Horrible new scrubber funnels on Freedom class

By the way: The US is not first in this, Northern Europe countries startet this and are much more advanced in their requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

All I said was somebody, I didn't say who. Whoever was first is first.

How does this affect the cruising experience? Oh, that's right... it doesn't. :rolleyes:

It doesn't affect YOUR experience and, apparently, many other people's experience posting on this thread. However, it seems that is does have an affect on the OP's experience. I suspect there might be some things that would affect your experience that the OP could not care any less about.

And for the record, I too think the new funnel shape is ugly. And the slides on Liberty are too.;)

People around here really love to use the :rolleyes: emoticon.......:rolleyes:

Edited by Ocean Boy

• 7 months later...

Telling from pictures the Liberty has scrubbers on both sides of the original funnel while Freedom and Independence have just one on the port side. Are the latter only half-finished?

Telling from pictures the Liberty has scrubbers on both sides of the original funnel while Freedom and Independence have just one on the port side. Are the latter only half-finished?

Freedom will never get finished. :eek: Been over two years as I recall.

Send this thread to the new administration's EPA. It would be curious as to what their position is on this scrubber business and if the cruise lines are keenly interested in the EPA's position. Presumably, the EPA regulations on scrubbers can't be rolled back.

While it is merely an EPA regulation that requires the reduced sulfur content of fuels (or scrubbers), this was made as an amendment to the MARPOL Convention of the IMO, so it is an international agreement. If the US were to decide to rescind the ECA, it would have to present this to the IMO, and await for the review process and vote by the member nations to "re" amend the MARPOL Convention, which would take a couple of years, by which time the worldwide sulfur limit of 0.5% would nearly be in force (2020), so it would basically become a moot point.

Further complicating things is that the "US" ECA covers the entire North American continent, and was co-proposed to the IMO by Canada and France (who have the islands of St. Pierre and Miquelon off the coast of Newfoundland), so they could fight the removal of the ECA.

I'm for saving the environment and improving air quality. And so be it if the aesthetics of a ship need to be compromised somewhat.

What I can't get out of my head is a CC story I read a few weeks ago about kids who threw a number of loungers overboard. Makes me think about what else lies on the ocean floor along the FLL - Cozumel route. :(

Send this thread to the new administration's EPA. It would be curious as to what their position is on this scrubber business and if the cruise lines are keenly interested in the EPA's position. Presumably, the EPA regulations on scrubbers can't be rolled back.

Is this to take them off or make them finish?

I don't see them being removed after spending millions of dollars installing the hardware. That would be a complete waste.

They were working on Freedom's starboard side when we were aboard a couple of months ago. It only took a couple of years to do the port side so I would expect about the same for this side. Unfortunately, it is causing the "temporary" shut down of the outdoor seating area of the Diamond Lounge. And I suspect it won't be any different when we board again next April.

Edited by Ocean Boy

They were working on Freedom's starboard side when we were aboard a couple of months ago. It only took a couple of years to do the port side so I would expect about the same for this side. Unfortunately, it is causing the "temporary" shut down of the outdoor seating area of the Diamond Lounge. And I suspect it won't be any different when we board again next April.

Well, that would depend on whether they have another fire and burn up the stuff they installed and had to redo this side like the last time.

Does Oasis have scrubbers? I was noticing her sail away this weekend and her starboard side stacks are larger than the port side.

I don't believe Oasis has had her scrubbers installed yet, only about half the RCI fleet is equipped. Typically, in addition to the six engine exhausts, you will have 2 boiler exhausts, and these will typically be on one side of the ship, so the starboard stack may have 3 diesels and 2 boilers, while the port has 3 diesels and the smaller incinerator.

I don't believe Oasis has had her scrubbers installed yet, only about half the RCI fleet is equipped. Typically, in addition to the six engine exhausts, you will have 2 boiler exhausts, and these will typically be on one side of the ship, so the starboard stack may have 3 diesels and 2 boilers, while the port has 3 diesels and the smaller incinerator.

Chief, what is the reason each engine has a separate exhaust? Instead of combining say the exhausts of 3 engines into a bigger pipe?

Chief, what is the reason each engine has a separate exhaust? Instead of combining say the exhausts of 3 engines into a bigger pipe?

The big thing is to keep the exhaust gas velocity up, to keep from stalling out the turbochargers on the engines. Each exhaust pipe is sized to maximize the gas velocity (and hence minimize the back pressure) for the engine running at full load. If you made one pipe capable of carrying 2 or 3 engine's worth of exhaust at full load, then when only one engine was running into that exhaust pipe, the velocity would be much lower (same volume but larger cross-section), and you would have more backpressure on the turbo, and reducing power and efficiency. The multi-engine scrubbers are a bit of a challenge, as they need to use some venturi action to keep the gas velocity up, especially as the gas gives up heat to the scrubber water, and therefore wants to slow down on its own.

The big thing is to keep the exhaust gas velocity up, to keep from stalling out the turbochargers on the engines. Each exhaust pipe is sized to maximize the gas velocity (and hence minimize the back pressure) for the engine running at full load. If you made one pipe capable of carrying 2 or 3 engine's worth of exhaust at full load, then when only one engine was running into that exhaust pipe, the velocity would be much lower (same volume but larger cross-section), and you would have more backpressure on the turbo, and reducing power and efficiency. The multi-engine scrubbers are a bit of a challenge, as they need to use some venturi action to keep the gas velocity up, especially as the gas gives up heat to the scrubber water, and therefore wants to slow down on its own.

Interesting, thanks.

I'm for saving the environment and improving air quality. And so be it if the aesthetics of a ship need to be compromised somewhat.

What I can't get out of my head is a CC story I read a few weeks ago about kids who threw a number of loungers overboard. Makes me think about what else lies on the ocean floor along the FLL - Cozumel route. :(

Maybe Jimmy Hoffa.