Do sold out cabins ever open back up?

bobbylutens

The cruise I'm interested in is completely out of balcony and mini suite cabins. I reserved an ocean view, but it's on guarantee at this point. What are my chances of having a balcony or mini suite open up in the next few weeks? NCL said after final payments are due, some people don't pay the balance and they could open up. Although we love the cruise, I don't know that we want an ocean view for the 4 of us. I've tried travel agents thinking maybe they have an allotment but it seems none do. Just wondering if the possibility is good or will we most likely be stuck in an ocean view?

Edited by bobbylutens

we were an ocean view guarantee, but I just got a call from NCL and a mini suite opened up. We switched to that, but really are just looking for a balcony if one opens. It's less expensive and not much different in our opinion. The mini suite is $2000 more than the ocean view was. It's a lot to think about.

we were an ocean view guarantee, but I just got a call from NCL and a mini suite opened up. We switched to that, but really are just looking for a balcony if one opens. It's less expensive and not much different in our opinion. The mini suite is $2000 more than the ocean view was.
They probably won't be willing to let you downgrade from mini-suite to balcony without paying the cancellation fee, if nothing becomes available until after final payment.

They probably won't be willing to let you downgrade from mini-suite to balcony without paying the cancellation fee, if nothing becomes available until after final payment.

Correct! After final payment, they only let you move up without paying the cancellation fee.

I usually look at what the website says is available, then call the 800 number to book. Often I get to book a cabin that does not show up as available. A couple weeks ago, I asked for a certain cabin number, she said it 'just came back up as available'. Don't give up if you don't see it on line. Make a phone call, you might get a good result too.