Future Cruise Question

ncbn0902

We are trying to figure out what would be the better cruise to take next fall. The first one is from Barcelona to Tampa and the other would be New Jersey to Texas. We have never been overseas before and would love to see Spain even if it's only one day before the cruise. The thing that is worrying to us is that we can't see how much a flight would be to Barcelona. We have done dummy flights and the cheapest flight we could find was around $1600 each. Any thoughts or other ideas about flights over to Spain would be helpful.

Thanks for the help

We are trying to figure out what would be the better cruise to take next fall. The first one is from Barcelona to Tampa and the other would be New Jersey to Texas. We have never been overseas before and would love to see Spain even if it's only one day before the cruise. The thing that is worrying to us is that we can't see how much a flight would be to Barcelona. We have done dummy flights and the cheapest flight we could find was around $1600 each. Any thoughts or other ideas about flights over to Spain would be helpful.

Thanks for the help

If you use Royal's Air2Sea (Choice Air), you should be able to find one-way flights in the $500-$600 range, per person. At around 11 months before the flights, you can check out this website to see prices:

http://www.choiceair.com

Barcelona to Tampa - repo cruise, correct? If so, that's one way air, so yes, it's more expensive doing one way flights. That's the down side of doing repositioning cruises.

When is the Barcelona cruise to Tampa? We're on one out of there next June on Brilliance, but we're flying round trip from Dulles to Barcelona. Haven't booked the flights yet, but we seriously should do it and soon.

PS - Thanks Clarea. Always good info from you. Now I am going to see about choice air as an option, I gather it's cheaper than going on your own?

Edited by johnjen

... PS - Thanks Clarea. Always good info from you. Now I am going to see about choice air as an option, I gather it's cheaper than going on your own?

Much cheaper for one-way international flights. However, be sure to check once the 11 month mark has passed. My experience is that some airlines might show flights on Choice Air over a year in advance, but those prices change radically once all the airlines publish prices at the 11 month mark.

I believe the Barcelona cruise was either Oct or Nov 2017.

We were thinking about booking while we are on Anthem in November. Hoping for a good cyber Monday deal since we will be on board that day.

You should book now. If the prices are the same or lower when you are on board just cancel and rebook. If the prices have gone up (very probable) then you are better off by booking now.

Thanks for the help

If your dummy booking is for fall of 2017, you will get the airline's published fare. We usually travel to Europe in October and fare is usually $700-$900 R/T. It is not a peak season. Your O/W fare should be lower than $1600. We start to monitor fares 5 months prior to travel.

Thanks for the help

Try to get 3 or 4 days in Barcelona. You can hardly see it in one day, I know I tried. Biggest mistake we have made in travel is only getting to Barcelona the day before our cruise. By the time you drop your bags and rush to either Las Ramblas or the Sagrada Familia Cathedral you are exhausted and you still need to go to Gaudi park and several of his buildings, then the market and food.

Try to get 3 or 4 days in Barcelona. You can hardly see it in one day, I know I tried. Biggest mistake we have made in travel is only getting to Barcelona the day before our cruise. By the time you drop your bags and rush to either Las Ramblas or the Sagrada Familia Cathedral you are exhausted and you still need to go to Gaudi park and several of his buildings, then the market and food.

Very sound advice. We're in for Brilliance out of Barcelona June next year and realized from past travels over to Europe that we lose a day - you leave in the evening of xx and you arrive the following day - we're going to book our flights so that we have at least TWO days before cruising. This way, DW gets to see Barcelona a bit before we depart on the cruise.