Horrible new scrubber funnels on Freedom class

• 3 weeks later...
The big thing is to keep the exhaust gas velocity up, to keep from stalling out the turbochargers on the engines. Each exhaust pipe is sized to maximize the gas velocity (and hence minimize the back pressure) for the engine running at full load. If you made one pipe capable of carrying 2 or 3 engine's worth of exhaust at full load, then when only one engine was running into that exhaust pipe, the velocity would be much lower (same volume but larger cross-section), and you would have more backpressure on the turbo, and reducing power and efficiency. The multi-engine scrubbers are a bit of a challenge, as they need to use some venturi action to keep the gas velocity up, especially as the gas gives up heat to the scrubber water, and therefore wants to slow down on its own.

Big Thanks for your explanation.(y)

One comment. Cunard had its 3 ships fitted with scrubbers recently and thankfully nothing is visible from the outside. Seems they found some space inside, while RCI apparently didnt.

I would never have noticed had you not pointed them out. IMHO, there are all sorts of things that make a ship less beautiful. Water slides and hideous paint schemes (Norwegian) bugs me a lot more.

I agree, Norwegians silly paintjobs are an eye sore, and yes, those water slides too. Add to it the trend to add another two stories on top each time a new ship class is being created. The topheavyness of some of the latest big ships is becoming to look truly awful. Think of Norwegian and MSC, their newest fatboys are things only the companies beancouters can love.