Flight delay

• 2 months later...

Just had an email today saying we qualify for compensation for our 9 hour delay in June and our cheque will arrive within 28 days. €400 euros each or £682 pounds. We claimed in June so a long wait but it was very straightforward. Just filled in the contact form on the website. No further paperwork required.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I received an $800 flight coupon from United for a 3+ hr delay leaving Amsterdam to Washington DC this past March. They didn't offer it, I had to pursue the EU rule. They didn't fight too hard, eventually offered the coupon or cash but cash was less and I used the coupon no problem.

How much more than 3 hours Rusty ?

It needs to be 6 hours or more to claim the full rate of compensation.

Not sure what the entitlement is for less than 6 hours - but you got a decent result by the looks of things - a nice little earner, as they say over here.

Had a nine hour delay from Tenerife in November last year. Thomson fobbed us off for four months, saying that we were not entitled to anything as it was due to extra ordinary circumstances ( cracked windscreen). European court ruling stated that technical reasons cannot be used by airline. Eventually took them to Small Claims Court and was paid within three weeks. A simple online formality to do.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nice one Sheila, well done.

I wonder what the position will be when the UK exits the EU ?

Maybe it'll only apply for return journeys from EU countries ?

We were worried they would drag it out till Brexit so we claimed days after we got back.

If anyone else is waiting they are dealing with the claims in the order they were received.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks for that but the CAA no longer take this on they have given me loads of advice of who to contact which is all ongoing but if all else fails I will use one of NWNF lawyers and take the hit of the costs. Fortunately Thomson have provided me with their landing times, in writing, which are way off the official timing's, but the bottom line is we had a great holiday and if nothing comes of this it will not stop us going again.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

You may or may not know we just love the Thomson experience and have over fifty cruises under our belt with them and have only ever had a couple of problems with them one did go to court but they did not turn up, so we won the case, but non of this would stop us cruising with them as its only, IMO, the UK admin that is the problem and we will not let this stop us enjoying our cruises.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Thomson did not contest my claim having told me three times that I did not have a case.

It's not good for their image, as far as holidays and cruises that we have taken with them, we have never had a problem bar this one flight.

Going back 10 years it was a regular thing to have a three hour delay. EU regulations have been helpful to the travellers, wonder if it will change when we leave the EU.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief update on our claim, the CAA have confirmed the 'wheels on tarmac' time as being that which Thomson gave being two mins inside the three hours, fortunately for us in Sep 2014 a court ruled on what constitutes a landing time and its when a door is first opened on the plane not touch down 😁,which may be of use to someone else 😉. Will keep you updated but feel it will still take a while, but I can wait. Happy New year everyone 😜

Sent from my b1-720 using Forums mobile app

Good news Pensioncruiser, The new TUI Thomson will try and wriggle out of anything not like the good old Thomson who were very fair and held customer service as a high priority.

The head office attitude seems to be totally different to the people at the sharp end who are trying to do their level best for you. I expect there are many others like us who are looking elsewhere other than the Thomson product for their holidays.