Travel Insurance question

nepacruisers

I have decided to purchase travel insurance on my own and not through NCL. My main concern is that my friend who is traveling with me has a husband who is older and has had health issues. If he were to become ill or worse immediately before our cruise in March, what kind of coverage do I need for this kind of situation? Is it cancel for any reason or is this the kind of thing that most insurance would cover? I went to insure my trip and looked at many plans, but can only find how much would be covered, not if it is an acceptable reason. I would appreciate any feedback on this situation. Thanks in advance.

The insurance I bought last March said I could cancel if:

you are prevented from taking your trip due to your, an immediate family member's, traveling Companion's, or business partner's sickness, injury, or death that occurs before departure.

Looks like it would not cover your trip if your friend's husband was sick (unless he was a traveling companion and traveling with you). I took your post as you and your friend were traveling together without him. If your friend bought insurance, her trip would be refunded if her husband got sick, but not sure about yours.

Although my insurance did cover:

We will pay your additional cost as a result of a change in the per person occupancy rate if a traveling companion's covered trip is cancelled and your covered trip is not canceled.

I guess it depends on the type of insurance you get, but my plan was pretty standard.

So, I guess it comes down to, if your friends husband is traveling with you (travel companion) your trip will be protected if he becomes ill before the cruise. If he is not and your friend has to cancel due to his illness, your trip may not be covered but they will cover the cost of "min. two people occupancy" in your cabin and you will have to go alone or eat the cost of the cruise.

Of course you could always purchase the "cancel for any reason" insurance which cost more, but might be your best bet.

Is the policy you have just for you, or does it cover both passengers?

If your friend's husband gets ill, obviously your friend would cancel, but is the idea that you would also want to cancel, or that you would maintain your plans, and you want to be protected against extra fees that NCL might charge in that situation? If it's the latter, many people have reported that NCL did not charge a single supplement for the remaining passenger in such cases.

Also be aware that most policies need to be purchased within 14-21 days after your first payment towards the cruise/vacation to receive the extended benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, many plans require you purchase you insurance within x days of making your deposit.

But with Nationwide Cruise, you can purchase CANCEL FOR ANY REASON right up until final payment date. It reimburses 70% of non refundable trip costs.

Edited by vince_g

This cruise is a gift for my friend, whose husband prefers not to travel. Rather than go without her, I would want to reschedule the cruise at a future date. Because I don't want to pay for a cruise we can't take, I am purchasing travel insurance. Just want to confirm that if he were to become sick ( he has had a heart attack a few years back) that the basic insurance would cover the loss or must I purchase the additional cancel for any reason clause that is on most of the plans.

Thank you for the responses. Yes it is just my friend and I on this trip, I am paying for the trip and just want to cover all bases. I just booked the cruise last week, so still have a few days to pick travel insurance.

For starters, here is the CC subforum on Travel Insurance:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

But call STEVE at http://www.TripInsuranceStore.com

(don't just read the policy summaries on the website, although that will give some background; the fine print matters!)

Tell him exactly what your concerns are, and he'll find the most appropriate insurer and policy for you. (No charge to you.)

We've had very good experiences with them including, importantly, two claims paid with no nonsense, and that's what matters, after all!

Good luck.

(don't just read the policy summaries on the website, although that will give some background; the fine print matters!)

Tell him exactly what your concerns are, and he'll find the most appropriate insurer and policy for you. (No charge to you.)

We've had very good experiences with them including, importantly, two claims paid with no nonsense, and that's what matters, after all!

Good luck.

Thank you very much, I will be sure to do that! I couldn't see the details until after I purchased a policy and didn't want to buy what wasn't needed.

Just want to confirm that if he were to become sick ( he has had a heart attack a few years back) that the basic insurance would cover the loss or must I purchase the additional cancel for any reason clause that is on most of the plans.
It should be easy to find a policy that covers both of you for cancellation in case of sickness involving only one person's immediate family. As GeezerCouple suggested, talk to somebody and get confirmation before buying a policy. If anyone tells you they won't give you the details of the policy until after you've paid, hang up on them and find a different provider!

Thank you very much, I will be sure to do that! I couldn't see the details until after I purchased a policy and didn't want to buy what wasn't needed.

You can also call the folks at insuremytrip.com and tell them what you are needing in a policy. Like Steve they are also insurance brokers so can steer you to the right kind of policy for your needs.

You are wise to be doing this now while you can still get coverage for pre-existing conditions of your traveling partner.

Also, most insurance policies give you ten days of look free.

Good luck.

By the way, I forgot to mention the policy we used (and continue to use).

We got coverage through Travel Insured, and started the coverage within 21 days of FIRST payment.

You'll need to up the coverage within 21 days of any additional payments, refundable or not, although you only need to *pay* for the coverage of non-refundable amounts.

This is IMPORTANT if you want the "waiver of the pre-existing condition exclusion".

(This sounds like a double negative: It's a "good thing" :) This means in the case of a claim, medical or not, they will NOT need to look through medical records to see if the claim is related to something pre-existing, which *might* otherwise cause the claim to be denied.

So in addition to making sure that any medical claims are indeed covered, the claims process won't be delayed while the insurer possibly requests and then scans through old medical records.)

We aren't sure if either of our claims would have been denied without that waiver (guessing one might have been, the other would have been okay), but we just didn't need to worry about it, or deal with any "look back" periods. Much easier, much more reassuring.

Importantly, Travel Insured didn't bicker about anything. None of the nonsense one sometimes reads about with insurance claims.

However, they obviously do need receipts/etc., to make sure the claim is valid.

Also, it seems that many of the insurance complaints here on CC are because someone did NOT read or understand the "fine print" properly.

So please make absolutely sure that you speak with Steve (or one of his associates) in DETAIL about your situation, ALL of it. They can't help you get the right policy if they don't know all of the details about your concerns.

If you have that waiver, and there is a medical event (for a covered person), then there is no need for the CFAR.

On the other hand, IF you *might* want to cancel you plans because you are just "worried" that someone is "getting worse" or such, then perhaps you'd want the CFAR.

Travel Insured's CFAR pays 75%, and it costs extra. But it can provide peace of mind.

(Another reason to get CFAR is if you are going to a "questionable" part of the world. Then if you are just "very uncomfortable" about violence nearby, or such, you can cancel. Otherwise, there would need to be "trouble" in precisely a location listed on your itinerary.)

Also, something new we just noticed on our latest policy: TI now includes "Trip Interruption" within the CFAR.

Just make sure that the specific policy YOU get includes whichever features/terms are important for your situation.

And make sure that your reservation and your friend's are linked somehow (Steve will help with how this must be arranged) so that YOU are covered if HER husband has any problems.

This is exactly the type of detail/"fine print" that could cause disappointment if the right policy isn't purchased.

Good luck, and we hope all of you end up with a wonderful trip!

I've had two experiences with Travel Insurance. First my husband and I had booked a cruise with my elderly parents and we all four bought insurance. My parents had a cabin and we had a cabin. My mother was hospitalized two weeks before the cruise and was unable to travel. My dad and mom's trip was fully refunded. Ours would of been as well, due to her being 1) my mother and 2) a travel companion. We opted to go without my parents since her situation was not life threatening.

Three months later my husband booked another last minute cruise and purchased insurance. As we were boarding in NY, my dad called my cell and told me my mom was admitted to the hospital with a heart issue. I talked to the doctor on the phone and he said my mom was not in immediate danger. We had to make the decision to either get on the boat and sail, or drive home and get a refund. We opted to sail, knowing that we could fly home from the first port if things got worse and be reimbursed for our airfare and unused days of the cruise. Thankfully she was fine and I was able to see her in a rehab facility when I got home.

It did take off so much pressure knowing I had the insurance and that I had options as far as cancelling etc.

I have only been on 1 cruise. I am going on my second one THIS FRIDAY (Yikes, Nicole). I bought the insurance both times, but I guess I bought it thru the cruise line. I didn't know there was any other way... How do you do it another way?

I have only been on 1 cruise. I am going on my second one THIS FRIDAY (Yikes, Nicole). I bought the insurance both times, but I guess I bought it thru the cruise line. I didn't know there was any other way... How do you do it another way?

Just google "trip insurance". InsuranceMyTrip etc. will come up. I've also called my home owner insurance company (Nationwide) and had quotes. The last time I used Leisure Insurance. Many different options. I think someone above on this post listed a good company they use as well.

From my post above:

Good luck.

And we used Travel Insured as the insurer, who paid with no nonsense.

Edited by GeezerCouple

Just google "trip insurance". InsuranceMyTrip etc. will come up. I've also called my home owner insurance company (Nationwide) and had quotes. The last time I used Leisure Insurance. Many different options. I think someone above on this post listed a good company they use as well.

Thank you very much for the info!!