Cruising to South America on the Zaandam : A pictorial review

scubacruiserx2

We are taking the Zaandam cruise in December 2016 (Not long now)

Your photos are amazing. Any photographic tips would be greatly appreciated. How did you find taking the glacier photos, did you need to adjust the exposure compensation to get the true white colours? I would love to capture some photos like yours. Was there a particular area on the Zaandam that was a good spot for taking photos?

Thanks for any tips. I have loved looking at you photos, they are truly stunning.

We are taking the Zaandam cruise in December 2016 (Not long now)

Your photos are amazing. Any photographic tips would be greatly appreciated. How did you find taking the glacier photos, did you need to adjust the exposure compensation to get the true white colours? I would love to capture some photos like yours. Was there a particular area on the Zaandam that was a good spot for taking photos?

Thanks for any tips. I have loved looking at you photos, they are truly stunning.

Congratulations on your trip to Antarctica , we haven't been there but we hope to go in the future . We're happy that you like the photos and will soon be taking your own . And thank you for asking for tips . Can you change settings on your camera ?

1. I take several shots of the same subject with different camera settings like Sports action ( running man icon ) and Landscape setting ( mountains icon ) .

2. Zoom in and out .

Glacier close up

IMG_1092-001_zpsfb2b5f94.jpg

Glacier wide angle shows the glacier in the distance and the ship , and people in the foreground .

IMG_1106-001_zps6a18ca3b.jpg

3. Change location and views of the same subject , a variation of zoom in and out .

Glacier from the Port side

IMG_1844-002_zps54f60d00.jpg

Glacier from the less crowded Starboard side

IMG_9360%20Stitch-001_zpsxnyb145t.jpg

You can also shoot the aft and so this is a good spot .

IMG_9348%20Stitch-001_zpssqhyzugj.jpg

Oh , don't forget the warm clothes and sunglasses !!! :cool:

Oh thank you so much for your reply.

Yes I can change my settings and also feel comfortable using aperture priority.

Did you use any filters at all. I have bought a circular polarizer to help cut the glare and intensify the colours in Antarctica. I have two lenses a 40-150mm (with a 1x4 convertor) and a 12-40 mm lens both f2.8 pro lenses so I hope to get clear sharp shots too.

Thanks again...love your photos

Did you use any filters at all. I have bought a circular polarizer to help cut the glare and intensify the colours in Antarctica. I have two lenses a 40-150mm (with a 1x4 convertor) and a 12-40 mm lens both f2.8 pro lenses so I hope to get clear sharp shots too.

Don't forget to post some when you get home!

You're welcome , again !! :) :D

I use UV filters to prevent scratches and protect if dropped ( yes I did drop a lens which survived , but the filter broke ! ) :eek:

The circular polarizer sounds like a great choice for the snow and glare . And yes I do compensate by underexposing sometimes . Because of the wind , sea spray and cold I was reluctant to change lenses and I was fortunate that my DW allowed me to purchase a small , second SLR and thus my lenses stayed mated to their bodies with a few exceptions . Both of my cameras have straps . A chest mount for the larger and a wrist strap for the smaller , to prevent drops and allow me to dangle one while shooting with the other .

L1090663-001_zpsb8zhnlxk.jpg

I'm sure that you will get some great photos and have a great time . And as cruisingherrons said , please share some photos with us here or give us a link if you choose to write a review !

The weather for the ride out to the glacier was picture perfect

IMG_015420Stitch-001_zpsl7dhhje4.jpg

in fact , good enough for a game of ice basketball

IMG_3127_zpsgoycarzi.jpg

but the ball kept sticking to player's hands !!

IMG_3133_zpslh8qnifg.jpg

With the back lighting , the glacier seemed to glow

IMG_3151_zpsr0vwtjiq.jpg

And , just before we were leaving , my wife detected some movement on the glacier

IMG_3156-001_zps6a7d4e65.jpg

My long zoom was in the backpack so I had to use the medium lens . But you can see the shapes of hikers on the glacier. Notice the amazing size of the glacier !!

IMG_3158-001_zpsc24df0cf.jpg

Edited by scubacruiserx2
  • Like 1

Scubax2, many, many thanks for your spectacular photo essay of your trip around the Horn! Immensely impressive and gorgeous - every shot! I wanted to post here so frequently to tell you how much I appreciate the effort that went into putting it together and on the beauty of your photos, but decided I had to wait till the end.

Here I am after two days of viewing to give you a loud THANK YOU! I'll be directing my sister to this thread which just might convince her to take this cruise in the future. Here's hoping, as it has been on my list for years.

Donna

Scubax2' date=' many, many thanks for your spectacular photo essay of your trip around the Horn! Immensely impressive and gorgeous - every shot! I wanted to post here so frequently to tell you how much I appreciate the effort that went into putting it together and on the beauty of your photos, but decided I had to wait till the end.

Here I am after two days of viewing to give you a loud THANK YOU! I'll be directing my sister to this thread which just might convince her to take this cruise in the future. Here's hoping, as it has been on my list for years.

Donna[/quote']

And thank you for writing in with those encouraging words . We are glad that you enjoyed the photos and hope that you will be able to do this cruise or the one with Antarctica . :) :D

On the rocks ?

IMG_3078_zpsq44ddlad.jpg

As we were very near the face of the glacier , clouds and the wind came up very suddenly blowing spray off the this ice chunk .

IMG_3146-001_zpsigttfjxy.jpg

We returned to port very quickly , but it seemed to pass as suddenly as it came up .

IMG_0159_zpswaa4k6uh.jpg

Thus we began solwly heading back toward El Calafate with some photo stops along the way .

IMG_3199_zpseepnourg.jpg

IMG_3159_zpsiiz9yxwh.jpg

IMG_3176_zpsdeyyn3ca.jpg

A stop at the overlook

IMG_3164_zpse41e75cd.jpg

I thought that this would be a nice backdrop for a photo of my DW

IMG_0163_zpsbp6njcfx.jpg

IMG_3167_zpsb2yhwmdt.jpg

Closer to the ledge

IMG_0161_zpssiosresc.jpg

And while we were here an Andean condor soared over head . I had hoped that it would fly closer toward the glacier , but this was it .

IMG_3175-001_zpseh1k3yot.jpg

But it did fly a bit closer to us .

IMG_3172-001_zpsupejwdvz.jpg

• Thanks 1

We had brought a box lunch with us from our hotel and we found a nice place to eat it . The snow melt from the mountains in the South American Spring time formed a nice riverlet

IMG_3181_zpstvkf5oir.jpg

which ran into the river below .

IMG_3197_zpszsxy9gtd.jpg

There was a small waterfall there

f681e4b9-1952-4e69-b621-ca4dd0ab62bc_zpsh0h4bdzh.jpg

Video clip:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL-c3uPQflg&feature=c4-overview&list=UUgn8BrrJIoeyp3pD3LqhoRA

And while some rather large bees bumbled , we enjoyed some lunch also .

IMG_3222_zpsirkj8e99.jpg

The photos are so beautiful. I forget, did you say when you were there? I am thinking of going in Dec/Jan, is that the same time? I just can't imagine the temperature variations since it appears it will be in the 90s in parts and then down to cold weather for the glaciers etc. Maybe I better buy some bigger luggage (lol). Thanks again for the great pics and all the other info you have provided. I am in for an amazing trip and I owe it all to my friend for suggesting it and your photos

for the inspiration.

Donna H.

Great pics! Brings back great memories on our cruise with NCL Dream. That was the last trip for The Dream as she was heading up to Boston for refitting. And I believe she was sold shortly after that. We remember going around Cape Horn and because it was her last trip, the lighthouse gave us a big salute with the fog horns with the ship also sounding the horn. Very memorable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The photos are so beautiful. I forget, did you say when you were there? I am thinking of going in Dec/Jan, is that the same time? I just can't imagine the temperature variations since it appears it will be in the 90s in parts and then down to cold weather for the glaciers etc. Maybe I better buy some bigger luggage (lol). Thanks again for the great pics and all the other info you have provided. I am in for an amazing trip and I owe it all to my friend for suggesting it and your photos

for the inspiration.

Donna H.

This trip was our second trip to SA and was made on or about 11-29 - 2013 thru 12 -18 2013 . We flew from MIA to EZE and spent the night in BA . The next morning we flew over the Andes to Santiago and boarded the ship .

L1090107-001_zps77b616b4.jpg

L1090113-001_zps68ef66cb.jpg

We saw snow flakes on the Orsorno Volcano , sleet on the day before Ushuaia and record heat with a power outage in our hotel in BA on the night before we returned to the US . Did we forget to mention near hurricane wind gusts on our return drive to El Calafate ? ( more later )

They don't call southern SA the roaring 40's or furious 50's for nothing !! :eek:

Thus the weather there can be a lion or a lamb , by probably both . ;)

35ff306a-84da-41bd-8b83-101087b9c6ba_zpsmwsxewly.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roaring_Forties

The last photo and article link are from Wikipedia

SCUBACRUISERX2 - Thanks so much for the info. I won't be going until 2018/19, but it wouldn't be me if I didn't over think everything. Check the prices, check the airfare, check the average temps, etc, etc, etc. Your pictures are so inspiring that this has become #1 on my "to do" list. Thanks again for sharing!

Donna

Great pics! Brings back great memories on our cruise with NCL Dream. That was the last trip for The Dream as she was heading up to Boston for refitting. And I believe she was sold shortly after that. We remember going around Cape Horn and because it was her last trip, the lighthouse gave us a big salute with the fog horns with the ship also sounding the horn. Very memorable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow , your first post , we are honored !!

We too were NCL Dreamer's ! Our first cruise to Europe ( Baltic ) was on the Dream in 2006 . It was the largest cruise ship to use the Kiel Canal in Germany as a shortcut to the Baltic . They were able to flip their funnel in order to clear low bridges there , while a German brass band played .

Europe200620004_zpsvrapf62y.jpg

The following year we did our first SA cruise leaving from and returning to Valparaiso , Chile in early November , 2007 .

PICT0180_zpsbdbfi0xv.jpg

PICT0170_zps40kix5fe.jpg

PICT0172_zpsesgins7x.jpg

PICT0011_zpswsigrpwj.jpg

PICT0029_zpsb9gedir0.jpg

The weather on our first cruise was not as nice as our HAL cruise . Here's snow , ice and gray skies in the Amalia Glacier where some of the crew went out to capture a small bit of the glacier .

94bfa242-5e42-4e69-a0c4-c190f626b080_zpshq9mdpst.jpg

A trophy catch !

9dfab52c-3269-4223-9266-e27c53d15170_zpsvauntfc4.jpg

Glacier Alley

PICT0101_zpsc4usuxty.jpg

PICT0099_zpsqp5bjzc6.jpg

We didn't go around the horn , but we did get to spend the night in Ushuaia and had a nice dinner here .

PICT0110_zpschtbjz2r.jpg

And on the next day we went up a ski lift near the Martial Glacier .

PICT0140_zpscx55ggov.jpg