Gros Piton Hike

Bostongalpal16

• 3 weeks later...
Hi! Has anyone done the Gros Piton hike with Spencer Ambrose?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am surprised that you have not yet received a response as there are many that have done the Gros Piton climb with Spencer Ambrose Tours and have posted their experience.

My family climbed the Gros Piton with Spencer Ambrose Tours during a land vacation, but if you are arriving by cruise ship, it can still be done. Spencer will take you down by speedboat which will get you there faster than travelling by road. This also means you will begin your climb right down at sea level rather than in the village of Fond Gens Libre (this is where we began the climb from). Spencer's tours include lunch and beverages as well.

You can check out these Cruise Critic links to read reviews, see photo's and get more information about climbing the Gros Piton through Spencer.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1931025

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1557393

There are also reviews on TripAdvisor too!

We have done two tours with Spencer Ambrose but never the Piton Hike. I do remember reading CC member, gapearl's, review of her cruise on Carnival Valor in early 2013 since we had an upcoming cruise on Valor doing the same itinerary. She did the Piton Hike with Spencer and covered it in great detail in her review. Trying to attach the link to her review to open on the page that her day in St. Lucia began, but in case this link doesn't open to that page, it's on Page 20, post #390. I don't think she'll mind. :) Hope this gives you some of the information you are looking for She also included pictures.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1801810&page=20

Edited by pghsteelerfan

• 5 months later...

Climbed on the mountain recently. Ambrose does a good job but remember to bring cash for the payment! It is a very efficient tour and the boat ride is quite good. Everyone is very friendly and thoroughly knowledgeable about the island. They really do watch the time to have you back before the ship sails.

As for the climb, have very good hiking shoes, take more water than you think you will need, and expect right from the beginning to be going over rocks--lots and lots of rocks--roots, steep paths without handrails, etc. There is no easy stroll and you should be prepared to work. Kids do it and anyone in decent shape can handle this, but while not technically hard it does require puzzling out a lot of tough footings, so if you have balance issues I would advise against it. Otherwise, have fun and challenge yourself!