New to Disney Cruises - Educate Me Please

sd200044

Hi,

My Wife and I are avid cruisers. We have been on over 20 Cruises, but none on Disney. We are 40 / 50 without kids. We are traveling with her family for this mini vacay, and that is what brings us to sail the Dream in January on DCL. We are pretty simple, in that we like a good meal / snack, we like to lounge on deck with a book and some music, and once in a while take in some live music at night. What I am looking for is any information I can get about what make DCL special or different, and any tips, tricks, or do not miss. I heard they have Fireworks off the boat at night? Awesome!! What else?

You can get a lot of basic info on the sticky pages at the top.

We started cruising DCL in 1998 when daughter was 7. As we are now all adults, we have branched out to include 3 other lines, but thru the years have done 30 DCL cruises.

DCL has the best service and best ship appearance of any we've tried. Yes, we have occasionally hit a sub-optimal dining room server on DCL, but they far outclass other lines in terms of friendliness and willingness to go the extra step for you. There are many "Disney touches" all around the ships. The original idea for the appearance was "classical elegance," and that describes most locations, inside and out. OK, some of the places on the newer ships I wouldn't describe as "elegant," but they are very well done. The main stage entertainment on the DCL ships is the best I've experienced despite the fact that they perform to tracks (no live orchestra). I've actually enjoyed some of the "around the ship" entertainment better on other lines.

The cabins are bigger and nicer than we've experienced on most other lines.

The food is "just OK." There is nothing wrong with it, but in recent years it has not blown us away. We've had better on other lines. Palo and Remy, on the other hand, are excellent.

If you've done Princess, you might want to do a search for my Princess vs. DCL comparison thread which contains a lot of detail.

The fireworks follow the pirate night deck party. Often you'll see other ships parked nearby to watch them! The nightclub area on the Dream is nice; it is better on the Fantasy (in fairness, I haven't seen the Dream since her dry dock). Don't miss any of the main stage shows. Bring your own reading material--there is no library. Sign up for the 50mb free internet on the first day. This may well be all you need on a short trip, but the freebie is only available until midnight on embarkation day. Check out Satellite Falls. It's a nice place to hang out during the day (adult only).

Yes, It is important that you educate yourself about the cruise using resources available like tips and tricks stickies on boards, research other social media sources and use the Disney Cruise Line website to gather information about your cruise first.

These boards exist to provide a resource to discuss and ask for more information about certain intricacies and experiences, not to provide information that is openly available to the cruiser or replace a good TA, as opinions on here, by their nature, are biased by the opinion of the author.

The cruiser needs to be knowledgeable about the product and form their own opinion first and ask questions afterwards as otherwise they may be lead to believe that they will have the same experience as another poster.

Just a quick glance at the review section can show how one cruiser found so many deficiencies and problems on their cruise, yet another on the same cruise had the best vacation of their lifetime.

Some read too much into the Pixie Dust on Disney cruises and then are disappointed when something special they read about happened to another poster, but not them. Those that didn't read the small print or realize about a policy.

Everyone here hopes to help and inform, but not mislead, because their opinion is just that. Their opinion. And the better informed you are from research first and questions later, the better set up and prepared for your cruise IMO.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Yes, It is important that you educate yourself about the cruise using resources available like tips and tricks stickies on boards, research other social media sources and use the Disney Cruise Line website to gather information about your cruise first.

These boards exist to provide a resource to discuss and ask for more information about certain intricacies and experiences, not to provide information that is openly available to the cruiser or replace a good TA, as opinions on here, by their nature, are biased by the opinion of the author.

The cruiser needs to be knowledgeable about the product and form their own opinion first and ask questions afterwards as otherwise they may be lead to believe that they will have the same experience as another poster.

Just a quick glance at the review section can show how one cruiser found so many deficiencies and problems on their cruise, yet another on the same cruise had the best vacation of their lifetime.

Some read too much into the Pixie Dust on Disney cruises and then are disappointed when something special they read about happened to another poster, but not them. Those that didn't read the small print or realize about a policy.

Everyone here hopes to help and inform, but not mislead, because their opinion is just that. Their opinion. And the better informed you are from research first and questions later, the better set up and prepared for your cruise IMO.

ex techie

Yes - Thanks Ex-Techie, as mentioned, We have cruised over 20 times and have been on Cruise Critics boards for many years, so we understand what we are asking for and the information we get back. We also explore as you mentioned, other available information. We like the info we get back from CC, because we are getting in many cases people's opinion or experiences, which we can then choose to take what we need from that information.

Short answer is, while Royal and Norwegian are experts on cruises, Disney has been an expert on family hotels, food and activities, and PUT that on a cruise ship.

The destinations and shore activities are the same, but it's the getting-there that's the actual difference.

Also, more and more of the "other" cruise lines seem to be jealously borrowing Disney's ideas--

Princess and Carnival have been trying their own "musical ship horn", the "Virtual porthole" on inside DCL Dream staterooms has now become a "virtual balcony" on other lines, and RCL tried to borrow Disney's rotational-dining idea, but...didn't quite get it.

DCL must be doing something right for the competition to be after them.

When the Magic launched, a standard cabin on DCL was 50% bigger than a normal cabin on most other lines. That's something else that others have started imitating.

DCL also changed the industry from "we tolerate kids" to "we welcome kids." The only line that came close pre-DCL was Premier, and their ships were awful.

This is not to say that there aren't things that other lines do better--there are. And DCL's prices are significantly higher than many other lines. But among the main-stream lines, their product is in many ways better than the competition.

When the Magic launched' date=' a standard cabin on DCL was 50% bigger than a normal cabin on most other lines. That's something else that others have started imitating.

DCL also changed the industry from "we tolerate kids" to "we welcome kids." The only line that came close pre-DCL was Premier, and their ships were awful.

This is not to say that there aren't things that other lines do better--there are. And DCL's prices are significantly higher than many other lines. But among the main-stream lines, their product is in many ways better than the competition.[/quote']

+1!

ex techie

Moki, ex techie and Ejanns are all absolutely right!! Is it considerably more expensive probably yes but you are getting your money's worth IMHO. Having been on most of the other major carriers Disney does it different and does it better. Having also been on the Dream with nearly 4000 other people I was shocked how it felt so organized and unchaotic. No kid tantrums or screaming!!! With the exception of the kid/family pool it was never crowded in any of the public areas as it has on other carriers and that to me is worth the mark up alone.

Another nice thing as you and your wife are traveling without kiddo responsibilities DCL was VERY good at enforcing the no kids policy in the adult sanctuary areas unlike on carnival and royal. So being experienced cruisers you've undoubtedly seen every port and every excursion but to me DCL makes the ship part of the trip to enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And DCL's prices are significantly higher than many other lines. But among the main-stream lines' date=' their product is in many ways better than the competition.[/quote']

Moki'smommy is an undisputed expert on DCL, but I will quibble slightly here to point out that Disney is NOT a mainstream line. In service, offerings, and pricing, it is actually in between the premium and luxury lines. If one considers HAL, Celebrity, etc. to be mainstream lines, then okay but the common wisdom puts them a notch above.

Those who compare Disney to Carnival are making an unfair comparison. Comparing Disney to Celebrity or HAL is more fair, as is (honestly) comparing Disney to Regent or Crystal.

Oh my, I obviously have a different definition of "mainstream lines" than some others.

To me, mainstream lines are Celebrity, Princess, etc. And yes, DCL is a half a notch above them. Yes, I've cruised both of them in the last few years. On the other hand, we have seen a marked decline in DCL quality, particularly in the last 5-6 years. Food quality has decreased. Staff training and service is far more spotty than it used to be. There are still some GREAT CMs on DCL, but there are more "also rans" than we used to experience. In my opinion, no way does DCL rank with the truly upscale lines although they would have you believe that they do. It think those lines are what they aspire to.

There are things that DCL does best--specifically main stage entertainment. THey also have the best looking ships and the best looking characters (but we don't cruise for characters any more.)

Celebrity gets my vote for food quality (I know, subjective).

Princess had some great food and some "just OK," but also had the best "around the ship" entertainment.

Sorry, but to me, Carnival in particular and NCL a close second are rather the bottom of the heap. No way I'd compare DCL to these. Carnival has been working hard to lose the "booze cruise" image, and has to some extent on the longer cruises...but again, it is a low end cruise line.

there is a very good podcast from a competing disney cruise line internet forum that may be of interest to you..

has lots of good information, including comparisons to royal (which that travel agency also represents)..

i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post a link or not.

in any case, i have to find it for you first :)

Edited by alaska_planner

Best advice.

1, Draw upon your best 7 year old memories.

2, Insist upon leaving your adult issues at the parking deck.

3. Sure its for children, so whats stopping you from being one?

3. Never forget this is Disney. (You all know what I mean).

4. Even if you cannot find Cinderella, she may find you.

5. Youth is wasted on the old, see 3 for explanation.

Best advice.

And as a "big kid" character addict :D , it helps to remember--

Be loose, play along, and you won't manage to make a fool of yourself.

If the character likes to stay in character (to embarrass you, a distinct possibility with Stitch), be ready for it; if Cindy only feels comfortable doing a photo-op or chatting as guest, go with that too.

It's repetitive, hugging little kids all day, so I try to find something unique and clever to engage their improv if they do want to stay in character. (Last park trip, had them sign a Disney recipe book.)

Edited by EJanss

Lots and lots of amazing opinions and information. Thanks all. I am looking forward to it, weather its a Ship or A Boat. LOL. I am sure my wife and I will have another amazing trip, sa we almost always do when we are on the seas.

Best advice.

2, Insist upon leaving your adult issues at the parking deck.

3. Sure its for children, so whats stopping you from being one?

3. Never forget this is Disney. (You all know what I mean).

Or sometimes Minnie Mouse rides the elevator with you e00f6171581ce73e5891d93ac086f07f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk