Sushi restaurants - Vancouver

marazul

Some things to consider....

• location... how far are you willing to walk from your hotel? Are you willing to travel outside of the downtown?
  • value.... do you want a meal under $20 or above? Weekdays and going at lunch offers savings.
  • AYCE.... Vancouver has a few All-You-Can-Eat locations.
  • wild or farmed? Alaska prides itself with wild.... but there are those like farmed for the marbling.

Some things to consider....

• location... how far are you willing to walk from your hotel? Are you willing to travel outside of the downtown? We are at Canada Place. Will walk or taxi for good sushi.
  • value.... do you want a meal under $20 or above? Weekdays and going at lunch offers savings. Savings is not a consideration, good quality is. Lunch places are always welcome.
  • AYCE.... Vancouver has a few All-You-Can-Eat locations. Quality is more important than quantity
  • wild or farmed? Alaska prides itself with wild.... but there are those like farmed for the marbling. I am open on this one

xixo-

My answers in red above. Thanks

More ideas...

https://www.yelp.ca/search?find_desc=best+sushi&find_loc=Vancouver%2C+BC

http://vancouver.about.com/od/restaurantsbars/tp/Top-5-Vancouver-Sushi-Restaurants.htm

I'll throw in three more downtown locations and a caveat:

For lunch, ShuRaku at Granville & Robson offers great value and a wider menu than 'just sushi' in case not all in your party are keen on raw fish.

Kaide is another high quality but also good value proposition - off the beaten track, the only tourists who ever end up here are ones who've been told to find it.

Comparable to Tojos on the raw front is the best overall seafood restaurant in the city - Blue Water Cafe in Yaletown. If budget is not a concern, this would be hands-down my reco for a 'one stop shop' of absolutely the best across-the-board fish & seafood, raw or cooked, that you could possibly visit.

The caveat - while Miku is justifiably well-regarded, they use the Aburi technique as their staple (flame-seared, so more carpaccio than sashimi). If that floats your boat, go for it - they also have a partial view so the location is great. For me though, sushi is mostly about straight-up sashimi so Miku is not somewhere I'd go - if your tastes run more like mine, avoid.

martincath-

great comments, thank you.

Yes, I agree with your tastes on sashimi, so I would have been disappointed with Miku. And Blue Water sounds like a winner as well as Tojo.

PS - I just looked at the Blue Water website. I think I am moving in!!! Fantastic!

Edited by marazul

• 2 weeks later...
martincath-

great comments, thank you.

Yes, I agree with your tastes on sashimi, so I would have been disappointed with Miku. And Blue Water sounds like a winner as well as Tojo.

PS - I just looked at the Blue Water website. I think I am moving in!!! Fantastic!

Save some room for me :D martincath, thank you for that tip :D