Warning - do not sail Celebrity with young children

Thorpeys

This is a long post as I feel those with children need to be fully informed.

To precis the concerns experienced are:

- dangerous ratio of staff to children

- unsecure children's facilities where a child can get out at any time

- Unwelcoming staff

- Children told on initial sign up they couldn't play

- Large age range together

- When going to help children get shoes on was told that parents weren't allowed inside, having previously never been told this despite doing so. Children then didn't receive help from staff member.

- Not secure pick up (no use of password)

We are currently on the Eclipse with our 4 and 5 year old children. We went on a 14 night cruise with P&O in March and our children absolutely loved the kids club and couldn't wait to get to the fun factory here on the Eclipse. We went to sign them up on the first day and were greeted by one member of staff. We were filling out the forms so the children got some toys out to play with as nothing was available to entertain them. They were quickly told that it was not time to play and was just open house for sign up. They promptly put the toys away and we left. Not a very warm and welcoming start. The Fun Factory area is not secure and children can get out without adult help in to the rest of the ship with open deck only being one level below.

They went for their first session the following day. My concerns began to increase. Again only one member of staff. The age ranges had been put together so it was 3-8year olds. The children seemed to have had a good time, saying they had played a Cars game on the X Box.

After a couple of sessions I asked a member of staff whether there was always just one adult. I counted atleast 11 children. She explained that yes that was normal. I explained that in the UK that wouldn't be acceptable or safe having just 1 adult in the room.

I went to guest relations to ask for a copy of their policies for the Fun Factory. I was initally told by a dissmissive member of guest relations that I'd need to ask the Fun Factory directly. A very helpful lady from guest relations then intervened and arranged an immediate appointment with the manager of the youth provision. Her name is Sarah in guest relations and I will specifically name her because she deserves credit as she was very responsive.

I went up to see the manager of the youth provision and explained my concerns re staffing ratio and a number of other concerns which are listed at the top of this post. She said that she was not allowed to give me any policies as they are company property. She told me the staffing ratio is 1 adult to every 15 children aged 3-5yrs. I again raised my concern and shock that only 1 adult was present with this many young children. When I asked what would happen should a child make an allegation about a member of staff I was told that the facility had cameras. This seems rather reactive than proactive. I also pointed out that if a child suddenly became unwell (asthma attack, epilepsy etc) that one adult would have to look after that one child meaning the remaining children would have no supervision. The youth manager said she would liaise with her manager in Miami re policies. I would not be letting my children access the provision as I deemed it unsafe.

After 48 hours I'd had no response so went to see the youth manager again. She explained that her manager in Miami had confirmed they were following all procedures correctly and I could have a copy of the ratios. I made it clear that I wanted to have a copy of Celebrity's safeguarding/child protection policy and as my children had/could access it I felt this should be available. I did not feel my concerns had been taken seriously and asked how to make an official complaint. The youth manager did not know and told me to ask guest relations.

By this point my children were playing Lego (which we had gone out and purchased ashore) and Uno in the martini bar or Sky Lounge (when available as this is often shut at peak times for 'private functions'). I do apologise to any guests we disturb but we are trying to be as discreet as possible but from talking to fellow passengers they are enjoying engaging with our children and having them around. Other passengers have been shocked when we have explained the situation and fully understanding of our situation and happily engage the children to keep them occupied. One couple said they had noiced more children than ever before around the ship, so I did explain that it might be because the Fun Factory might actually be the Not-So-Fun-Factory. They said they would make sure all their friends and family were aware not to take children on Celebrity.

I went to guest relations and again the unhelpful guest relations officer and the helpful one were present. The unhelpful one was well... unhelpful and the helpful one did her best. I asked how to make a formal complaint and apparently one was already logged by the youth manager! They both went and consulted with their manager the head of guest relations who was sat behind a screen. I asked to speak to him directly in the end and he came out to speak with me. I was told I could not have a copy of what had been logged as the complaint as it was information passed between departments but that it had been sent to Miami and head of youth provision for Celebrity wide was aware. I again asked for a copy of the safeguarding/child protection policy. Again no clear information about whether there even is one. We will wait and see if one ever appears.

I understand that this practice is acceptable within US policy, although find this horrifying but for a ship that sails out of Britain for the season you would have thought they would consider British policy and expectations. There appear to be plenty of staff in all other departments accept the children and youth provision.

The majority of the staff onboard (and most passengers) have been absolutely lovely with our children and much friendlier and warmer towards our children than the children's workers who aren't friendly and are cold and abrupt.

So, if you have got this far... if you are happy leaving your 3-5yr old child with 1 adult in a room with responsibility for 15 children with a door that your child can open then cruise Celebrity... if you wouldn't be happy with this... I strongly recommend choosing an alternative cruise line. I can only vouch for P&O's children's facilities which were absolutely excellent and extremely professional and safe.

I never in a million years thought I would say that I wished I was on a P&O cruise instead of Celebrity! I love the Celebrity brand and what it offers but if it doesn't provide safe children's facilities we will not be sailing Celebrity again. We all wished we could have got off the Eclipse and on to Ventura when we were docked in Gran Canaria together.

I wish I'd had this information prior to booking a Celebrity cruise as this has significantly negatively impacted on the enjoyment of our cruise. We all can't wait to get home and I have never felt like that on any of our 16 cruises before.

Sorry for your troubles. It is clear that your idea of what is "suitable" "protection" for children was not properly negotiated with Celebrity before you embarked. But I must admit that I had trouble reading the details of your screed - the loud noise of the helicopter blades overhead was too distracting. By the way, my first Transatlantic cruise ship (they called them ocean liners then) was at age 3. My brother (age 5) and I had free run of the ship and somehow managed to keep ourselves amused without legos and managed to survive despite the lack of constant surveillance.

I'm honestly a little shocked by this thread - I have a 7 year old daughter - We have been cruising with her since she was 6 months old - With over 40 cruises under my belt on most of the major cruise lines I'd say I have some experience in this area.

We have taken our Daughter on Disney, Celebrity, NCL and RCCL - The worst experience we had by far was actually on Disney - The kids were placed in one large group with most ages mixed - They were just wandering around aimlessly - It was horrible - We thought is wad a fluke, tried another Disney but experienced the same thing - Horrible in our opinion.

We were on the Equinox last year for 2 weeks to Sydney and 1 week this year in Europe - Both times our daughter went to the kids club - On the Sydney cruise she was one of maybe 30 kids on board the ship - The kids club was great for her - With 4 -5 kids in the club in her age group they always had at least 2 councilors supervising and usually more - I always felt she was well taken care of - And she loved the experience - She always wanted to go back.

We are taking her to RIO on the Infinity in a few weeks- Anyone that says Celebrity is not a family ship is absolutely wrong - It's more sophisticated than RCCL, yes and there aren't as many kids activities (water slides etc) but thats part of the draw - a more sophisticated vacation

I'm honestly a little shocked by this thread - I have a 7 year old daughter - We have been cruising with her since she was 6 months old - With over 40 cruises under my belt on most of the major cruise lines I'd say I have some experience in this area.

We have taken our Daughter on Disney, Celebrity, NCL and RCCL - The worst experience we had by far was actually on Disney - The kids were placed in one large group with most ages mixed - They were just wandering around aimlessly - It was horrible - We thought is wad a fluke, tried another Disney but experienced the same thing - Horrible in our opinion.

We were on the Equinox last year for 2 weeks to Sydney and 1 week this year in Europe - Both times our daughter went to the kids club - On the Sydney cruise she was one of maybe 30 kids on board the ship - The kids club was great for her - With 4 -5 kids in the club in her age group they always had at least 2 councilors supervising and usually more - I always felt she was well taken care of - And she loved the experience - She always wanted to go back.

We are taking her to RIO on the Infinity in a few weeks- Anyone that says Celebrity is not a family ship is absolutely wrong - It's more sophisticated than RCCL, yes and there aren't as many kids activities (water slides etc) but thats part of the draw - a more sophisticated vacation

Very glad to see this. We are taking our 6- and 10- year olds on Infinity Panama Canal full transit in 10 days. They each have over 100 nights onboard various lines/ships. This will be their first Celebrity with first HAL cruise coming up in June for Alaska northbound. First cruise for our youngest was at 15 months - a transatlantic. Reading a previous poster in this thread say taking young kids is "asking for trouble" and that kids should be left at home shocked me. It is great seeing parents who cruise with their children like us. :) Our kids saw their first ballet in Russia, swam in the Blue Lagoon, covered their heads in a Turkish mosque, walked the streets of Ephesus, sampled gelato / pizzas / churches all over Italy, visited Picasso's childhood home in Malaga, explored the siege tunnels in Gibraltar, have experienced crossing the Atlantic each direction via ship, served others in the Dominican Republic in a variety of capacities while on a Fathom Adonia impact travel cruise, and my oldest acts as our interpreter in Spanish speaking countries with her dual language skills acquired from the program she is in at school - among other cultural immersion opportunities from various cruises. As per that post's suggestions, we still have taken them to Disney World (they prefer cruises over Disney), still have a museum pass (that we use around the country with it's reciprocal agreements), have a plethora of National Park Junior Ranger badges from completing those programs, and are well on our way to completing our visits of all 50 states by the time they each turn 18. We didn't have children just to leave them at home, and like you, enjoy cruising with our children. We view the world as our greatest classroom and cherish each day with our children :)

differing expectations of different nationalities.

Generations of Americans have grown up attending schools where the norm is to have one adult teacher per classroom.

So we do not consider 11 children to one adult counselor to be at all unsafe, unusual or unreasonable

School aged children is one thing. Preschool aged children is a different thing entirely.