Sailing Soon on PRIDE Eastern Itinerary - Any Questions?

ShakyBeef

On September 25th, my family (DH, me, DD(14), and DD(10)) will be cruising on Carnival Pride, on the 7-Day Eastern Caribbean (Freeport, GT, HMC) itinerary. We will have Cheers!, the Private Oasis at HMC, an Ocean Suite, FTTF, and Early Dining. We will be dining at David's Steakhouse at least once. We will not be using the kids' clubs, or the pools or hot tubs onboard, or the spa, or the gym. And we won't be spending any time at Margaritaville on GT, either.:o

Does anybody have any questions that I can try to find the answers to while on my cruise? Even if your question is about one of the venues we will not be using, I'm still willing to try to find the answers. Time and circumstances permitting, I'll try my best to get all the answers and report back on this thread, or maybe even in a review, when I return. I leave in just over two weeks, so you've got a little while to pose all those so-far unanswered cruise questions that are keeping you awake at night.

We sail on the same itinerary in October...can't wait! What will you be doing in GT? That port seems to be a mystery to us as to what to do because we don't really want to go to Margaritaville.

Will you use the gym at all? Just curious what type of things are in there.

Grand Oasis is pretty sweet! How far in advance did you have to book it?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes it is, the last time we were on this itinerary, a friend of ours booked it and our whole cruise buddies group chipped in and shared a truly lovely day there.:) After that day and a few times since, DH has said he thinks he's been spoiled by the PO, now.

This time around, as we were planning a cruise to take our DDs on this itinerary for their first time, DH actually insisted that if we were taking a cruise that stopped in HMC, he wanted the PO.:eek:

I wasn't going to look a gift PO in the mouth:p, so I scrambled to find which of our 2 possible sailing dates still had the PO open. As it turns out, it was only this one, so I jumped on it. I was so nervous that it would get booked between the time I finalized the booking with my PVP, and the time that I could click the "buy now" button on my shore excursion page. (I had to wait until my booking number was in the system, attached to the correct saildate, because we had changed dates from a June sailing, but kept the same booking number.)

So, I booked the PO (and FTTF) within a couple minutes of booking the cruise, about 9 months out from the sail date.:)

We sail on the same itinerary in October...can't wait! What will you be doing in GT? That port seems to be a mystery to us as to what to do because we don't really want to go to Margaritaville.

We're planning on doing our "usual" on GT: walking straight through Margaritaville without stopping, out to the beach, right past the big, scary sign warning you that you are leaving the nice, safe, port area:rolleyes:, and humping it down the beach to Jack's Shack.

We hope for another nice day of DIY snorkeling (we have our own gear), playing with "Topher" (the official greeter dog of JS), bobbing around in the turquoise water, eating cracked conch and other favourites, and drinking a couple mixed drinks (for me) and beers (for DH) and mocktails (for DDs).

The girls have gotten souvenirs from JS, and have seen our pictures, and have heard our stories, and they have asked to go, so they can experience it all for themselves. I don't mean to build it up too much, here. It's not an amazing beach resort or anything, just a little beach bar with OK food, decent drinks, music turned up way too loud:(:o, friendly people, and a gorgeous beach. We've seen it almost empty, where it felt like we pretty much had the place to ourselves, and also very busy. We never know what we're going to get when we go, but we think it beats Magaritaville.

I'm sorry, I forgot to answer about the gym. No, we won't be using the gym. But I don't mind popping in there and snapping a picture or asking a question of the staff. Are you just interested in knowing the types and rough number of machines, and the general layout? For that, I can snap some pictures on Embarkation Day, when it'll be empty.

Yes it is, the last time we were on this itinerary, a friend of ours booked it and our whole cruise buddies group chipped in and shared a truly lovely day there.:) After that day and a few times since, DH has said he thinks he's been spoiled by the PO, now.

This time around, as we were planning a cruise to take our DDs on this itinerary for their first time, DH actually insisted that if we were taking a cruise that stopped in HMC, he wanted the PO.:eek:

I wasn't going to look a gift PO in the mouth:p, so I scrambled to find which of our 2 possible sailing dates still had the PO open. As it turns out, it was only this one, so I jumped on it. I was so nervous that it would get booked between the time I finalized the booking with my PVP, and the time that I could click the "buy now" button on my shore excursion page. (I had to wait until my booking number was in the system, attached to the correct saildate, because we had changed dates from a June sailing, but kept the same booking number.)

So, I booked the PO (and FTTF) within a couple minutes of booking the cruise, about 9 months out from the sail date.:)

Sounds well thought out. You mentioned you are driving in the day of, can I ask how far that is (we are about 4 1/2 hours away)? Sailing out of Baltimore is easy.

We're planning on doing our "usual" on GT: walking straight through Margaritaville without stopping, out to the beach, right past the big, scary sign warning you that you are leaving the nice, safe, port area:rolleyes:, and humping it down the beach to Jack's Shack.

We hope for another nice day of DIY snorkeling (we have our own gear), playing with "Topher" (the official greeter dog of JS), bobbing around in the turquoise water, eating cracked conch and other favourites, and drinking a couple mixed drinks (for me) and beers (for DH) and mocktails (for DDs).

The girls have gotten souvenirs from JS, and have seen our pictures, and have heard our stories, and they have asked to go, so they can experience it all for themselves. I don't mean to build it up too much, here. It's not an amazing beach resort or anything, just a little beach bar with OK food, decent drinks, music turned up way too loud:(:o, friendly people, and a gorgeous beach. We've seen it almost empty, where it felt like we pretty much had the place to ourselves, and also very busy. We never know what we're going to get when we go, but we think it beats Magaritaville.

Every time we go to JS, I never see Topher. :( I have been trying to see him forever. Maybe this time.

See you onboard.

Sounds well thought out. You mentioned you are driving in the day of, can I ask how far that is (we are about 4 1/2 hours away)? Sailing out of Baltimore is easy.

We live about 2 1/2 hours away from the port, on the Eastern Shore. But I grew up in Laurel, MD, just twenty minutes from the port, and my parents still live there. Sometimes we will drive to their house the morning of the cruise, and one of them will drop us off at the port.:)

We love the convenience of cruising out of Baltimore - so close to home, and a well-run port operation!:)

Every time we go to JS, I never see Topher. :( I have been trying to see him forever. Maybe this time.

See you onboard.

He was away on vacation one time when we visited. But the last time we were there, our whole group and several others in the water there took turns being Topher's water lounge chair :p - he would come swimming up to someone who was standing in the water, and just not stop swimming until he was in their arms. He would expect you to hold him like that for a while, then eventually, he would move onto someone else, or go back to digging at the shoreline. He's a goof.:) See ya soon!:D

We live about 2 1/2 hours away from the port, on the Eastern Shore. But I grew up in Laurel, MD, just twenty minutes from the port, and my parents still live there. Sometimes we will drive to their house the morning of the cruise, and one of them will drop us off at the port.:)

We love the convenience of cruising out of Baltimore - so close to home, and a well-run port operation!:)

When Carnival brought the Pride there, we were invited down on Carnival's nickel to experience the inner harbor, the Pride (which we already knew) with the hopes of selling it more. I was very much impressed with the inner harbor area (I know the ship does not sail from there) since my last visit in the late 70's. My only complaint is I wish they had a more varied itinerary from there, the one you are doing (and the only one we will sail from there) is far superior then the other one. Journey cruises from there on more Bermuda would be great.

I'm sorry, I forgot to answer about the gym. No, we won't be using the gym. But I don't mind popping in there and snapping a picture or asking a question of the staff. Are you just interested in knowing the types and rough number of machines, and the general layout? For that, I can snap some pictures on Embarkation Day, when it'll be empty.

Yes, that's all I'm really intersted in knowing...because, ya know. I have good intentions and all...but who knows if I'll actually go to the gym while I'm on vacation. :rolleyes:

We actually booked an excursion...which we don't normally do...but were wondering what to do afterwards. Maybe we will head down to Jack's Shack! I did get the coupon for the free shot of rum. LOL

When Carnival brought the Pride there, we were invited down on Carnival's nickel to experience the inner harbor, the Pride (which we already knew) with the hopes of selling it more. I was very much impressed with the inner harbor area (I know the ship does not sail from there) since my last visit in the late 70's. My only complaint is I wish they had a more varied itinerary from there, the one you are doing (and the only one we will sail from there) is far superior then the other one. Journey cruises from there on more Bermuda would be great.

I'm glad they've added a Bermuda itinerary, and hope to do it soon. And I'd love to do a Journeys cruise from Baltimore, but DH doesn't feel comfortable leaving work for more than 10 days at a time, so that's been the longest cruise we can take - 10 days. But on that note, do you know that RCI has some very nice 10-day and longer itineraries from Baltimore, on Grandeur of the Seas?;) GotS is a very nice ship, similar in a lot of ways to the Spirit class, and she provides more variety out of Baltimore.:D

Yes, that's all I'm really intersted in knowing...because, ya know. I have good intentions and all...but who knows if I'll actually go to the gym while I'm on vacation. :rolleyes:

OK, sure, I'll pop in there on Embarkation Day and snap a few pictures. And that will be my only venture into the gym, because I'm allergic to exercise. I could be using that word wrong - allergic means I really, really hate it, right?:o

We actually booked an excursion...which we don't normally do...but were wondering what to do afterwards. Maybe we will head down to Jack's Shack! I did get the coupon for the free shot of rum. LOL

Thanks for reminding me! I haven't printed out our coupons yet this time.:eek::)

I'm glad they've added a Bermuda itinerary, and hope to do it soon. And I'd love to do a Journeys cruise from Baltimore, but DH doesn't feel comfortable leaving work for more than 10 days at a time, so that's been the longest cruise we can take - 10 days. But on that note, do you know that RCI has some very nice 10-day and longer itineraries from Baltimore, on Grandeur of the Seas?;) GotS is a very nice ship, similar in a lot of ways to the Spirit class, and she provides more variety out of Baltimore.:D

I do appreciate that you are always looking out to help expand my cruising boundaries.

Sent from my iPhone