Viking Kara Rhine Getaway

Jay23

Wednesday2nd November

After three days of (intensive) walking tours in Basel, Breisach and Strasbourg we are having a "river day" The majority of the passengers left the ship this morning at 8.30am for a morning in Heidelberg. The ship moored up in Mannheim and the buses were waiting. At around 9.30 we left for Gernsheim along the river. (it is not possible for Kara to dock at Heidelberg.) We will pick up the Heidelberg trippers there and set off for Rudesheim where we will be staying till Thursday Morning.

Meanwhile we had breakfast with the few passengers who had chosen to remain on board. There can't be more than 20 and we understand that there are 142 passengers travelling this week.

This is a wonderfully scenic cruise today. The trees are a variety of colours but it is clear that the river level is not as high as it could be as much of the stoney river bank is visible. It is all so very peaceful, and the sun and blue sky make it magic. Who would have expected the temperature in November to be as much as 10C/50F. We are very fortunate.

As I write this, we are passing Viking Alruna going in the opposite direction.

We think the Viking Long ships are very well designed and the decor is pleasing and the colours restful. Our Stateroom (Veranda 329) is small but has many drawers and the hanging space is adequate. The bathroom is tiny! but the

heated floor is very cosy. The stateroom is kept pristine by Frederich.

On the whole the staff are very pleasant and helpful, but occasionally other passengers have sensed a little impatience........ end of season perhaps. We are more than satisfied though, maybe we don't make many demands??

This sail along is what we came for. We had become a bit disappointed that all sailing was a night, but we appreciate that it is the only way for the cruise to work. So now we have two full days of sailing as tomorrow we will be passing through the Rhine Gorge.

More later. Judith

Good to hear from you, Judith.

Heidelberg is an obvious choice for an excursion, especially for our North-American friends. Getting to it is for the reason that it is on the Neckar always an awkward one to built into the schedule. I do not think it works without sailing the ship further downstream in the meantime. Stil,l that gives you a splendid river day which you say you have been looking forward to. I admit I do not know that stretch of river at all, would like to see it some day. Perhaps I will skip the Heidelberg tour, as well, if I happen to have a similar itinerary to you one day.

Gernsheim is a small place in Hesse, but has got a long history and some nice old half-timber buildings. I believe you do not spend any time in the town, you are just there to pick up the other passengers? Somewhat a pity.

Enjoy Rüdesheim. It is a little too touristy for my liking, but lovely for sure. And the musical instrument museum is supposed to be a delight. If you can, I recommend going further uphill into the vineyards for a splendid view of the valley.

Have a great time.

Tomorrow you are certainly in for a treat in the Rhine gorge.

notamermaid

Now we have sailed through the Rhine Gorge and despite there being no sunshine, it was a very beautiful cruise. My OH was on the top deck taking photos but I am afraid it was too cold for me and I sat in the lounge. Boris the Programme Director gave a good commentary, including the story about the Loreley Rock!

We are now tied up at Koblenz and in about 45 minutes we will be taking the tour to Marksburg Castle.

Kara is carrying only 142 passengers, and as all the other Rhine Getaway cruises from now onwards are obviously full up, we wonder what happened to this one??

Today we have a towel elephant on the bed. Judith