Torn Meniscus

So we are supposed to sail on October 1, but it appears I have torn my meniscus. I saw the surgeon today and will be having an MRI early next week, and a follow up with the surgeon next Thursday. After many tears and much negotiation and downright begging on my part, he agreed to wait until after the MRI results to insist I cancel the cruise. If it is a small tear he is willing to let me go even though it will mean a bit of pain on my part, but if it is a complete tear I will have to have surgery right away. If I do go he says I need to get a scooter. Anyway, with the appointment not until Thursday and we leave for our cruise the following Wednesday (we do have insurance should we have to cancel) is there enough time to arrange for a scooter? Has anybody else had to cancel last minute for medical reasons? We did buy the Carnival insurance (yes, I know I could have done better on my own, but didn't know anything about that before) and our PVP is aware of the situation and trying to offer us guidance (she is absolutely amazing), but I'd like to hear the real experience of real people. How big of a hassle is this going to be either way?

So we are supposed to sail on October 1, but it appears I have torn my meniscus. I saw the surgeon today and will be having an MRI early next week, and a follow up with the surgeon next Thursday. After many tears and much negotiation and downright begging on my part, he agreed to wait until after the MRI results to insist I cancel the cruise. If it is a small tear he is willing to let me go even though it will mean a bit of pain on my part, but if it is a complete tear I will have to have surgery right away. If I do go he says I need to get a scooter. Anyway, with the appointment not until Thursday and we leave for our cruise the following Wednesday (we do have insurance should we have to cancel) is there enough time to arrange for a scooter? Has anybody else had to cancel last minute for medical reasons? We did buy the Carnival insurance (yes, I know I could have done better on my own, but didn't know anything about that before) and our PVP is aware of the situation and trying to offer us guidance (she is absolutely amazing), but I'd like to hear the real experience of real people. How big of a hassle is this going to be either way?

My father in law fell when we arrived in Barcelona. He made it through the cruise, but he was in a lot of pain. We used one of Carnival's wheelchairs which helped greatly. I am not sure about scooters. Good luck!

Ok, I have experience with this one. 6 weeks before my first trip to Europe (one week on land, one week by cruise ship) in 2014, I broke my heel. I was 12 weeks non weight bearing, with possible surgery. EVERYONE, including my doctors, said that I absolutely had to cancel. I was going to London, Paris, Venice, and cruising the Greek islands for a week. AND, not only was it my first time to Europe, but I was going alone with just my 16 and 11 year old children. Long story short, I did not cancel. I had my doctor take me out of the hard cast and put me in a boot. I had crutches and a knee scooter.

I had a fabulous time and never regretted it. It was a bit tiring getting around the land part, especially Venice, but I managed to see and do most of what I had planned. The cruise was the easiest part. Wow, the crew went out of their way to help me. It was incredible. Don't listen to people who say that it will be impossible to get around Europe. That just is not true. And I found that everyone was very understanding, helpful, and accommodating.

Yes, I tired easy. I did have to take it a bit easier than I would have. But I was also determined. I went up 400 steps, with no handrail, over rocks and gravel......on crutches to see the Parthenon in Athens.

So I say, it really depends on you. If the pain isn't driving you crazy, I would go for it.

Now as for canceling when you have the insurance, I had to do that once as well. I had a one week trip booked to the Bahamas to stay at the big resort there, when I found out I was expecting my 4th child at age 41. Being that it was a high risk pregnancy, my doctor wrote a letter, and I got every cent back.

Ok, I have experience with this one. 6 weeks before my first trip to Europe (one week on land, one week by cruise ship) in 2014, I broke my heel. I was 12 weeks non weight bearing, with possible surgery. EVERYONE, including my doctors, said that I absolutely had to cancel. I was going to London, Paris, Venice, and cruising the Greek islands for a week. AND, not only was it my first time to Europe, but I was going alone with just my 16 and 11 year old children. Long story short, I did not cancel. I had my doctor take me out of the hard cast and put me in a boot. I had crutches and a knee scooter.

I had a fabulous time and never regretted it. It was a bit tiring getting around the land part, especially Venice, but I managed to see and do most of what I had planned. The cruise was the easiest part. Wow, the crew went out of their way to help me. It was incredible. Don't listen to people who say that it will be impossible to get around Europe. That just is not true. And I found that everyone was very understanding, helpful, and accommodating.

Yes, I tired easy. I did have to take it a bit easier than I would have. But I was also determined. I went up 400 steps, with no handrail, over rocks and gravel......on crutches to see the Parthenon in Athens.

So I say, it really depends on you. If the pain isn't driving you crazy, I would go for it.

Now as for canceling when you have the insurance, I had to do that once as well. I had a one week trip booked to the Bahamas to stay at the big resort there, when I found out I was expecting my 4th child at age 41. Being that it was a high risk pregnancy, my doctor wrote a letter, and I got every cent back.

Thank you so much! I tend to have a high tolerance for pain and a stubborn streak to match it. Your words are definitely encouraging! Probably won't be climbing the steps to the Parthenon but at least I will be able to see it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My husband just had a scope done last month to repair a torn meniscus and he was up and walking right away, back to normal stuff within a week, why couldn't you sail with it? Or is it that long plane ride that is the issue? I wouldn't think a scope is really any big thing. He was relieved of pain almost immediately, only needed pain meds the first day then Tylenol was sufficient for pain control.

Depends on the size of the tear but ask about a cortisone injection and go on the cruise. Get a compression knee brace. I wouldn't go right into surgery unless you are in extreme pain and your knee locks up. We leave for a 3 week trip in a week and my DH has a torn meniscus.

Karen - I love to Travel

12/2016 ~ Carnival Splendor So. Caribbean

9/2016 ~ Gate 1 Russian River Cruise

7/2015 ~ Carnival Legends Alaska

The MRI will tell us. Dr. said if it's a minor tear surgery can wait but if it's "torn loose" surgery shouldn't be put off because it can cause permanent joint damage. I have a rather intense brace that he insists I wear to stabilize my knee. He said because there is so much fluid on my knee that means there was a lot of bleeding so he believes it is a bad tear. The pain isn't bad, so that won't stop me, just the risk of permanent damage will stop me.

Inquiring minds want to know....What did the MRI say?

I ask because I was in a similar situation and found my pain was coming from a strained Medial Collateral Ligament and not the torn meniscus. Wore a neoprene knee brace to reduce twisting for about a month and all better!

Yay! So glad you get to go.

I don't know your cabin situation. It may be too late to do anything about it, but I'd recommend a cabin in the back of the ship, if you can switch. That will minimize how much walking you absolutely need to do. From that location, you can take the elevator up to the buffet, and down to the dining room, with very little walking.

Good luck! Have a great trip.

Thank you! I may check into that!

DH tore his Achilles last year, and we cruised right after he got his boot off. We booked last-minute, and wound up with a guarantee balcony (on Holland) that was in the back of the ship, near the aft elevators. It was PERFECT! We had no idea that it would be so convenient for someone just coming off an injury like that. Good luck to you. :)