Review Pacific Eden- Papua New Guinea

I thought I’d write a review of my cruise on Pacific Eden- 7 nights from Cairns to Papua New Guinea as there weren’t many reviews for PNG on here. I don’t usually bother writing reviews anymore as they end up being the same as the cruiser who lodged one before me so I apoligise if this is similar to someone elses!

I am a hopeless cruise-a-holic who is now spending the kids inheritance on my holidays. For this cruise I was a solo traveler. I am married -49 yr old female (just for prospective) with 3 young adult kids but none of my friends or family were able to come with me so I went alone.

I was lucky enough to get a balcony cabin at the last minute ( booked 2 weeks before departure) for a great singles price. It was originally booked as a guaranteed balcony but ended up being a triple balcony right near the back on deck 10. Great position on the same level as the serenity deck and one down from ‘The Pantry’ which was great as I could pop up and get a coffee in 1 minute! The cabin itself had a fridge and a spa bath which was a surprise. Tip- make sure you know how to take the plug out of the bath hole before having a bubble bath. I didn’t realise you have to turn the silver knob which is half way down the bath which when covered in bubbles is invisible. A double sofa bed and the rest was probably the same as the oceanview cabins. Loads of mirrors, hairdryer, makeup mirror, shampoo, conditioner, body wash. The water bottles and dressing gown are not free! I don’t normally touch the shampoo stuff but didn’t bring enough and used it twice. It was perfectly fine. It did have 2 faults. If using it as a triple the sofa bed would block your path to the balcony and you would need to stand on it to use the dresser. 2nd-There were 2 aussie power points but they were located under the dresser in the chair alcove near the floor. To use them you needed to get on all fours (or squat down) to plug something in. I mainly used them to charge my phone and had to leave it on the chair to charge as my cable wasn’t long enough. My suggestion is to bring a small extention cord. There were US power points ( I think they were US ones!) in the standard areas on the dresser. Only a shaver plug in the bathroom. Having a balcony was fantastic as a solo. I found the only time I felt alone was as dining times so I would take breakfast down and eat it on the balcony and in between things to do I could go back and sit on the balcony. I wouldn’t have done this with an oceanview or inside cabin.

Speaking of dining, the Pantry is a great idea. It has less choice but it is a lot more healthy, there is less fried foods and the staff serve you so it is 100% more hygienic. Pacific Eden has 3 free dining rooms-apart from the Pantry. The Waterfront- mixed choices, Angelos- Italian and Dragon Lady-Asian. I went to Angelos the first night at 5.30 and was the only one in there up until dessert. It was lovely. Next night I went to The Waterfront and got seated at a table for 2 right in the middle which made me feel uncomfortable sitting there for an hour twiddling my thumbs! I made friends with 2 lovely ladies and was going to join them at Angelos and Dragon lady on subsequent nights but they were always full until after 8.45. A bit late for me to eat. So I used the Pantry after that which was lovely and tasty anyway. I suggest you book on the first day if you want to eat at Dragon lady and Angelos at a reasonable hour.

I have suggested to P&O since getting off to set up 1 or 2 large round tables in the Waterfront for solo cruisers that can come at any time and dine. It wouldn’t make any difference serving one person at their own table to serving someone separately on a mixed table. Plus the bonus is you may make friends and enjoy the cruise more ( which in turn is good for everyone including P&O!) Can you tell I really missed getting seated with other cruisers?

The entertainment was fabulous. 4 different shows with the P&O singers and dancers+ 2 comedians- who were hilarious and 1 magician ( who was funny too) We had a Blanco- white night and a Gatsby night party on deck. I was surprised at how many people dressed up. As the roof can be open or closed it is always likely to be by the pool. The ‘back to school’ night was held in the Dome where the staff organised games. It was great fun.

We were meant to stop at 4 ports but missed Conflict island as it was too rough for the tenders. We waited there a few hours to see if it would calm down so go to enjoy the island views with lovely aqua blue water surrounding them. Our first port was Alotau. The weather was hot and muggy. The town reminded me of Port Vila ( without the shopping main road and all touristy markets ) surrounded by mountains. There was a group of locals dancing and singing when we docked which was lovely.Then another group doing a scary war dance positioned itself at the other end of the wharf.- Very interesting. I had booked a shore tour with P&O as the one I found privately was too expensive at $190. It was Authentic PNG which was $89.95 for 4 hours. There were 6 X 10 seater vans in the group. I was in the first one which had security grills over every window including the windscreen which made it impossible to take photos. 1 other van was like this and the rest were normal. The guide did apoligise for this as they had borrowed the van from a private company who were becoming security conscious. I was lucky enough to press my phone to the window which would limit the amount of metal in the photo but everyone with a normal camera or not by the window missed out. We visited everything on the list but only got to see a war canoe, out of water not racing towards us filled with natives doing a war chant as describe. That was a bit disappointing. We stopped at markets at the end. These markets were unusual in the fact that it was set up in 2 lines with buyers walking down the middle. The sellers and all their family were positioned on each side sitting on the floor with their wares for sale on a cloth/mat in front. Everyone sold pretty much the same thing. Be careful to check for any holes if buying wooden products. Everyone was getting through quarantine fine with lots of close inspection after the cruise. I was quite surprised as I thought it was tougher to bring wooden products in. These had shell product attached too. We sailed away to another group doing a different war dance with lots of hip thrusting. The tour guide did tell us that each area of PNG had different dance styles.

Next stop was Kitara Island. It was raining when we arrived and I watched them unload some tenders from my balcony. From past experience with tenders and islands I decided to wait until about 10.30 until I went across and I was also hoping the rain would go away. I was right as it did at about 10.30 so there was a mad rush to get a tender as everyone else had the same idea! We all had a long wait! I wasn’t too worried as with most P&O beach stops 4 hours is usually plenty of time to see the island, look at all markets- same products but I bought some little wooden sea animals and spears to make into fridge magnets for souvenirs , go for a snorkel and lazy on the coconut tree lined beach. This island had a little extra site seeing to the ones I usually see. For $10 donation you can visit a cave which holds skulls and human bones. I thought this cave was an hours walk inland but really its only 2 minutes off the beach.

Next stop was Kiriwina Island. Arrived at 8am. I got tender tickets for myself and my 2 new friends at 10am . We were off the ship straight away. Docked at the pier and walked up the ‘main street’ (dirt track/road.) lined with sit down markets again. The whole island had taken a day off from their usual life to view the ‘Dim Dims’. That’s what the locals call white people. School was closed and no one went fishing etc- there were no shops. When we got up the street a little there was a natural grassed area with lots of local men dancing in native dress so we stopped and watched. After a while it turned into an impromptu cricket match. I have been told these last up to 3 days and there are 100 or so people on each side. There are 2 batters and 2 bowlers – 1 at each end and 1 runner for each batsman. The batsman doesn’t run. When someone gets caught out all 199 of them do a little chant and dance.(not the one who got out!) It was amazing. Someone hit a 4 and all the fielders just turned and watched the ball roll out of the field. No one chased it! Quite an eye opener. After, we went for a walk up the track to the village and had few teenage guides attached themselves to us to ‘help’ us find it. They were very diplomatic with their request for a gratuity after. I recall one saying the tour was now over and they needed to leave us ….. How cute ! As it was hot we next went for a swim but I needed reef shoes so didn’t get very far. The other side of the beach was good for snorkeling so I made my way to that section of the beach nearer to the pier. As it was pretty shallow I followed the path the local boats were going as I guessed this would be slightly deeper. It was quite a way out before I got to see some good coral and fish which were in a sink hole of sorts.

After, sat on the beach and had a really long chat with a lovely local lady. Ended up giving her half the contents of my bag. Panadol ( with explainations on how to use it), woolies shopping bag, pen etc. – I was really surprised at how educated everyone is. Everyone I spoke to spoke really good English. On the way back to the tender I was stopped by a local man who wanted me to change his 2 x $5 notes into Kina. I only had a 50k note ( which is worth $25 aus ) and knew I didn’t need it for Conflict island as you have to buy vouchers to use on that island as they don’t use cash. Told him he would need to get some friends together to change it. No problem. He had found someone in a jiffy. I had stored it with my medical kit and spare lollies so when I got it out he saw the lollies and immediately asked if he could have them. So palmed them off to him too and also gave him all my bandaids. I explained how to use the bandaids but didn’t bother to tell him the lollies were sugar free!!

All in all had a great time. A few things I should remark on in regard to the ship, I found it was warm inside. I normally need to wear long sleeves at night around cruise ships but I was hot on this one in all the areas. ( and the warmth was not menopausal !) so all my evening wear was too hot! I loved the way P&O have upgraded the furniture. No more white plastic outdoor settings. Everything is funky ,fun and tasteful for lounging and hanging. The theatre is set out really well. All the chairs have little tables in front of them and a walkway in front of the tables so no making people get out of their seats so you can get to the vacant seat in the middle. The ship is designed with only 2 main decks to use for most of the facilities. I didn’t get lost once on this ship. I felt everything was well layed out and the décor was cool and classy. The ship handled the small seas we had really well. We didn’t get any more than about 2.5 mtr seas but you didn’t notice any movement. I had brought my own coffee on the ship but didn’t need to use it. The standard stuff was strong but drinkable. I got into a routine of filling my travel mug( I brought from home) with 1 serve coffee and 1 serve hot water to weaken it! Nice.

I had done a bit a research to find luggage storage after the cruise because my flight out wasn’t until 4pm and read that there was storage lockers at the greyhouse station on Abbott st. Wrong… no greyhound station anymore. For luggage storage there is a tourist information shop on the Esplanade with some very helpful, lovely ladies who are happy to store luggage before or after your cruise - for free!!

Happy to answer any questions if I can

Cheers,

Fiona

:)

Thank you so much for your report.

I am heading off on the same itinerary on the Eden on 15th October.

Your report is very positive for the ship, after I have read quite a few negative reports. I am travelling with 4 friends, 2 as first time cruisers. I have told them that they should not expect much as P & O is a budget cruise company so anything they really like is a bonus. I have done several P & O plus celebrity, RC, Princess, Carnival and Cunard so know what to expect.

I have a few queries in regard to the itinerary. Too late now as my dr has insisted I have vaccinations and malaria tablets. Of our group of 5, 3 have been told to have them, and the other 2 not. Just curious did you bother?

Sounds like we don't need to book ship tours, that there is enough to see by wandering around on our own in the busy areas. Did you feel quite safe doing so? We would always be in a group of 5 so no one off on their own.

When we go to the south pacific islands we always take supplies for the kids at the schools, pencils, erasers, sharpeners, paper, rulers etc. We did the same once in Bali and would never do it again. On the south pacific islands the children were very polite and grateful, whereas in Bali the kids were all pushing and yelling for more more more, this wasnt at the school though, just the kids in the streets as it was holiday time.

Would it be appropriate to take school supplies on this cruise? I am very happy to do so to help the schools but can't stand greedy rude kids.... and yes I am a mum and granny and know kids are kids.

Did you find there was always somewhere to sit out on the deck or was it a battle to find a table and seats?

Did they have 2 shows in the theatre each night or only one?

Is there a movie theatre on the ship? or are there free movies on the TV?

Thanks for the tips re booking Angelos and Dragon Lady, also the storage of luggage in Cairns. We have a 2pm flight on departure so will probably like to have a couple of hours without luggage before heading to the airport.

Thanks again for your great post

Thank you so much for your report.

I am heading off on the same itinerary on the Eden on 15th October.

Your report is very positive for the ship, after I have read quite a few negative reports. I am travelling with 4 friends, 2 as first time cruisers. I have told them that they should not expect much as P & O is a budget cruise company so anything they really like is a bonus. I have done several P & O plus celebrity, RC, Princess, Carnival and Cunard so know what to expect.

I have a few queries in regard to the itinerary. Too late now as my dr has insisted I have vaccinations and malaria tablets. Of our group of 5, 3 have been told to have them, and the other 2 not. Just curious did you bother?Sounds like we don't need to book ship tours, that there is enough to see by wandering around on our own in the busy areas. Did you feel quite safe doing so? We would always be in a group of 5 so no one off on their own.

When we go to the south pacific islands we always take supplies for the kids at the schools, pencils, erasers, sharpeners, paper, rulers etc. We did the same once in Bali and would never do it again. On the south pacific islands the children were very polite and grateful, whereas in Bali the kids were all pushing and yelling for more more more, this wasnt at the school though, just the kids in the streets as it was holiday time.

Would it be appropriate to take school supplies on this cruise? I am very happy to do so to help the schools but can't stand greedy rude kids.... and yes I am a mum and granny and know kids are kids.

Did you find there was always somewhere to sit out on the deck or was it a battle to find a table and seats?

Did they have 2 shows in the theatre each night or only one?

Is there a movie theatre on the ship? or are there free movies on the TV?

Thanks for the tips re booking Angelos and Dragon Lady, also the storage of luggage in Cairns. We have a 2pm flight on departure so will probably like to have a couple of hours without luggage before heading to the airport.

Thanks again for your great post

Hi, When I cruise I dont expect anything- then I cant be disappointed. Glass half full:p I havent been on P&O in a while and glad they have upgraded their product. I think if you are a foodie you may be a little disappointed but there is always plenty to choose from in the pantry as long as you are not a fussy eater and it was always delicious. The Waterfront was delicious too.

To answer all your questions- No I didnt bother getting vaccinations but I am a traveller and have had hep A and B + I keep my typhoid / tetanus up to date. I over sprayed with mozzie repellant before I left the ship and carried it with me but didnt use it again. I didnt see any mozzies either.

Your choice if you want to book shore tours on Alotau - It takes about 20mins or so to walk into the town area- tourist market of sorts. There is a local market another 10 mins or so further into town. But to be honest not really much to see unless you havent been to Vanuatu. I would do a tour of some sort even if its the cultural tour. Before I went I was worried about my safety but no need to be worried as I felt perfectly safe. I didnt go wandering off alone though. I joined in with a couple to go and see the cave museum and skull cave on Kitara Island as I wasnt taking any chances of going missing! A few people did take school materials and there were baskets next to the schools singing on Kitara Island for donations + I know a few people on a private tour on Alotau asked to get taken to a school to donate too.

The children are shy ,polite and very curious about us. They would be very grateful for anything that is donated. My new friend had brought new tshirts which she gave to some of the mothers and had collected up all the pens she had lying around and handed them out too. Everyone was grateful. I noticed a lot of locals didnt have any shoes so any newish thongs-flip flops would be appreciated.

Im pretty sure the ship was full as my brother tried to book after me and couldnt get a cabin. It didnt feel full. I never had a problem getting a seat at any time anywhere in the ship. But keep in mind there was only 1 of me. There were plenty of seats in the theatre at both shows. 6.45 and 8.45. even at the last minute. It may have something to so with the fact you could actually get to a vacant seat! There is movie theatre called Torquay which had new release movies. No movies under the stars though. You could watch movies on your tv but not sure if there are choices. Hope you enjoy your cruise. Im sure you will!:D

Cheers,

Fiona

Edited by Forever dreaming

Thanks for the report we went on the Pacific Dawn to PNG in November 2013 and going again on the Aria in February. It really is a stunning place.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh Yeah... Id go back in a instant. The islands are absolutely beautiful - what you expect of a island with lots of coconut trees and I loved looking out to the mountains on Alotau. Gorgeous. Have a great time

Great thanks for your very detailed reply. I am flying up to Cairns early the day prior to boarding so will go to the shopping centre and buy up rather than take up with me.

Definately not a foodie so we will be fine I'm sure.

Thanks for the info on seating and movies. i rarely go to the movies and only seem to watch them when on a cruise or flight, too busy with life at other times.

Our cruise is showing sold out now. I have a US plug somewhere but will just go with using the aussie power point to charge my phone. Probably wont need to charge much anyway as I will only be using it for taking pics.

I thought I’d write a review of my cruise on Pacific Eden- 7 nights from Cairns to Papua New Guinea as there weren’t many reviews for PNG on here. I don’t usually bother writing reviews anymore as they end up being the same as the cruiser who lodged one before me so I apoligise if this is similar to someone elses!

I am a hopeless cruise-a-holic who is now spending the kids inheritance on my holidays. For this cruise I was a solo traveler. I am married -49 yr old female (just for prospective) with 3 young adult kids but none of my friends or family were able to come with me so I went alone.

I was lucky enough to get a balcony cabin at the last minute ( booked 2 weeks before departure) for a great singles price. It was originally booked as a guaranteed balcony but ended up being a triple balcony right near the back on deck 10. Great position on the same level as the serenity deck and one down from ‘The Pantry’ which was great as I could pop up and get a coffee in 1 minute! The cabin itself had a fridge and a spa bath which was a surprise. Tip- make sure you know how to take the plug out of the bath hole before having a bubble bath. I didn’t realise you have to turn the silver knob which is half way down the bath which when covered in bubbles is invisible. A double sofa bed and the rest was probably the same as the oceanview cabins. Loads of mirrors, hairdryer, makeup mirror, shampoo, conditioner, body wash. The water bottles and dressing gown are not free! I don’t normally touch the shampoo stuff but didn’t bring enough and used it twice. It was perfectly fine. It did have 2 faults. If using it as a triple the sofa bed would block your path to the balcony and you would need to stand on it to use the dresser. 2nd-There were 2 aussie power points but they were located under the dresser in the chair alcove near the floor. To use them you needed to get on all fours (or squat down) to plug something in. I mainly used them to charge my phone and had to leave it on the chair to charge as my cable wasn’t long enough. My suggestion is to bring a small extention cord. There were US power points ( I think they were US ones!) in the standard areas on the dresser. Only a shaver plug in the bathroom. Having a balcony was fantastic as a solo. I found the only time I felt alone was as dining times so I would take breakfast down and eat it on the balcony and in between things to do I could go back and sit on the balcony. I wouldn’t have done this with an oceanview or inside cabin.

Speaking of dining, the Pantry is a great idea. It has less choice but it is a lot more healthy, there is less fried foods and the staff serve you so it is 100% more hygienic. Pacific Eden has 3 free dining rooms-apart from the Pantry. The Waterfront- mixed choices, Angelos- Italian and Dragon Lady-Asian. I went to Angelos the first night at 5.30 and was the only one in there up until dessert. It was lovely. Next night I went to The Waterfront and got seated at a table for 2 right in the middle which made me feel uncomfortable sitting there for an hour twiddling my thumbs! I made friends with 2 lovely ladies and was going to join them at Angelos and Dragon lady on subsequent nights but they were always full until after 8.45. A bit late for me to eat. So I used the Pantry after that which was lovely and tasty anyway. I suggest you book on the first day if you want to eat at Dragon lady and Angelos at a reasonable hour.

I have suggested to P&O since getting off to set up 1 or 2 large round tables in the Waterfront for solo cruisers that can come at any time and dine. It wouldn’t make any difference serving one person at their own table to serving someone separately on a mixed table. Plus the bonus is you may make friends and enjoy the cruise more ( which in turn is good for everyone including P&O!) Can you tell I really missed getting seated with other cruisers?

The entertainment was fabulous. 4 different shows with the P&O singers and dancers+ 2 comedians- who were hilarious and 1 magician ( who was funny too) We had a Blanco- white night and a Gatsby night party on deck. I was surprised at how many people dressed up. As the roof can be open or closed it is always likely to be by the pool. The ‘back to school’ night was held in the Dome where the staff organised games. It was great fun.

We were meant to stop at 4 ports but missed Conflict island as it was too rough for the tenders. We waited there a few hours to see if it would calm down so go to enjoy the island views with lovely aqua blue water surrounding them. Our first port was Alotau. The weather was hot and muggy. The town reminded me of Port Vila ( without the shopping main road and all touristy markets ) surrounded by mountains. There was a group of locals dancing and singing when we docked which was lovely.Then another group doing a scary war dance positioned itself at the other end of the wharf.- Very interesting. I had booked a shore tour with P&O as the one I found privately was too expensive at $190. It was Authentic PNG which was $89.95 for 4 hours. There were 6 X 10 seater vans in the group. I was in the first one which had security grills over every window including the windscreen which made it impossible to take photos. 1 other van was like this and the rest were normal. The guide did apoligise for this as they had borrowed the van from a private company who were becoming security conscious. I was lucky enough to press my phone to the window which would limit the amount of metal in the photo but everyone with a normal camera or not by the window missed out. We visited everything on the list but only got to see a war canoe, out of water not racing towards us filled with natives doing a war chant as describe. That was a bit disappointing. We stopped at markets at the end. These markets were unusual in the fact that it was set up in 2 lines with buyers walking down the middle. The sellers and all their family were positioned on each side sitting on the floor with their wares for sale on a cloth/mat in front. Everyone sold pretty much the same thing. Be careful to check for any holes if buying wooden products. Everyone was getting through quarantine fine with lots of close inspection after the cruise. I was quite surprised as I thought it was tougher to bring wooden products in. These had shell product attached too. We sailed away to another group doing a different war dance with lots of hip thrusting. The tour guide did tell us that each area of PNG had different dance styles.

Next stop was Kitara Island. It was raining when we arrived and I watched them unload some tenders from my balcony. From past experience with tenders and islands I decided to wait until about 10.30 until I went across and I was also hoping the rain would go away. I was right as it did at about 10.30 so there was a mad rush to get a tender as everyone else had the same idea! We all had a long wait! I wasn’t too worried as with most P&O beach stops 4 hours is usually plenty of time to see the island, look at all markets- same products but I bought some little wooden sea animals and spears to make into fridge magnets for souvenirs , go for a snorkel and lazy on the coconut tree lined beach. This island had a little extra site seeing to the ones I usually see. For $10 donation you can visit a cave which holds skulls and human bones. I thought this cave was an hours walk inland but really its only 2 minutes off the beach.

Next stop was Kiriwina Island. Arrived at 8am. I got tender tickets for myself and my 2 new friends at 10am . We were off the ship straight away. Docked at the pier and walked up the ‘main street’ (dirt track/road.) lined with sit down markets again. The whole island had taken a day off from their usual life to view the ‘Dim Dims’. That’s what the locals call white people. School was closed and no one went fishing etc- there were no shops. When we got up the street a little there was a natural grassed area with lots of local men dancing in native dress so we stopped and watched. After a while it turned into an impromptu cricket match. I have been told these last up to 3 days and there are 100 or so people on each side. There are 2 batters and 2 bowlers – 1 at each end and 1 runner for each batsman. The batsman doesn’t run. When someone gets caught out all 199 of them do a little chant and dance.(not the one who got out!) It was amazing. Someone hit a 4 and all the fielders just turned and watched the ball roll out of the field. No one chased it! Quite an eye opener. After, we went for a walk up the track to the village and had few teenage guides attached themselves to us to ‘help’ us find it. They were very diplomatic with their request for a gratuity after. I recall one saying the tour was now over and they needed to leave us ….. How cute ! As it was hot we next went for a swim but I needed reef shoes so didn’t get very far. The other side of the beach was good for snorkeling so I made my way to that section of the beach nearer to the pier. As it was pretty shallow I followed the path the local boats were going as I guessed this would be slightly deeper. It was quite a way out before I got to see some good coral and fish which were in a sink hole of sorts.

After, sat on the beach and had a really long chat with a lovely local lady. Ended up giving her half the contents of my bag. Panadol ( with explainations on how to use it), woolies shopping bag, pen etc. – I was really surprised at how educated everyone is. Everyone I spoke to spoke really good English. On the way back to the tender I was stopped by a local man who wanted me to change his 2 x $5 notes into Kina. I only had a 50k note ( which is worth $25 aus ) and knew I didn’t need it for Conflict island as you have to buy vouchers to use on that island as they don’t use cash. Told him he would need to get some friends together to change it. No problem. He had found someone in a jiffy. I had stored it with my medical kit and spare lollies so when I got it out he saw the lollies and immediately asked if he could have them. So palmed them off to him too and also gave him all my bandaids. I explained how to use the bandaids but didn’t bother to tell him the lollies were sugar free!!

All in all had a great time. A few things I should remark on in regard to the ship, I found it was warm inside. I normally need to wear long sleeves at night around cruise ships but I was hot on this one in all the areas. ( and the warmth was not menopausal !) so all my evening wear was too hot! I loved the way P&O have upgraded the furniture. No more white plastic outdoor settings. Everything is funky ,fun and tasteful for lounging and hanging. The theatre is set out really well. All the chairs have little tables in front of them and a walkway in front of the tables so no making people get out of their seats so you can get to the vacant seat in the middle. The ship is designed with only 2 main decks to use for most of the facilities. I didn’t get lost once on this ship. I felt everything was well layed out and the décor was cool and classy. The ship handled the small seas we had really well. We didn’t get any more than about 2.5 mtr seas but you didn’t notice any movement. I had brought my own coffee on the ship but didn’t need to use it. The standard stuff was strong but drinkable. I got into a routine of filling my travel mug( I brought from home) with 1 serve coffee and 1 serve hot water to weaken it! Nice.

I had done a bit a research to find luggage storage after the cruise because my flight out wasn’t until 4pm and read that there was storage lockers at the greyhouse station on Abbott st. Wrong… no greyhound station anymore. For luggage storage there is a tourist information shop on the Esplanade with some very helpful, lovely ladies who are happy to store luggage before or after your cruise - for free!!

Happy to answer any questions if I can

Cheers,

Fiona

thanks Fiona, very informative. On my computer it was all one long hard to read paragraph so I copied and pasted into Word and it came out in easy to read paragraphs.

Thanks for your review. We are going on the Eden on the 25th Oct. This is my husband and my first cruise on P&O having been on RC, Celebrity and Carnival.

I was going to take pencils or crayons for the children but I might buy some thongs like you suggested.

Edited by cruisine21

Thanks Fiona for a most informative review. I am a solo traveller and was hoping that contributing to this roll call forum would elicit other solo travellers who I could dine, sightsee and/or snorkel with. On board I will readily identifiable as a 50 something tall blonde (with a walking stick courtesy of a quite recent knee replacement). Please say hello

Regards

Angela

Hi Angela,

We are a group of 5 friends travelling together, feel free to come and have a chat. We are in our 60s, early 70s, dark hair, blonde hair, grey hair and all in between, all sizes too!!! so good luck finding us. Hopefully we will be the ones with happy smiles and laughing a lot.

We are all just planning to go with the flow 2 of our group will be on their first cruise so everything is super exciting for them. Chances are we will be splitting up and doing our own things according to our individual wishes for the day.

This cruise is the smallest roll call for any cruise I have been on, have done close to 20. Not sure if its the destination that determines the interest. Have been on shorter P & O cruises too with very active roll calls.

I fly to the gold coast tomorrow, then on to Cairns Friday morning.

See you on board hopefully.

Thanks Fiona for a most informative review. I am a solo traveller and was hoping that contributing to this roll call forum would elicit other solo travellers who I could dine, sightsee and/or snorkel with. On board I will readily identifiable as a 50 something tall blonde (with a walking stick courtesy of a quite recent knee replacement). Please say hello

Regards

Angela

Hi Angela,

I have found going on a shore tour is a sure fire way of making friends. P&O do have a get together before going ashore in the mornings for any solos who want to go together. That may help too.

The other thing I noticed is all the smokers chatting together create a really good social scene. Its almost a shame you cant join in if your not smoking!:rolleyes:

Maybe you could arrange to meet up with Tara Jane at a bar at sailaway .....

Have a great cruise.

Fiona

Edited by Forever dreaming

Dropped anchor a little while back. Beautiful day here. It was glorious at Kitava yesterday. Having a wonderful time. Priority tender tickets are excellent. Just wait down at the entrance to final steps and are the first people on the next tender. Talking about tenders, they are the worst, most disorganized tender crews I've ever encountered. Painfully slow getting you lashed to ship or jetty. Funny nearly. Food good. Portions at Dragon Lady and Angelo's seem even smaller than on Aria in Jan although that's hardly a bad thing!! Weird night at Salt. Arrived and it was obvious they weren't expecting us. I looked down at table list and we were apparently already there!! It threw them completely. Service was very disorganised and my medium rare rib was well done. Sent straight back but my table mates were finished by the time the second, slightly under done steak arrived. Then more veg and mash arrived even though I'd said none needed. The rest of the food was fantastic. I'll write a full review when we're home. Fingers crossed we make it to Conflict tomorrow.

Pete

Edited by newfarmers

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the great review Fiona!

I'm doing the same itinerary, ( sort of!) out of Brisbane but on the Aria in July '17.

Lovely to hear about the cave & the skulls- will be searching that one out!

What a shame about Conflict Islands- perhaps another time?

Hope you enjoy your next cruise😉👍

• 1 month later...

I am looking to book a Suite on Pacific Eden but all Suites are located on De k 10 immediately under the Pool and other Public areas. I am worried these cabins will be noisy. Ie scraping chairs and children running around. Has anyone cruised in these cabins and can enlighten me. Thank you.

I spent 4 nights in suite 10019 on Eden and don't recall any noise. The suite was lovely and the balcony was great as well.

I met someone in October who had a suite and they said it was lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope my memory is correct ! Either way , I thought The Eden was a very nice ship , I sailed on her inaugural cruise in a balcony and then did 2 four night b2b cruises a few months later. First in a balcony then in the suite, enjoy :)