San Pedro

brian1

There are, for all intent and purpose, five hotels in San Pedro: The Crowne Plaza, the Doubletree, the Best Western, the Vagabond and the Sunrise. There is also an America’s Best Value Inn which is technically not in San Pedro but in Rancho Palos Verdes—but right across Western Avenue from San Pedro. Aside from these six, there may be a few other places a google search might find which will say “hotel” but which really don’t qualify as a place any tourist would venture to stay—for various reasons.

Of those six, only the Crowne Plaza and Doubletree are very well recommended—both have, in the past, rated 3.5 stars on Priceline. After those, the Best Western gets decent reviews but is not as nice a hotel and not in as good a location. Neither the Vagabond nor the Sunrise get very good reviews.

#1 could be either the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree. #2 might be that Hotwire has downgraded one of them...or that they've raised the Best Western to 3 stars. Those 2 star hotels are likely the Vagabond and Sunrise.

With those prices Option #1 should be a no-brainer.

So in your "professional" opinion there is no way the Best Western is the 3.5 star?, and option #1 is either Crowne or Doubletree.

So in your "professional" opinion there is no way the Best Western is the 3.5 star?, and option #1 is either Crowne or Doubletree.

Well...I am not a "professional"...but, yes,,,3.5 stars can either be the Crowne Plaza or Doubletree...No way the Best Western rates 3.5 stars.

I meant my last post to say that the Best Western had a 4 star ratings by TripAdvisor and Expedia.

Actually, I think you are a bit misguided as to what star ratings are.

First of all, Expedia has the Best Western with a generous three stars. What you are probably looking at is their customer review section...same as you are seeing with trip advisor. Those are not star ratings. Those are the average of the rating numbers given the hotel by people who have posted reviews on their web sites. Of course, you always need to weigh carefully what customer reviews mean. A lot of times, people booking lower end motels tend to have lower expectations...so, their reviews often just reflect the hotel meeting or exceeding those low expectations. People booking true 4 or 5 star hotels tend to have very high expectations, so the slightest issue drops the review.

Generally recognized "star ratings" are based on a lot of quality and amenity issues.

The AAA, for example, defines its "Diamond rating" standards as following:

1 Diamond: Budget-oriented, offering basic comfort and hospitality.

2 Diamonds: Affordable, with modestly enhanced facilities, decor and amenities.

3 Diamonds: Distinguished, multifaceted with enhanced physical attributes, amenities and guest comforts.

4 Diamonds: Refined, stylish with upscale physical attributes, extensive amenities and a high degree of hospitality, service and attention to detail.

5 Diamonds: Ultimate luxury, sophistication and comfort with extraordinary physical attributes, meticulous personalized service, extensive amenities and impeccable standards of excellence.

Most organizations that award star ratings give amenity related criteria such as: Does the hotel provide a full service restaurant? Heated pool and jacuzzi? Weight/exercise room? Spa and salon facilities? Meeting rooms? Secured covered parking? Bellhop services? Concierge desk? And so on...

The SAN Pedro Best Western would never merit 4 or 5 star status by anyone's rating system. It is pretty much a budget motel. AAA rates it, properly, as TWO DIAMONDS:

http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiFuMn80NjPAhVHZX4KHSoECW4YABAA&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASIuRo58_nu4ojM5EAUCxH8U8itBsQXVoVA9ubgsb5E8iZyHE&sig=AOD64_3QttAVlICyXkQWgRhIrM6jhaZUbA&ved=0ahUKEwj4kcX80NjPAhXGh1QKHSIbBegQ0QwIDA&adurl=

As a 2 diamond or 2 star property, it is not bad...it is well reviewed by those who have stayed there.

OTOH, it is not a full-service hotel..it is at an inferior location...not near most of the restaurants or tourist sites...It is located on a heavily trafficked street, right where the 110 freeway dumps out onto the streets of San Pedro...compared to the Crowne Plaza--which is a nice hotel in the heart of San Pedro and very close to the terminal --and to the Doubletree--which is a nice hotel in a serene, picturesque location on the water, the Best Western clearly is not in the class of the other two. That is not to say that some people won't find it acceptable and enjoy staying there, just to say it is in no way a 4 star and probably not even a 3star in most respectable rating services' estimates.

Actually, I think you are a bit misguided as to what star ratings are.

First of all, Expedia has the Best Western with a generous three stars. What you are probably looking at is their customer review section...same as you are seeing with trip advisor. Those are not star ratings. Those are the average of the rating numbers given the hotel by people who have posted reviews on their web sites. Of course, you always need to weigh carefully what customer reviews mean. A lot of times, people booking lower end motels tend to have lower expectations...so, their reviews often just reflect the hotel meeting or exceeding those low expectations. People booking true 4 or 5 star hotels tend to have very high expectations, so the slightest issue drops the review.

Generally recognized "star ratings" are based on a lot of quality and amenity issues.

The AAA, for example, defines its "Diamond rating" standards as following:

1 Diamond: Budget-oriented, offering basic comfort and hospitality.

2 Diamonds: Affordable, with modestly enhanced facilities, decor and amenities.

3 Diamonds: Distinguished, multifaceted with enhanced physical attributes, amenities and guest comforts.

4 Diamonds: Refined, stylish with upscale physical attributes, extensive amenities and a high degree of hospitality, service and attention to detail.

5 Diamonds: Ultimate luxury, sophistication and comfort with extraordinary physical attributes, meticulous personalized service, extensive amenities and impeccable standards of excellence.

Most organizations that award star ratings give amenity related criteria such as: Does the hotel provide a full service restaurant? Heated pool and jacuzzi? Weight/exercise room? Spa and salon facilities? Meeting rooms? Secured covered parking? Bellhop services? Concierge desk? And so on...

The SAN Pedro Best Western would never merit 4 or 5 star status by anyone's rating system. It is pretty much a budget motel. AAA rates it, properly, as TWO DIAMONDS:

http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwiFuMn80NjPAhVHZX4KHSoECW4YABAA&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASIuRo58_nu4ojM5EAUCxH8U8itBsQXVoVA9ubgsb5E8iZyHE&sig=AOD64_3QttAVlICyXkQWgRhIrM6jhaZUbA&ved=0ahUKEwj4kcX80NjPAhXGh1QKHSIbBegQ0QwIDA&adurl=

As a 2 diamond or 2 star property, it is not bad...it is well reviewed by those who have stayed there.

OTOH, it is not a full-service hotel..it is at an inferior location...not near most of the restaurants or tourist sites...It is located on a heavily trafficked street, right where the 110 freeway dumps out onto the streets of San Pedro...compared to the Crowne Plaza--which is a nice hotel in the heart of San Pedro and very close to the terminal --and to the Doubletree--which is a nice hotel in a serene, picturesque location on the water, the Best Western clearly is not in the class of the other two. That is not to say that some people won't find it acceptable and enjoy staying there, just to say it is in no way a 4 star and probably not even a 3star in most respectable rating services' estimates.

What is the difference with reading reviews from people who actually stayed there as opposed to your rating? Have you stayed at all of the hotels you post about? Have you stayed at the BW in San Pedro? I'm probably just as familiar with the L.A. area as you, so save the lecture about locations etc for those who aren't familiar with the Los Angeles area..

What is the difference with reading reviews from people who actually stayed there as opposed to your rating? Have you stayed at all of the hotels you post about? Have you stayed at the BW in San Pedro? I'm probably just as familiar with the L.A. area as you, so save the lecture about locations etc for those who aren't familiar with the Los Angeles area..

Husky, my friend...you miss the point.

They are two different things.

There are five star hotels that generally get poor reviews...and one star hotels that are well reviewed.

But this discussion was about trying to figure out which hotel a blind Hotwire listing was referring to. And those Hotwire and Priceline blind listings are not talking about reviews. They are trying to allude to the listed hotels in terms of the traditional star ratings. So, when they list a blind five star, you can count on it being a true luxury hotel-with all of the five star amenities and features...and not to a really well-reviewed Motel 6.

(And before anyone jumps on me there, no offense meant to Motel 6. I worked for 35 years as a corporate attorney and executive...and I got my start--the first few years of my career--as Corporate Counsel for Motel 6, Inc.)