuttle to the drop off point.

Once at the drop off point you can get the local shuttle bus to the train station cost was 2 euro each.

Have seen others on cc mention that you can walk from the ship to the train station, but we have never done it.

The port shuttle (within the port) is offered by the port itself, not by individual cruise lines. They generally do a good job with it, although sometimes when you are just getting off your ship and want to get going, they will sit and wait until they have a reasonable number of people onboard -- oh well. It is free.

The port shuttle bus will take you to the (new) port entrance near Via Turco. Right there, you can get a local bus to the train station. I believe the cost has gone up this year so it's more than 80 euro cents, but at the moment I don't have the time to search the threads.

You can get the BIRG anywhere that sells tickets. You don't necessarily have to wait on line at the train station. There are a couple of shops enroute that sell them.

Once at the station, you need to validate the ticket in the green or yellow box on the platform. You insert the ticket and it gets stamped. Be sure to keep your tickets in a safe place as you will use them at least for your return if not during the day in Rome.

P.S. Don't worry about not speaking Italian. Thousands and thousands of tourists do this every month, getting the ticket and heading to Rome. The locals are well used to it and understand what you need (most also know some English).

Edited by cruisemom42

If using the local bus to get to the train station from where the port bus drops you off, you will not have any opportunity to buy the BIRG ticket other than in the train station itself. BUT once inside the train station, you can buy it from the ticket window of the station OR you can buy it from the man in the newsstand that is also located inside the station. That line is generally shorter.

If you walk to the train station from where the port bus drops you off, you will find a couple other places along the way that also sell the BIRG ticket. Look for news stand type places.

If you want to start at the Spanish Steps get off at "Spagna". "Barberini" closet to Trevi.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the OP is asking which train station, not which metro station...?

If that's the case, the train station closest is Termini, then you can get on the Metro (Linea A) to the "Spagna" stop. (For Spanish Steps). I suggest walking from Spanish Steps to Trevi Fountain, which is not very far.

I think the OP is asking which train station, not which metro station...?

If that's the case, the train station closest is Termini, then you can get on the Metro (Linea A) to the "Spagna" stop. (For Spanish Steps). I suggest walking from Spanish Steps to Trevi Fountain, which is not very far.

Oops! My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums